New Deathly Hallows teaser shots *Now with Spoilers!*

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:14 pm

I am sooo excited!!!

And a little sad that it's the last one, but mostly excited!!!

It's just strange to think this is probably the last time i'll wait for a midnight release of something HP related.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:53 pm

I am at work right now and I can only think about HP7:2

Please, stop having DTs, I'm trying to think about action scenes. Please, go have those hallucinations in the other room, there are clothing choices to anticipate.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:11 pm

One of these years I'll have friends who belong to the same fandoms as me and who are as excited about them as I am, enough to do costumes and parties and midnight showings/marathons.

I'll be seeing this on Sunday. Until I'm in the theater, I don't think I'll understand that this is the last one.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:44 am

I still don't get it, I don't think. That probably won't kick in until I buy the movie.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:11 pm

I felt like it was the last one because once this one is released on dvd, I can go out and buy all the movies (I don't own any of them).

I liked it, but I couldn't help but giggle the noises Volde makes. It's always made me giggle.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:42 pm

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:13 pm

I felt like it was the last one because once this one is released on dvd, I can go out and buy all the movies (I don't own any of them).

I liked it, but I couldn't help but giggle the noises Volde makes. It's always made me giggle.
I think Voldy-poo provided half of the comic relief in the movie. His awkward hug with Draco was excellent

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:16 pm

CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS AND/OR WATCHED THE TRAILERS

My only real complaint, other than it still seemed rather rushed: there seemed (to me) like there was an excessive amount of "cue laughter here" moments. The awkward hug, a few McGonagall moments, pretty much every scene with Neville (except the very final Nagini scene), etc. It just felt sort of like the filmmakers thought "oh, crap, a lot of really terrible things are happening, let's break the tension!" I don't know. I just found it distracting.

There were also quite a few changes from the book, but I don't really mind those as much, as it's a different medium to tell the same general story and there's only so much time to tell it in.

Also annoying: the dozen or so girls aged 20-30 sitting in the row directly behind me outright crying throughout the whole film. Not sobbing. Bawling. I have no problem with most of the audience crying when the Weasleys are hunched over Fred's body. Or when Remus' and Tonks' bodies are lying next to each other holding hands. Or even when Remus and Tonks reach out their hands towards each other before the battle and aren't quite able to touch (with the audience knowing that they're both going to die). Or when Snape dies and/or Harry watches his memories. These are understandable to me.

But outright bawling the entire time? Not cool.

Also not cool: people at a midnight showing who haven't read the books or watched any of the other movies. Because then I get to listen to "who's that?" "what's going on?" etc. all night. And of course they can't whisper, because the bawling would drown that out, so they have to talk at normal volumes.

Somewhat cool: running into the Lt. Governor at the midnight showing.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Also not cool: people at a midnight showing who haven't read the books or watched any of the other movies. Because then I get to listen to "who's that?" "what's going on?" etc. all night. And of course they can't whisper, because the bawling would drown that out, so they have to talk at normal volumes.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harry-pot ... -saw-them/
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:07 pm

I am sooo sick of articles like that one above. Dear author, you are not better than everybody else in the world because you managed to avoid reading Harry Potter or seeing any of the movies. Get off your pretentious soapbox please.

All in all though, I have no idea why someone would see the movies if they haven't read the books. Clearly they are completely unintelligible.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:15 pm

I am sooo sick of articles like that one above. Dear author, you are not better than everybody else in the world because you managed to avoid reading Harry Potter or seeing any of the movies. Get off your pretentious soapbox please.

All in all though, I have no idea why someone would see the movies if they haven't read the books. Clearly they are completely unintelligible.
...it's a comedy website lol

You're taking it too seriously. It's just a joke.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:31 pm

Well, darn then.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Dear author, you are not better than everybody else in the world because you managed to avoid reading Harry Potter or seeing any of the movies. Get off your pretentious soapbox please.
To be fair, at the beginning he says that he feels no superiority for not having seen them, and also tries to guess the plots and story-thus-far purely from looking at the trailers. It's really pretty funny.

He has also talked openly about the movie/books in the past, meaning he's actually seen/read them and is just having fun.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:21 am

Maybe I misinterpreted, sorry. I'm sensitive to it because I've read so many similar articles that were being 100% serious-- so my sentiment is still there, even if it doesn't apply to that particular article.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:19 pm

I feel like you must not have actually read it, and commented based on the title in the URL, because it's way too funny(like hilarious) to take seriously. Haha.

Nontheless, I agree with you. Though, I don't think it's unintelligible to see a movie without reading the book. I think everyone has done that before. Sometimes it's a matter of preference, maybe others just don't even have that much time to read. I mean, I saw Watchmen without reading the graphic novel. :wink:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:11 pm

CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOKS AND/OR WATCHED THE TRAILERS

My only real complaint, other than it still seemed rather rushed: there seemed (to me) like there was an excessive amount of "cue laughter here" moments. The awkward hug, a few McGonagall moments, pretty much every scene with Neville (except the very final Nagini scene), etc. It just felt sort of like the filmmakers thought "oh, crap, a lot of really terrible things are happening, let's break the tension!" I don't know. I just found it distracting.

Yes! They felt so awkward to me because I felt like I should have laughed but I wasn't really feeling it, even if I might have laughed at the same exact thing in another context.

Seeing Sirius made me tear up more than seeing his parents or Remus or anyone else dead, though that whole scene was probably my favorite, followed very closely by the Snape memory reveal.

I wanted to be happy that Ron and Hermione finally got on with the kissing but it was so...soap operatic that I kind of laughed at it and not with it.

Visually, when they put up the protective spells...amazing. Seriously gorgeous and made it worth seeing the movie in theaters, just for that sight alone.

Helena Bonham Carter actually managed to convince me she could act in one of these films (she could in other, non-HP movies but I always found her over the top in a way that wasn't how the character was supposed to be in these). She just didn't do the crazy right, as far as I was concerned. But she was great as the meek Hermione in Gringotts.

Overall, fun movie. :)

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:44 pm

i liked it.

i have not read the books yet, and i found the movies to be completely intelligible, thanks. i actually CHOSE to do it this way, and i'll tell you why:

when the first one came out, i wasn't terribly interested in it. books or movie. i love fantasy, both books and movies, but this franchise just had soooo many crazed fans, i just couldn't get past it. but my friend who had read the books that were out at that point anyway(which because of his ADD was a big thing, dude doesn't like to read because he can't concentrate on the book enough to follow it, then doesn't finish) so he loved the books, and wanted to see the movie, and dragged me along.

I can't say i was a changed man after seeing the first movie, but i didn't hate it. it was endearing and i liked it more than i thought i would. however. after having watched it, all i heard from any of the fans that watched the movie was how disappointed they were in it.

now, i love movies. tv too... and i especially love stories that have good character development. after the second movie came out and having watched it with the same friend, and hearing the same reactions from the fans and being more hooked on the franchise at that point, i made the decision that even though i wanted to read the books at that point, i would hold off until the movies were done. i just didn't want to ruin the movies by reading the books first. and i'm stubborn enough that once the movies got better and i stopped hearing the fans complain so much, i still stuck it out. now i can actually read the books. :)

i figure that even though i know most of the plot now that i've seen the movies, i'll still enjoy the books.

anyway, i enjoyed the movie, and i'm glad that there was no naked harry, and no dance scene, and less goofy video of voldemort making faces than the first part. and i no longer have to worry about people ruining the ending for me. though it was pretty predictable. it was well done.

after the final battle, i was concerned it would end a little too much like return of the jedi... but yay, no celebrations. and i'm a little sad to see it end, but there were people crying through the whole movie which was a little too much.

also i didn't have a problem with the comedic breaks. i mean sure it's the final movie and all, but it's not like the others didn't have their comic relief.

i thought the epilogue was a tad funny in that they tried to show age a bit just by adding facial hair on the dudes. but overall i'm glad the epilogue was there. it was comforting.

finally i have to say i was seriously disappointed by the previews. i mean, this is probably going to be the biggest, most anticipated movie of the year. i really don't see that being contested by any movie yet to come out. it's just such a long and beloved franchise. and yet the previews that ran were SO LAME! the only good ones were sherlock holmes and a quick look at batman. and yes i'm happy to see them coming out. but the other movies are s***. advertising a christmas cartoon in july and having it come out in november? really? warhorse? come on. and cowboys and aliens looks fun, but i've seen previews for that at every movie i've seen this year. so yeah. disappointed.
Ubernaustrum

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Seeing Sirius made me tear up more than seeing his parents or Remus or anyone else dead
Sirius was both a beloved character and a huge blow to Harry. I totally see it.

Helena Bonham Carter actually managed to convince me she could act in one of these films (she could in other, non-HP movies but I always found her over the top in a way that wasn't how the character was supposed to be in these). She just didn't do the crazy right, as far as I was concerned. But she was great as the meek Hermione in Gringotts.
She's a carefree and wanton kind of crazy in the movies, whereas ominous type of crazy in the books. Bothers me, too.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:50 pm

also i didn't have a problem with the comedic breaks. i mean sure it's the final movie and all, but it's not like the others didn't have their comic relief.
I didn't really have a problem with the fact that the comedic breaks existed. I had a problem with the awkwardness of their placement.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:24 pm

She's a carefree and wanton kind of crazy in the movies, whereas ominous type of crazy in the books. Bothers me, too.

You speak to my heart with this. I get that movies have to be, to some extent, different than the books but there are many varieties of crazy and hers sometimes crossed into the comical. Or was that just her hairpiece? Either way, I remember her scaring me for a second in one of the other movies (probably OotP) but the rest of the time? Eh.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:20 pm

I think Helena Bonham Carter was an inspired choice for Bellatrix, I"m hugely dissappointed that they turned Bellatrix into "Let's make her like a Tim Burton character!" with the costume, hair, makeup and then her performance. Book Bella was so much worse than Burton Bella (who is more comical than menacing).
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:14 pm

I think Helena Bonham Carter was an inspired choice for Bellatrix, I"m hugely dissappointed that they turned Bellatrix into "Let's make her like a Tim Burton character!" with the costume, hair, makeup and then her performance. Book Bella was so much worse than Burton Bella (who is more comical than menacing).
There you go! Yes! She's just like a Tim Burton character! Which makes sense.

Also I finally saw Part 1 this weekend. Looking forward to washing it out with Part 2 sometime.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:57 am

I saw the movie, liked it, choked up when Fred died. Don't have a strong opinion, actually.

But I wanted to talk about Harry Potter as a whole, and this seems as good a thread as any to discuss it.
I've been re-reading the books, almost done Half-Blood Prince at the moment... and it occurred to me...

What exactly is Voldemort's Endgame? What does he want the world to be like if he "wins"?
Is it all muggles and muggle-borns dead? Him as King of Everything? Or is it just to live forever?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:20 am

I think the books imply he wants all muggles/muggle-borns/squibs dead and to be in charge of everything. Although once he's accomplished that I imagine he'd get bored rather quickly...
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:16 pm

random HP insight I had today on my lunch walk:

What's just about the first magical lesson we learn in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone?

The wand chooses the wizard.

What winds up being the key to defeating Voldemort?

a variant of The wand chooses the wizard.

I'm not sure how much I like that. It's very neat and precise thematically. Like deep magic in Narnia, it's a way for Harry to win without being lethal. But what I"m not sure about is the sense that destiny is in control. I suppose it does fit with the story's spiritual bent by suggesting greater forces at play, then that which mortals play...
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm finally seeing the movie tomorrow!! Life has been so crazy that I haven't had a moment to stop for a movie. I arranged for my sister to watch the younger 2 kids while Tyler is in school and I asked Brian on a date to see an early matinee tomorrow. I couldn't miss seeing the last one in the theater.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Return to “Milagre Town Square”