Jane Austen Book (& Movie) Club

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Jane Austen Book (& Movie) Club

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:52 am

Here's the deal. *stands* My name is Alea and I have a problem: I'm currently addicted to Jane Austen. At least, some things related to her, namely everything P&P and others loosely based on her novels.

My introduction to Austen was in AP English, when I first read P&P by force. Meaning, my teacher hounded me -it was required reading but I was convinced I would hate it- and the night before the big test, I gave in, grabbed my book and proceeded to read the whole book without being able to put it down. It was love at first read. I let it end there, however, and didn't resume my relationship with Ms. Austen until college, when I stumbled upon the BBC P&P in the college library (my second viewing of it; we watched it in the AP English class). It rekindled the flames temporarily, but alas, that also ended rather quickly.

I at some point watched Bridget Jones's Diary, then Bride and Prejudice came along and I was starting to think that maybe, just maybe, I should look into her other books. But of course, being the lazy git that I am when it comes to certain things, I put it on the back burner.

This year, I decided to go see Becoming Jane and since then, I can't get enough of anything even remotely related to Jane Austen. I've read Darcy's Story by Janet Aylmer, Austenland by Shannon Hale, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler, and The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler. Basically, everything except Jane Austen's other five books.

I'm somewhat apprehensive about it, scared that I won't like them -them being Sense and Sensibility, Northanger Abbey, Persuasion, Mansfield Park, Emma- or that I will like them, just not as much as I want to and that this disappointment will be tantamount to not liking them at all.

So - a million words later- I thought I'd ask around here first to see if anyone was interested in reading them with me, for moral support if you will. If no one is interested, I can go off in search of a forum for Jane Austen, which would be easy enough.

Any takers?

I'm also interested in any good film adaptations of the books for after the readings. I know S&S was made into a movie (Kate Winslet is in it, I think) but I haven't seen it and don't want to ruin the book by watching it first.

*sits*
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:00 am

I'm reading my first Jane Austen book, having actively avoided them for years. I'm about 1/3 through Pride and Prejudice. Updates to follow.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:23 am

I know my sisters drool over the film of S&S. I've been meaning to re-read P&P, or to start S&S. And while it isn't exactly Austen, I've been meaning to read Jane Eyre as well.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:45 am

I'm currently taking a Jane Austen class in which we are reading all her full lenght novels, some of her unfinished works, and a lot of her juvenalia (mostly short stories written when she was a child. History of England is particularly hilarious.)

So far we've done S&S, P&P and NA. We've watched the Ang Lee/Emma Thompson S&S, the A&E P&P, Bridget Jones Diary and Bride and Prejudice.

I love P&P. I'm pretty fond of S&S. And I don't like NA much, but I think that's because I'm not steeped in the tradition of the gothic, so that element of satire isn't as funny.
-Kim

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:23 am

I know it's gets a bad rap sometimes, but I love love love love the Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma. It also has Jeremy Northam as Mr. Knightley and Toni Collette as Harriett. I happen to have an eternal crush on Jeremy Northam and this movie was the start of it ("Badly done, Emma, badly done"). And then, of course, the movie Clueless was a modern day adaptation of the Emma story. I didn't like it all that much.

The other movie that I adore is the 1996 version of Jane Eyre with Charlotte Gainesbourg as Jane and William Hurt as Mr. Rochester. Charlotte Gainesbourg is amazing. She transforms from a very plain looking girl at the beginning to a beautiful woman, not in changing how she looks but simply by emanating beauty from inside. It's hard to explain.

Anyway, I think I've read them all except for NA and loved them but it's been about 10 years. I always lump them in with the Bronte's Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre, only because I read them ALL within a short time period. I remember keeping a piece of paper and writing down all the words that I didn't know and looking them up. They use sooo many cool words! I would be willing to read any of them once you decide which one.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:39 am

I read all of Jane Austen's novel by the time I was 14, and by the time I was 17 I'd read all her supplementary work and--so wonderful--her letters. I'm (obviously) a fan. My Austen Seminar in college was perhaps my favorite course.

S&S is my favorite. In order, I suppose it would go:

S&S
Emma
P&P
NA
Persuasion
MP

(Mansfield Park sorta kinda completely sucks. Definitely don't start off with that one). For all the love that everyone lavishes on P&P (and I do get why) I think S&S is by far her best book. It's HI-LARIOUS.

Ps. Clueless is the best adaptation of EMMA ever. Seriously. The Emma Thompson/Kate Winslet S&S is delightful.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:38 am

Alea, I have the same problem! I'm obsessed with P and P, and I've read Emma and Northanger Abbey and loved them as well, but I just can't get myself to read the others! I definitely want to read the rest.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:59 am

Kelly, I do like S&S but I just can't get over how much I hate HATE HATE Marianne. She drives me crazy. I can't find it in myself to in any way identify with her or like her.

I mean, there are characters in P&P that bother me, too, but they're the ones that are supposed to bother me because they also bother Lizzy.
-Kim

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:35 am

I've only read Emma, and P&P, and bits of Sense and Sensibility.

Wait.

No.

That's not right. Back up.

Reading was always my way of bonding with my parents. Not just as a toddler or elementary-schooler, either. I learned to read when I was three years old. I don't remember a time when I did not read. However, that did nothing to take away the pleasure of someone reading to me. My mother has read me so many of the classics, children's and otherwise. Even as an early teenager, every week or so she'd be lying in bed and I'd lay down beside her and she'd read to me. Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, All Creatures Great and Small. Even when I finally, finally got past being read to, I would still go and we'd have "read ins" -- each with a stack of books next to us, just reading in the same room. This was probably the salvation of our relationship during my late teenagehood.

Jane Austen is part of my maternal heritege. My mother is probably the singly most dedicated Austenphile that you will ever meet. I do not care who responds in this thread with impressive Austen credentials -- she has more. She rereads all the books at least yearly, and has written random papers about them (not published anywhere, but very, very good).

When I was 14-15, she read Pride and Prejudice to me. I must say, that was an excellent introduction to Jane Austen -- having my mother handy to translate the pieces that were over my head or a bit too antiquated for me to understand. She began to read me Sense and Sensibility, but that was about the time I stopped wanting to be read to -- not about the book, it was just developmental.

And, so, as much as I liked the P&P, I stayed away from Jane Austen on my own. Partly out of a sense of guilty -- that Mom should be reading this to me. But it was also partly because of my own individuation needs. I was a devoted reader, just like my mother, but I needed an identity separate from her, as well. She was such a devoted Austenphile that the easiest way to do this was to steer myself as far away from Austen as possible. My mother has never liked sci-fi or fantasy, and so the fact that I'm posting this on an OSC forum does say something about my success with that. Also, I had doubts about my ability to read it without my mother translating for me.

However, I went through a recent fit of needing to read the classics. I went home for Christmas last year and had long discussions with my mother about Oscar Wilde. She lives in West Texas -- the people she can have literary discussions with on any level are few and far between.

And so, one day, she walked into a room where I was sitting and announced that "I've decided it's high time you read Emma."

While at the age of 16 this would most likely have provoked rebellion, at the age of twenty-seven, it provoked a different sort of response. I'm secure enough with my identity to be able to handle the fact that Mom's far more literary than me. My ego can handle the fact that Austen is her bailiwick. And, well, I'd like to discuss Emma with her.

So, back to North Dakota I went, picked up Emma from a "Barnes and Noble Classics" table. I read it, and oh God, it was wonderful. I loved it. Loved the fact that I loved this heroine who I wanted so badly to loathe. I hate pretty popular girls. I love the fact that Jane Austen was aware of this when she was writing this "heroine whom no one would like but myself."

And then, yes, I loved the Gwyneth Paltrow version, and I really adored re-watching clueless and getting all the cute little references to the original.

I started to read Persuasion online at my old fieldwork site, but didn't get too far. I think that's my next one; however, I'm quite interested in it.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:35 pm

Alea, I'll read Austen along with you. I've already read S&S and P&P, but I will gladly read them all.

Emma Thompson's S&S is definitely amazing. I think as a romance, it is better than the book (I didn't quite see what was so great about Edward in the book). But I really loved the book too, just more as a comedy.

I'm passionately in love with the P&P miniseries, and the Kiera Knightley version--though, to be fair, I haven't watched the latter since reading the book.

I liked the Gwyneth Paltrow Emma (largely because Ewan McGregor was singing within his first 10 minutes), but I still love Clueless more. Then again, I've never read the book, so I can't really judge the adaptations.

I absolutely loved Austenland. I reread parts of it basically every week, just to brighten my day.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:45 pm

Alea, I'll read Austen along with you. I've already read S&S and P&P, but I will gladly read them all.
Ooh, thank you! I'm in the middle of S&S right now and should be done at some point tomorrow.

I'm not at home right now, so getting my hands on another book might be a tad bit difficult. What say you to starting one next week, say the 14th or 15th? I have no preference, and we'll have both read the same two by then.

ETA:
Willoughby is a bastard to the highest degree. At least, that is how I perceive him currently.

caretgraff
Launchie
Launchie

Postby caretgraff » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:29 pm

Oooh- Northanger Abbey was awesome. Catherine is so cute. I just started Sense and Sensibility, but then I found the Ender/Bean books, and they were a little more exciting... I'll go back to it when I'm feeling girly. Right now I want to take over the world! :!: That is no time for Austenizing.

I love Jane. I even named my computer Jane... but admittedly that was inspired half by Miss Austen and half by Miss Philotic Miracle.

Don't you love the BBC P&P? And how was Becoming Jane? I haven't seen it yet- it was only at a few artsy theatres, none of which were conveniently located, so I figure I'll wait for the DVD. I don't recommend the Linda Berdoll P&P spinoffs- they're kind of on the racy side... :oops:

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:55 pm

How about starting Emma on the 15th?

And I agree: Willoughby is a turdface.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:01 pm

So far, P&P has been quite boring in plot. However, I like Mr Darcy. I hope he does not stop being mean and snarky and aloof, although I fear he will be made human. It's too bad, because if he starts fitting in to Society, he's gonna lose all that makes him good.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:53 pm

LB: Emma on the 15th, perfect!

Caret: Becoming Jane was fantastic. I knew what the outcome would be and I still got suckered into hoping and, even for a second, believing that things would work out differently for her. Maybe it was just bad timing, but watching that movie put me into a funk so that I could hardly be consoled by anything at all -and that is my way of paying it a compliment to the highest degree, that it could stop me in my tracks so thoroughly. Yes, when it gets to DVD, you need to watch it.

Ali: Mr. Darcy is fantastic. What did/do you think of Mr. Bennet? His overall disdain toward his wife and younger daughters also made him a favorite of mine.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:46 am

I love Mr. Bennett. In the BBC movie, he has a line in response to going to a party, something like "Yes, the [so-and-so's] are nice people, but then I would have to leave the house." That line gets used a lot by my husband. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:28 am

Am I the only woman on earth who isn't smitten with Darcy? Honestly? I don't really like him, and I never really have. Half the time I wonder if girls only love Darcy because they know, somewhere, in the back of their minds, that EVERYONE loves Darcy.

I'm a Henry Tilney girl, myself. And leave me alone, I read NORTHANGER ABBEY years before I ever got together with my Henry.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:35 am

It's his temperament for me, and it's nothing new or forced or bandwagon...for me. He's seemingly tough and has a****** tendencies, but later reveals he is a bit softer than he would have you think. In a weird way, he reminds me of Peter Wiggin -though you're left guessing more with Peter if you only have EG to work with- and my feelings for Peter Wiggin, I can tell you, are not so common as that.

I finished S&S and I must say, I was surprised at the end. I knew what happened had to happen, I just wasn't sure how she was going to make it happen. Good stuff.

There was a lot of annoyance with Lucy Steele and her, to quote 10 Things I Hate About You, 'Look at me, look at me' attitude. Willoughby is -for personal reasons- now the biggest, most unredeemable jerk I've ever read about.

Marianne and Elinor both represent the worst sides of myself, making it hard for me to follow them at times. Marianne for her flare for the dramatic and Elinor for her tendency to just bottle everything up and press on as though nothing were the matter.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:45 pm

I'm currently reading Austenland, I'll let you guys know how it is.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:43 pm

I'm not smitten with him, I just see him as the only really sane person in the book. Mr Bennett comes close at times, as does Elizabeth, but they're still a bit too caught up in everything. I'd probably dislike the man personally, but in the book at least he's someone I can empathise with.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:52 pm

I watched Sense & Sensibility last night -and as a side note, I was pretty delighted to see House in it, even if he was a minor character.

It wasn't a bad movie in the least bit and pretty accurate to the book. My major problem was trying to stop myself from playing a variance of "6 Degrees of Separation" for all the actors so I could enjoy the movie.

I kept seeing Emma Thompson as Nanny McPhee and that led to Colin Firth, who costarred in Nanny, which of course led to Bridget Jones's Diary (since both CF and Hugh Grant were in that one, as well as Mrs. Dashwood as Bridget's mom). Then I kept smirking at Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson playing husband and wife in Love Actually, which also starred Colin Firth. I'm also relatively certain that the actress who played Charlotte Palmer also played Umbridge in Harry Potter, which of course stars Alan Rickman.

Maybe that whole thought process can be attributed to the day I had, but as I said, once I got beyond playing that game, I enjoyed the movie.

caretgraff
Launchie
Launchie

Postby caretgraff » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:40 pm

Has anyone seen the new Austen movies that were supposed to have aired this spring on some British channel? I think they were coming to A&E this fall, but I don't really remember. I was really disappointed that they weren't available in the states yet in April... but I must have been distracted by something. Forgetfulness is helpful in getting over disappointment. ;)
I'm a Henry Tilney girl, myself. And leave me alone, I read NORTHANGER ABBEY years before I ever got together with my Henry.
I was smitten with Darcy until I read Northanger Abbey... Then I realized how much more I liked Mr. Tilney. He's so much funnier and sweeter and snarkier. I would much rather have a Tilney than a Darcy, though it seems blasphemous to say it...
I watched Sense & Sensibility last night -and as a side note, I was pretty delighted to see House in it, even if he was a minor character.
I just re-watched that, after not having seen it in years... Cast of thousands! Don't you love Hugh Laurie? Did you know he was in Stewart Little too? Totally different role, but still adorable. I think I just like his face. :) And wasn't Emma Thompson in Harry Potter as Professor Trelawney? With Alan Rickman again... They must be work buddies! :D

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:28 pm

I'm also relatively certain that the actress who played Charlotte Palmer also played Umbridge in Harry Potter, which of course stars Alan Rickman.
She also was in Nanny McPhee

Sir John Middleton is Cornelius Fudge in Harry Potter.
Bridget's Mom/Mrs. Dashwood is Madam Pomfrey.
And the Fat Lady in the Gryphindor painting? Mrs. Jennings.

There's a really brief cameo of Crispin Bonham-Carter (Mr. Bingley in P&P) in the party scene in Bridget Jones (he's talking to Salmon Rushdie)

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:50 pm

Hey Alea, how far are you in Emma? I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm liking it so far. Mr. Woodhouse is certainly an intriguing character, not at all how I thought he'd be, but I think he's awesome. What is it with Jane Austen and such distinctly weird fathers?
I'm already loving Mr. Knightley (though I wish he weren't so old). And I'm very glad this story started off with a crisis of sorts in Emma's life. Frankly, reading about her perfect lifestyle could get exhausting.
Anyway, off to reading.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:43 pm

You're farther than I am; I had to wait to get it until late last night and just picked it up today, after finishing a different book that I was reading in the meantime.

I do agree that Mr. Knightly is older than I like (I mean c'mon, 38?) but I love that he is the only one who keeps Emma in line. Mr. Woodhouse, on the other hand, has yet to do anything to put him in my favor. He's not bad, just maybe a little boring?

Then again, I'm not that far into it so I shouldn't be too quick to judge.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:48 pm

Oh my God. Mr. Knightly is my boyfriend's age.

*faints*

*looks at boyfriend in a whole new light*

I knew he was young for his age, but that just seems impossible.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:09 am

I can't sleep. Meh. So...some thoughts.

For those who haven't read...be warned of potential spoilers below.

Emma:

I'm 1/5 through Emma and am still somewhat shocked at how long it seems to be. I keep thinking I'm making a dent in it and I've only gone a chapter! So far, Mr. Knightly is my favorite character, if only because he is actually outspoken, flat out argues with Emma, and is fair in doing and being both.

Harriet, good grief. She has the type of personality that makes cat people cat people - who wants that never ending doting?

Mr. Elton - I've seen Clueless, so I can only guess that he'll have a similar experience in the book. I mean, the picture in the locker vs a painting of a likeness (Cher/Emma made them, the subject of each doesn't really matter).

Mr. Woodhouse and his aversion to anything that involves normalcy, like eating cake at a wedding...in regards to annoyance he's caused me, I rank him right up there with Mrs. Bennet, Mary Musgrove or Lucy Steele.

Thoughts on characters in the books I've read:

I'm finding in general, I'm connecting more and on a deeper level with the males than the females. Mr. Darcy, Colonel Brandon, Edward Farras. Shy, reserved, introverted, proud are all words I'd use to describe these men. Not necessarily all the words/character, but at least one. I understand when Willoughby -that ass- said that Colonel Brandon was spoken well of but never sought for company (I so get that) and I understand the description of Benwick as a person who has a lot to say and seems relieved when he is encouraged to get over his shyness to actually say it (Okay, I may be off on that character, but I'm almost positive that was the right person the sentiment was meant for). I understand that people are going to sometimes do things they think are right, hurt people in the process, and then once realized, try to put things right. Maybe that's why I fall a little bit in love with the men in these books; as Ender says, when you truly understand someone, you also love them.

I, for a moment, felt, and still do I suppose, that I could relate somewhat to Elinor and Marianne Dashwood but it doesn't come close to equating itself to the connection I feel with the men. (I won't pretend for an instant that I ever felt like I could be an Elizabeth Bennet and if I've ever said as much, I should be slapped).

Which makes reading the books slightly disappointing. I know these are about the women, I know this. But I am disappointed that the men were so little explained/shown and mattered only in so far as how they were of use to the women. Is this wrong of me, to wish an author focused more on the people who had all the power in her time and thus didn't need her voice? Am I missing the point in finding more intrigue in the men?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:00 am

I just wanted to say that the movie of Emma came out just before my husband and I were dating and we both really loved it. He once sent me a card and in the return address, instead of putting his name, he put "Mr. Knightly" except he left out the "L" which led to a WHOLE lot of teasing from my juvenile brothers. Oh yeah, the Mr. Knighty comment still comes up occasionally ten years later.

I love Mr. Knightly, which probably led to my huge crush on Jeremy Northam.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:24 pm

All this Jane Austen talk made me re-watch my BBC P&P DVD (heeheehee). Nothing compares to that version. The subtlety of looks and glances, and the sheer annoyingness of Lydia "I want to go to BRI-Ton!!!" *whine, whine*
Man, it's so good. I tried to watch just part of it, space it out over a couple days, but I ended up watching it all.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:48 pm

Possible spoilers

Emma is the type of girl I would hate in real life. She thinks a little too highly of herself. Really, why is her opinion so much better than everyone else's? As a matter of fact, Harriet wouldn't be my favorite either. Can't she ever have her own views? Knightley, however, is absolutely amazing. Mrs. Weston is pretty cool too (I especially loved her "Don't you think Emma is hot" topic change).

I agree, Mr. Woodhouse's oddity is getting to be annoying. At first he was just strange enough to be entertaining, but now...not so much. Maybe he'll go back to being so weird he's cool, but I doubt it.

I've always found Austen's men a bit more believable than her leading ladies. While some, especially the fathers, are a little over the top, most of the guys (to me at least) are more realistic than the girls. The females seem to be a bit too distinct in their personalities. Maybe its just me, but I thought, for example, the Dashwoods were too extreme. I know passionate girls, but none of them hold a candle to Marianne. Your average girl is never that intense all the time. Of course, I tend to hang out with relatively mellow people, so perhaps my sampling of the population isn't good enough. The males seem to be a bit more balanced. Then again, Austen didn't really have as much material regarding them that needed to balance out, so maybe they appear more normal because there is less of them to see.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:37 am

The females seem to be a bit too distinct in their personalities. Maybe its just me, but I thought, for example, the Dashwoods were too extreme.
Thank you! They (females, not specifically the Dashwoods) do seem to be caricatures of women, exaggerated in certain personality traits that just don't seem healthy or normal at all.
All this Jane Austen talk made me re-watch my BBC P&P DVD (heeheehee).
:D

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:15 am

*stabbits Lydia and Kitty*
*stabbits Mr Collins*

*hopes Mr Darcy gets more screen time, because he really hasn't had much and I am still wondering what all the fuss is about*

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:37 am

The females seem to be a bit too distinct in their personalities. Maybe its just me, but I thought, for example, the Dashwoods were too extreme.
Thank you! They (females, not specifically the Dashwoods) do seem to be caricatures of women, exaggerated in certain personality traits that just don't seem healthy or normal at all.

Well, Austen wrote social satire. Of course the situations and personalities are exaggerated, no?
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:12 pm

Well, I finished P&P. Mr Darcy is a good man and honourable, and I was glad to see he retained his disdain for idiots. But I still don't understand the SQUEE ROMANTIC! reaction he seems to inspire in so many.

I enjoyed the book irrationally. The subject matter is depressingly dull. Woo, Society courtships. It was full of infuriating people who I simply wanted off my page. I will chalk it up as a testament to Ms Austen's genius that I enjoyed the book anyway. I think I quite enjoy the style of her prose.

So, what should I read next?

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:57 pm

I enjoyed the book irrationally. The subject matter is depressingly dull. Woo, Society courtships. It was full of infuriating people who I simply wanted off my page. I will chalk it up as a testament to Ms Austen's genius that I enjoyed the book anyway. I think I quite enjoy the style of her prose.
I have to agree with that entirely. I love it when authors make you love something you should hate.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”