College Football | BCS

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

College Football | BCS

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:13 am

On Wisconsin, On Wisconsin
Plunge right through that line,
Run the ball clear down the field, boys
Touchdown sure this time
On Wisconsin, On Wisconsin
Fight on for her fame,
Fight, Fellows, Fight, Fight, Fight
We'll win this game!
So, anyone NCAA football fans 'round these parts? Good - 'cause we need to discuss how much we all hate the BCS system.

Who watched that great OSU/Michigan game? Who realized that the game was completely worthless, and in the words of The Onion, "The players could have lined up, alphabetically, in the endzone with nothing but helmets on and jerked off for 60 minutes, and they'd still be rated #1 and #2." The game was absolutely meaningless, and Michigan lost nothing since they're still #2 and will still play OSU in the championship. And because of ridiculous rules about how many teams from a conference can be in the BCS, one-loss Wisconsin gets some cheap-ass bowl game for having the same record as Michigan in the same conference with a similar strength of shedule. BCS = BS.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:29 am

I don't know anything about it but my husband is a huge USC fan and is hoping that they win on Saturday and that then they will be #2 and will play in the championship. But i know nothing. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby Petra » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:32 am

I am a Gator. I am bitter.
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:20 am

yeah i'm a wisconsinite. i agree, the BCS is bullhockey. while i'm glad that wisconsin gets any kind of bowl game, i think that they were slightly robbed this year. they played well. they even played alright against michigan. they lost, but never really gave up. if the game was scheduled later in the season it would have been a better game. and we never even had the chance to play osu. things could have been a lot different. and hey, considering we're going through a transition... really happy. they do deserve a better bowl game though.

ah well. the way i figure it is that next year the badgers will be on top again. they'll take it all the way.
Ubernaustrum

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:53 am

My brother goes to Madison, so I half-root for Wisconsin, and half don't have time to follow football at all.

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Re: College Football | BCS

Postby v-girl » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:02 pm

Who watched that great OSU/Michigan game?
I DID I DID! Actually, I watched it from the eighth row of the Ohio stadium and it was awesome. I lost my voice after the game.

And yeah, Wisconsin only had once loss, but they didn't play us. If Wisconsin was even going to be considered for the national championship, they would've been scheduled to play OSU. Though I admit, they played pretty well against Illinois and PSU.

I'd rather not play in the championship against Michigan. Mostly because I'm afraid we'll lose. I'd rather play USC because I think we'd kill them, no offense to Mark, Nom. ;)

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:19 am

The way I see it is this...Michigan played well very well...and they still lost...the final was by three, but the game wasn't really that close...basically Michigan gave OSU their best shot and still lost...now I realize that anything could happen if the teams meet again...but OSU took Michgan's best shot and beat them...I think that if they play again...same situation...same result...

Here's my view...Michigan's out...you had your chance, played well, still lost...you're gone...you didn't even win your conference...

The team that should be on the fast track to #2...USC...if you win out, you are in...you played poorly against Oregan St...but you still almost made a comeback...I think you would give OSU the best game...

The next two teams are essentially tied and need some help...Florida and Arkansas...one of you will win the SEC...and you will both be praying for a USC loss...I think the winner of this game should be #2 if USC loses...

Norte Dame...you are pretty much out...unless you crush USC by so much and the Florida/Arkansas game is sooo terrible that no one would dream of matching them up against OSU...that being said...it's not going to happen...

Bosie State...going undefeated means nothing...go home...

Wisconsin...you have one loss...and are a pretty good football team...one problem...you are the third best team in the conference...if you aren't even #2 in your conference...how can you be #2 overall???

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:51 am

I wholeheartedly agree with Eddie. Mostly because I want to roadtrip to Arizona with my friends to watch the game!
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:39 am

Not BCS, but:

I'M GOING TO A BOWL GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(as a member of the band)

Rice is in a bowl for the first time in 45 years! (Since the Cotton Bowl way back in the day.)
-Kim

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:12 pm

Anyone else eagerly anticipating 6:30-8:00?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:46 pm

There is a general state of depression in our house over the USC loss yesterday. So...no, not particularly.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:03 pm

We might've had a little bit of a party when USC lost. I'm sorry!

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:12 pm

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:04 am

so, are you traveling out to arizona? i'm not, but two of my roommates are going to the game. i'll be stuck at home watching it on tv. but i am glad florida is playing. it should be a good game!

Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Petra » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:09 am

If we can get tickets, we're going.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:14 am

So we have 2 pweb bowl game matchups? That's kinda cool.
-Kim

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:15 am

this article basically says everything i have to say about the BCS.

take it down.
Ubernaustrum

Return to “Milagre Town Square”