We named the dog Indiana!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

We named the dog Indiana!

Postby locke » Thu May 22, 2008 12:35 pm

I caught a midnight screening. It is different, but it is still Indiana Jones, and there's something remarkably satisfying about it even as Spielberg and Lucas push it to get more ridiculous, impossible and over the top in the action stunts throughout the film (though not much can top the refrigerator, just saying, that's about as OTT as you can get).

I think my favorite part was the chase through the college campus.

I'd see it again in the theatre if given the oppurtunity. it's very satisfying somehow despite being tremendously silly.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu May 22, 2008 4:32 pm

We saw a midnight screening, too. My brother was extremely disappointed, stating that it was too over-the-top and cheesy. I disagreed, because if you look at the first three, they were also very over-the-top and extremely cheesy. Considering their roots in comics and serials, one should only expect them to be.

However, the Tarzan Mutt scene was a little too much, I think. I was even able to forgive the lead-lined fridge!

Another commonly-heard complaint was the alien-fueled-storyline. All I have to say on that is that, well, it's supposed to be cheesy, and the holy-artifact storylines have kind of been played out, so what do you expect? An homage to B-movies of the 50's.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri May 23, 2008 1:31 pm

i giggled through the entire Tarzan scene, that was my second favorite part of the entire movie.

Really there is nothing in this movie that is more ridiculous than Temple of Doom, it is equally impossible. I think, culturally, Raiders and Last Crusade get a bit of a break for being about sacred Judeo-Christian artifacts, so they are taken as a little more serious and/or legitimate.

But there is such a massive difference in a Leigh Brackett pulp serial (the screenwriter on Raiders (and Empire strikes back)) and a David Koepp take on it. In fact I would lay almost all the inadequecies of the film at the feet of the screenwriter on this one.

And I still want to see it again, but I also want to see Son of Rambow and Surfwise. :)

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun May 25, 2008 9:19 pm

I thought it was alot of fun - the way an Indiana Jones movie should be. The action scenes were great, the snake thing was funny, the cheesiness was the way it should be for a movie like that.

I rolled my eyes a bit at the nuclear blast and the survival of not just one but three waterfalls.
The only real complaint I have is the "Ooga Booga" Natives. They got complaints about them in Raiders, and they didn't have them in Last Crusade. It's just offensive that they dealt with a group of people the same way they dealt with ants.

But, that being said, I liked it so much. It was the most fun I've had at a movie in awhile.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Mon May 26, 2008 4:37 pm

I loved it. It was exactly what it needed to be. I'm with ya locke, the tarzan moment was great. The only issues I had with the movie are all the cute fury creatures. I got flashbacks to the Star Wars trilogy redux.

Salaam

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon May 26, 2008 6:50 pm

correction, Leigh Brackett wrote Empire strikes Back, Lawrence Kasden wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark. Kasden was also brought in to write the first scene between Indy and Marion in Crystal Skull (btw, why is it "kingdom of the"? does George Lucas really really love the Harry Potter title scheme?)

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Tue May 27, 2008 4:37 am

I saw it on Monday and thought it was really good, in the sense that any Indiana Jones movie was really good.

It was overloaded with impossible action scenes; but that is Indiana Jones movies, in a nut-shell. :)

I always do find it interesting that all these artifacts that have been standing for thousands of years, always end up destroyed after Indy finds them. I means what kind of archaeologist is he. :)

Another thing I really loved is how they tired in all the past movies. I don't think they ever made reference to past movies before; but I could be wrong.
Not
Even
Remotely
Dorky

Professor Frink
-The Simpsions

Return to “Milagre Town Square”