The Baby Name Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

What should Steph name her new baby?

Ansley
4%
Kinley
4%
Arianna
35%
Elora
9%
Kaylie or Kaylin
35%
Amya
9%
Aislynn
4%

Total votes: 23

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

The Baby Name Thread

Postby steph » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:29 am

Brian and I are working on baby names, although we never decide for sure on a name before the baby is actually born. We don't want to get monogrammed and embroidered gifts with that name and then change our mind.

What we're looking for in a name is something unique, but not weird. The spelling needs to look like it sounds and the name needs to sound like it looks. We don't like weird spellings that just confuse kids and teachers.

Even though we're not set on a first name, we do know the middle name will be Rae, the name of Ma'amaw (my grandmother from the south) who passed away when I was in elementary school.

Feel free to suggest other names as well, but know that they might be rejected. My boys want to name her "Suuuuuuusan" (from Monsters vs. Aliens) or Princess Leia. We vetoed both of them. :)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:41 am

Aven Lee
Allie Luyah

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:39 am

Before I vote, a couple of questions:
Is Ansley pronounced like Ann-zlee? What about Elora, is it Ee-lora or Eh-lora? And lastly Amya, does the Am rhyme with ram or aim? Sorry if my phonetics are spelled weird!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:56 am

Kaylie!!!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:11 am

I like Arianna and Kaylie, they are both really pretty. Arianna or Adrianna were both on my list for Guinevere's name (but Paul didn't like them).

I've never seen Ansley spelled that way, I've usually seen it spelled Ainsley instead.

Also, since I happen to be privy to your last name, I think the best name for you is Dottie. :P
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:28 am

Before I vote, a couple of questions:
Is Ansley pronounced like Ann-zlee? What about Elora, is it Ee-lora or Eh-lora? And lastly Amya, does the Am rhyme with ram or aim? Sorry if my phonetics are spelled weird!
You are correct on Ansley. Jan, I picked that spelling of Ansley because Brian didn't want it with the i. It's too often mispronounced because the i makes it seem as if it should have a long a instead of a short a.

For Elora, it would be Eh-lora, as is the baby in Willow.

Amya would be pronounce Uh-my-uh.

Jan, I veto Dottie!

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:43 am

I like Arianna and Kaylie/Kaylin the most.

Arianna has three built-in nicknames: 'Ari', 'Awn-ah' or 'Anna', and my least favorite 'Ann'. Take that as you will, but all three are decent shorter versions.

Kaylie is good, but I'm not very fond of "Kay" as a nickname for shortening of the name.

Elora is a good third choice. The others are uncommon enough to have the "Did I say that right?" question on the pronunciation (Aiyslin, Amya), or just sound strange for a girl (Amya, Kinley, Ansley).

Also, did you only get through the first half of the baby names book? None of your options go above K. ;)

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:58 am

I went with Kaylie/Kaylin because I really like Kaylie! I knew someone with the name Arianna and people mispronounced her name all the time, and I have no clue why.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:40 pm

Also, did you only get through the first half of the baby names book? None of your options go above K. ;)
Ha! I noticed this, too. However, I also can't think of any really good girl names that go above K, except for maybe "Marie."

But yes, what everyone else is saying: Arianna or Kaylie. I voted Arianna, but Kaylie is a great name. I'm not a very big fan of the super-unique names. All of my brother's in-laws have those style names and they drive me crazy. First I have a hard time remembering them, then I find out that I've been spelling them wrong the entire time...
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:49 pm

You are correct on Ansley. Jan, I picked that spelling of Ansley because Brian didn't want it with the i. It's too often mispronounced because the i makes it seem as if it should have a long a instead of a short a.

Amya would be pronounce Uh-my-uh.
But on West Wing there was a character named Ainsley and it WAS pronouned with a long A. Just saying.

I was totally off on how to pronounce Amya. I thought it was Am-ya (the Am rhyming with yam). So, if there are a lot of people like me out there, you could have it mis-pronounced a lot. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:06 pm

I was totally off on how to pronounce Amya. I thought it was Am-ya (the Am rhyming with yam). So, if there are a lot of people like me out there, you could have it mis-pronounced a lot. :)
Ditto.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Even though we're not set on a first name, we do know the middle name will be Rae, the name of Ma'amaw (my grandmother from the south) who passed away when I was in elementary school.
Rae was my middle name... so I'm going to suggest Teresa Rae because well I think its cool and sounds best! :)

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:23 pm

I voted Kaylie, but i must clarify it's only because it sounds like Kaylee :? so i am not sure it should count...

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:26 pm

I voted Kaylie, but i must clarify it's only because it sounds like Kaylee :? so i am not sure it should count...
thats the reason I voted for it

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:25 pm

But on West Wing there was a character named Ainsley and it WAS pronouned with a long A. Just saying.
Even when spelled Ainsley, the correct pronunciation is Ann-zlee. (I've done my research!) It's a Scottish name which means "my own meadow." If you know enough about me (and some of you do), you should be able to see why I'm partial to that name. It's my top choice.

Brian's top choice is Arianna. If we chose that name, her nickname would be Annie.

Around here, Kaylie and Kaylee would be pronounce the same way. Does that make a difference? We're not set on a spelling of that name. I really like the name, I'm just afraid it's too trendy and too "little girl." I'm not sure it works as well for when she grows up. I might like Kinley better because I think it works for girl and woman.

Oh, and good to know about Amya. It's not a top choice for us, anyway.

Wil, we did go through the whole "book," but we both tended to gravitate toward A's and K's. We're not sure why.

eggbalancer
Launchie
Launchie

Postby eggbalancer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:43 pm

(I hope everyone votes before reading all the posts. It will be less biased.)

We technically already decided on two girl names before we even got married: Arianna Rae and Elora Lois. Then we had Tyler (which took some time to decide on) and Brayden (which took some time to decide on). We pretty much knew we'd be having a girl next, so I was glad that we already had decided on our name choices. Then we found out it really was a girl and my cute (silly) wife decided the names were "stale" and she likes going to great lengths before deciding on a name, so she decided to go back to the old drawing board. So here we are.

Anyway, I'm a fan of vowel names for our girl, partly because our boys are consonants, but I'm weird. O and U are pretty much out, and so is I, which leaves A and E, and sometimes Y. I think we're too white to pull off Yasmina.

Thanks for voting. We'll post our decision in about 6 weeks!
"I probably wouldn't pillage someone for just their wallet."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:17 pm

I was likewise confused on Amya but with that said, knowing how it is pronounced, I like that one best. As someone who has a name that, strangely, is constantly being mispronounced/mispelled, I find that the pride over having an awesome, mostly uncommon (though that is changing :() name easily beats the frustration of correcting people.

Not that some of those other names weren't uncommon as well. Anyhow, I would vote against Arianna and Kayleigh just because of how common they are.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:30 pm

It doesn't even take having an uncommon name to have people mispronounce it. I would say over half of people say my name as Nye-omi which drives me NUTS. And probably 75% of people spell it wrong (Niomi, Nyomie, Niome, etc.). I guess the fact that people don't know that it is spelled NAomi, leads to the mispronunciation.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:49 pm

You're a Nay-omi I assume?
I have heard it both ways. I have a childhood friend who was Nye-omi.

Speaking of spelling/pronouncing... I knew Guinevere was an uncommon name, but I had no idea people wouldn't understand it even when we TOLD them how it was pronounced. She gets Genevive.
Also, people don't know why Ginny is a nickname. I hope she doesn't hate us too much when she's older.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:00 pm

With that pronunciation of Amya, that's my choice. Sounds like the Japanese word for rain.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:05 pm

Who the heck doesn't know how to pronounce Guinevere?!
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:21 pm

You're a Nay-omi I assume?
I have heard it both ways. I have a childhood friend who was Nye-omi.
Yes, I'm a Nay-omi and I've never known a Nye-omi but I guess I have them to blame for everyone who says my name wrong. I think my way is the standard/traditional/Hebrew way as shown here.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:30 pm

I knew Guinevere was an uncommon name, but I had no idea people wouldn't understand it even when we TOLD them how it was pronounced. She gets Genevive.
Also, people don't know why Ginny is a nickname. I hope she doesn't hate us too much when she's older.
I actually never even ran across the French form until I was at least in high school. Now if you'd done the WELSH version, I'd get it. But you'd think nearly everyone would recognise Guinevere from the Arthurian legends.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:32 pm

We live in such a geek-bubble.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:24 pm

We live in such a geek-bubble.
Yes, exactly. It's amazing how many people just give you a blank look when you say "Guinevere...like from King Arthur". Seriously! Who doesn't know who King Arthur is?? It's not like it's some obscure legend. There have been lots of movies about it.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:24 pm

That's just it, though. Everyone knows who King Arthur is, but who the hell is this Guinevere chick you speak of?
The enemy's fly is down.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:14 am

"Kaylee, what in the sphincter hell are you playin at? We got the primary buffer panel--"

"Everything's shiny cap'n..."

Any questions? :) I think they're all nice, steph. I voted for Kaylie as well, but Arianna was a close second. Hell, I liked them all. You're giving me ideas!

Salaam

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:01 pm

I'm fond of old fashioned names, my favorite is Angharad, which is in one of my favorite movies, and it sounds a lot pretty than it looks. it's welsh.

I probably will use Ailene, for a daughter, though, my grandma's name.
My other Grandma's name is Beulah, another beautiful name, in my opinion, particularly when you consider what it means, I think Ailene's a better first name, and one that can work today, and Beulah is a good middle name and couldn't really work as a first name today.

And Atticus is probably my favorite boys name, I'm holding out for middle name on that one. :D
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:44 pm

All of the names are really beautiful original names, but I liked Kaylie/ Kaylin best.

Numbering them from favorite to least favorite, I would have to say 1)Kaylin, 2)Elora, 3)Arianna, 4)Kinley, 5)Amya, 5)Aislynn, 6)Ansley.

I'm not to fond of A names, for some reason, but they do make a statement. K names seem more laid bak to me... Plus, I have a K name, so I just like K's. :) For some reason, I just looove Elora. There's just something about it that attracts me to it.

Once again, I love all of them, but Kaylin is my favorite.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:20 pm

Seriously? No one likes my favorite name but me? I'm a little disappointed about that. :(

I'm glad the overall response to our name list is good though. Naming kids is hard, dang it!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:34 pm

I grew up near the Elora Gorge, so all I think of there is geography. Kinley and Ansley aren't my favourites for some reason.

I like all the others, even Aislynn, though Aislynn reminds me of the movie Dragonheart. Seriously, if I ever met your family and you named her Aislynn, I would absolutely be COMPELLED to put on a terrible Sean Connery accent and call her "Daughter of the Celts".
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:06 am

Seriously, if I ever met your family and you named her Aislynn, I would absolutely be COMPELLED to put on a terrible Sean Connery accent and call her "Daughter of the Celts".
That, right there, might convince me to use the name. I'd be highly entertained by that!!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:14 pm

She should be here now, I think...so what do we call her when we welcome her into the world?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:39 pm

I know what the name is, I know what the name is! *dances*

I'll let Steph announce it, but I can say she's healthy and 7lbs, 11oz.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 pm

Yay! Congrats, Steph!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”