The Andromeda Strain

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
mazer
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Rackham

The Andromeda Strain

Postby mazer » Mon May 05, 2008 8:27 am

I was in the movies on saturday when this commercial came onhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHz5ieESnMo the whole time it was on i could not stop thinking of how similar to the descoldra virus

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Mon May 05, 2008 8:38 am

May be a bit of a stretch, and if they are related, descolada is probably based on andromeda strain rather than the other way around. Andromeda Strain is based on a book written in 1969, 17 years before Speaker for the Dead.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon May 05, 2008 11:41 am

Now that's a curious thought: the Descolada shares many similarities to the Andromeda virus. Is it a coincidence, an inspiration, or just a fact that any virus that kills quickly seems very alike? Discuss, two-pages min, double-spaced. Include a paper with your research, formatted in MLA.

Also of note: it's wizzard!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Mon May 05, 2008 3:01 pm

Yes, every so often I come out of lurking long enough to make a post or two, then fade back into limbo.

Having never read the book or seen the movie, I can't really make much comment on the Andromeda virus. However, in the trailer they specifically say that the virus can communicate and mutate itself to adapt to different lifeforms almost intelligently, which to me is enough to suspect some link to the descolada virus.

And screw your MLA format. In 24 hours, I'll never have to write another academic paper again! :D (Assuming I don't get sucked into whirling vortex of pain and agony that is graduate school)

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon May 05, 2008 6:37 pm

Hmm, well I read the book, I believe after reading the Ender series, and I don't remember particularly thinking that the viruses were similar. Maybe I'll read it again soon (I think I have it) and see if my memory is wrong or if they changed the story for the movie.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Return to “Milagre Town Square”