A Question of Semantics

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

A Question of Semantics

Postby Rei » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:00 pm

I noticed something when reading the thread, A Dissertation Story. Apparently it is not acceptable to use the word "homosexual" in a formal paper, and that it would be more appropriate to write "lesbian/gay" or "sexual minority". I'll admit that this bewilders me. Perhaps I'm just sheltered from how people abuse words, but I was certain that "homosexual" was the more acceptable word and less likely to cause issues. Am I crazy for thinking this? And what is the reasoning for "lesbian/gay" being a more acceptable term than "homosexual"?
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:05 am

I'll admit I was just about as bewildered as you. I don't consider myself to be sheltered in the abuse of words (at least around where I am), since on college campuses you hear a lot of it, and I don't see how "gay" would ever be better than "homosexual". But hey, I'm not a linguist.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:38 am

Same here. And, while I'm not a linguist, I am surrounded by gay and bi friends (literally: I was the only friend other than my high school boyfriends in my group of friends who wasn't gay or bi), and I've never heard that.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:40 am

The history of the word homosexual has negative historical connotations (as in, being related in psychology history to something that ought to be cured). Basically, from what I understand from certain faculty members, it's the word straight people use when they aren't comfortable with the words lesbian/gay. I've never heard any of the LGBT folk in my department (and there are a lot of them -- more of my faculty members and cohort mates fall into this category than not) refer to themselves with it. It's not something that's unaccepable, really, but if you look at the professional literature with these issues, you see it being phased out a lot. And, given that I'm in a department where LGBT issues are major issues of study (and social justice efforts) terminology tends to be an issue. So I try to be sensitive to that. It's not that it's a perjorative term, just outdated.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:55 am

Huh. I would never have guessed. "Gay" is such a commonly used insult that I would have expected it to be far more offensive than "homosexual." I suppose, though, that it doesn't have the clinical connotations that "gay" does. Looking at it that way, I can understand it more easily.

Yet the counterpart to "homosexual" seems to be "heterosexual," which is a word that I would have thought to be less value-laden than "straight." We tend to think of straight things as being better than crooked or bent things. While those particular antonyms aren't used to describe gay/lesbian people, we still have them in our heads connected with the word "straight."

And then one runs into the issue of their being more than just lesbian/gay "sexual minorities." That's the term I'd find most useful, I suppose, unless I were talking about a specific group. "Gay/lesbian" excludes bi-, trans-, a-, and anyone else with an a-typical sexual orientation. Listing everyone every time would get exhausting, so when speaking generally "sexual minority" would be useful.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation, Zona. Nice little brain-stretching exercise.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:59 pm

I also thought that terms like "gay" were much more colloquial than "homosexual", and in spite of the explanation, I would personally still use the latter in formal writing unless told otherwise. But that's just me.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:43 pm

Now what I don't understand is the community's adoption of "queer". Queer started off as even more of an insult than "homosexual", as I understand it, and literally means "weird" or "abnormal", yet many LBGT groups are increasingly embracing it as a catch-all.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:17 pm

I suspect that it's the whole "taking away its power by making it our word" mentality. You know, like how certain black people enjoy using the N-word.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:27 am

Now what I don't understand is the community's adoption of "queer". Queer started off as even more of an insult than "homosexual", as I understand it, and literally means "weird" or "abnormal", yet many LBGT groups are increasingly embracing it as a catch-all.
Homer: They're embarrassing America. They turned the Navy into a floating joke. They ruined all our best names like Bruce, and Lance, and Julian. Those were the toughest names we had! Now they're just, uh...
John: Queer?
Homer: Yeah, and that's another thing! I resent you people using that word. That's our word for making fun of you! We need it!! Well I'm taking back our word, and I'm taking back my son!
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:12 am

I rather stick to the more scientifically accurate hetero/homo/bi-sexual. I don't even put trans-sexual into the equation, since it does not describe any kind of sexual behaviour (transexuals will still be hetero/homo/bi according to their preference in their new gender).

Sexual minorities is awfully inaccurate, in my oppinion. It is politically-emotionally loaded. Furthermore, the word "minority" is only useful in a social statistical analysis (i.e. useless).

Return to “Milagre Town Square”