Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Re: Things that I hate

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:35 pm

*hugs* I'm sorry, Steph

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:49 pm

*hugs* Wow. I'm so sorry, Steph. :(
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:46 pm

I'm sorry Steph, that is really jolting.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:22 am

We're flying our Jolly Roger in honor of our lost Crew Mate today.

Here is an article about her. (I can't bring myself to say the actual "D" word.)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:32 am

(((steph))) I'm so sorry.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:52 pm

*tight hugs for Steph*
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:06 pm

Thank you, everyone. The world just seems so different now.

I keep thinking about you guys, too. Several people have posted on her fb wall saying that they've know her for years on a musical theatre forum. I couldn't help but think of the outpouring that would happen on pweb if something happened to someone on here.

For those who didn't see it on fb, here is a video of some of her most memorable theatre moments. I just love listening to her voice!

"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Going on hour 3 of fighting with UPS. They want me to pay to have my package redelivered when I'll actually be here because they decided I can't sign the slip and have it left at my door and it requires a signature to be delivered. This is the first time, in the history of ever, I've asked to speak to a supervisor because I'm pissed off and not because I want to praise an employee.

So f****** angry.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:19 pm

That is incredibly frustrating. Why on earth would they charge to re-deliver? It's not like not being home is that rare of an occurrence. Hope that gets resolved fast and they stop being so ridiculous.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Why on earth would they charge to re-deliver?
Because they would consider it a scheduled delivery and they charge for those.

Hour 3.5 had them asking me if I'd feel comfortable leaving a key to my apartment for the driver so he can leave it inside my apartment. I cried over the stupidity (no, seriously, I just lost it and started crying at the whole thing) and they finally apologized and said they'd reroute it to work without making me pay, despite a few of the earlier CSRs telling me if I wanted it rerouted it would cost me (because that's also a scheduled delivery).

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:00 pm

*big hug for Steph and family*
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:07 am

I hate to admit how I love to watch Downton every week! This could spell doom to my local rep. :roll:

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Joss Whedon. WHY DOES HE MAKE ME FEEL THINGS?????? I know it is all just going to end terribly.

(For the record, I am a bit more than halfway through Buffy season 2--i.e. the terrible "to be continued" at the end of "Surprise." I hate this show).
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:35 am

Julian Fellowes is the British Joss Whedon. Season finale this Sunday. That is all.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:57 am

2 high school kids in Charlotte were.arrested yesterday for passing notes about planning to make their high school "worse than Sandy Hook." While I hate them planning this, what I hate more is that 2 commenters on the story have said Sandy Hook was a hoax. Those people fill me with an incomprehensible rage.
-Kim

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:09 am

Even though I have good days with it, I strongly strongly hate the IL style of storytime, at least as practiced in my library. Let me do it AZ style and both the kids and I will be sooo much happier!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:10 am

Even though I have good days with it, I strongly strongly hate the IL style of storytime, at least as practiced in my library. Let me do it AZ style and both the kids and I will be sooo much happier!
Oooh, what's the difference?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:22 am

They are too locked into the idea that everything has to be tied to a theme, so that if only sub-par material exists for any given theme, if you can't think of something better yourself, you have to go with the sub-par stuff rather than go off-topic with something more interactive or better suited for the age group.

They also insist on the majority of songs being sung live when in AZ, there's a notable difference between what age groups should have more or less short, live songs vs. songs from a CD. For babies, yes, short, live songs are preferable but the older they get, the more acceptable it is to have longer songs that enable them to dance along. As it is, parents/nannies and I are the only people singing and the parents, no matter how much I emphasize their participation, don't really sing along (they're there to talk to each other before and after), making it hard for the kids to feel engaged. Good voice + instruments trumps my mediocre voice without instruments any day for dancing.

There is also only repetition of the welcome song and the closing song, which is good...but repetition is also important in other things throughout the storytime sessions. That is, if I was able to do more CD music, I'd rotate week to week between a few songs so that the kids could really get to know them and have opportunity to dance.

We're also only able to plan for 6 of our 18 sessions; others plan the rest. Taking myself out of the planning process makes me less connected to the storytime since I don't know ahead of time what the session will be like. When I was able to plan all my own, I felt more control and more comfort in what the end result would look like.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:19 pm

Holy snacks storytime sounds like a much more involved affair than I imagined. Is it pretty much vacation bible school at the library? Because that sounds way better. How long do these sessions last?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:49 pm

They are 30-45 minute classes in a 6 week session, followed by a small break before the next 6 week session starts. There's this need to fit in puppets, rhythm sticks, rhyming words, letter of the day, a few stories, action rhymes, fingerplays, songs, flannelboards, etc. for every single session. All of these things are good but they don't always fit naturally and I hate forcing it.

I broke with their style and did a hybrid IL/AZ storytime tonight and it went considerably better than my last attempt for this age group.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:54 pm

That is an intense story time.

Has the library had some angry parents in the past, demanding that their children receive all of those things in every story time? That's the only I can think of why they would be such sticklers. Do they pay for this at all?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:58 pm

Most parents here wouldn't know what our storytime sessions are like; I've mostly met nannies, maybe one or two parents, in the past year. The sessions are free and I don't think anyone has complained. It's just how they teach the planning process at the university here that specializes in MLSs. A former coworker told me it was hard to do well in that class, since she learned elsewhere how to do a storytime and the school wanted very specific things.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:06 am

Ah. The effect of formal education. This makes sense. Keep sneaking in your AZ flair--soon they will realize the error of their ways.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:07 pm

Day number eight of this cold and no signs of improvement. And that is WITH self-medicating with prednisone to prevent a sinus infection. Come ON.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:25 am

My the melodious sounds of my brother booze-vomiting. To be fair, he turns on the fan and he's enjoying the experience even less than I am, I'm sure, but it's still gross.

Typing out Middle English. Dang vowels just all over the dang place. GET YOUR s*** TOGETHER, ENGLISH LANGUAGE.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:06 pm

people who hate enders game

airheaded steriotypical girls

people whose shorts look like underwear
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:17 am

I so hate cabin fever! This is the worst case ever, maybe I was'nt suppose to find a project now but I crave one so bad. Spring has come to lower AK and I hope to be up there soon to mess with the C-119's . I only wish they did'nt use so much fuel I would love to at least fly the one of them around a bit to get my type rating to be somewhat legal . What I need is a project I can restore at home I guess, to keep peace and all.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:23 pm

myself

right now I feel like Petra, why was it me, how was I the one that broke. what is wrong with me. How can I trust myself again?

I shouldn't post this

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:19 pm

Monday was nice sunny and the whole bit and I drug a tractor blade over the driveway and smoothed it out a bit so I suggested to Julie we should get out her new bug to drive to town. She was all up for that and was backing it out of my machine shop ( glad for that ) and to my complete horror like in slow motion watched her drive the nose of the cars spoiler n all into the little gravel 6 in high berm of dirt on the driveways edge. Guess its hard to go from four wheel drive to little car , it's hard to think how easy it is to tear the hell out of the plastic everything is made from now. I just got it out of the body shop for her and Im trying to think up a nice way to remind her of how low to the ground it is. It is strange how the whole underside of the thing is covered with plastic like panels, shure a lot different than my 66 chev pickup! Ya know it's funny I kept my mouth shut when she did it , I do suppose my mouth was wide open but it was me that got yelled at and thats ok to I guess. :wave:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Sorry that happened, buckshot! But glad you were able to keep a sense of humor about it. :)

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:10 am

Thanks Luet , It's a minor thing did'nt cost much but it sucks that there is so little you can fix yourself on newer cars.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:45 am

(moved to PastWatch)
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Despite the fact that the bank assured us -- not once but three separate times -- that my changing jobs would not affect our closing date, our closing date has to be pushed back another 10 days. Why? Because I changed jobs.

Seriously? This is why I asked you THREE FREAKING TIMES. Because if it was going to cause trouble, I would have just worked two jobs until we closed. Which would have only been an extra week. But noooo. You told me it was okay, it wouldn't cause any bumps at all, go ahead. So I formally went down to just one job this week.

So, so, so incredibly upset right now. And I hope to god the sellers don't get pissed and just walk away.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Syphon, there's always this....

http://consumerist.com/2007/05/11/how-t ... rpet-bomb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:29 pm

This is so normal Syphon it always blows me away how many times they "hold everything" to get one more bit of info found or cleared up, it's enough to make you cry or scream. You're gonna be in the new place soon ! :thumbs:

Return to “Milagre Town Square”