Dear You 2.0

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: Dear You 2.0

Postby Luet » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:25 pm

Dear you,

I can't believe it's been ten years. Your life has changed so much; married and a new baby. I would love to ask you just one question, to know how thoroughly you believed his lies: will you leave your daughter alone with him as she grows up?

From the outside, I don't think I have changed that much in the last decade. But my core is unrecognizable. I don't trust people, I am hesitant to help others, I don't enjoy socializing, I no longer believe that anyone will stay forever.

Before your friendship, I wasn't missing what I didn't know to miss. I had never had what I ended up having with you. You were my best friend who I could talk to about ANYthing. Up until the end part, I thought it was a pretty even relationship. We both had ups and downs and helped each other through them. I felt like you knew me better than anyone. I never imagined that it would end.

And then it did. I had just lived through what I thought was the most difficult episode of my life. And you had helped me through it. And then in one afternoon, with a vitriolic rant hurled at me, it was over. You switched sides and left my life forever. And THAT turned out to be the most difficult thing that I had to survive.

I didn't know what I was missing until you showed me what could be. And then you left me with a gaping hole. And I have been too wary to ever try to fill it. Sure, I have "friends" and even a "best friend" but nothing that comes close to the depth of our friendship. I will never let it happen. I couldn't survive another loss.

Every year, around this time, I started to fall into a depression. My subconscious picks up hints of the season - back to school sales, county fairs, subtle changes in weather - without me actually registering that the timing means anything. And then I have to figure out why I'm so sad. Oh yeah, this is when she left me. This is the time of year my world fell apart. All of these subconscious cues are reminding me of the mental place I was in then.

So, that is what has been on my mind for the last week or two and what prompted me to write. I'm okay and I'll survive. But you caused more damage than you may ever fully realize.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:39 pm

*hugs*
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:17 am

Dear You,

I love you so much that I think I sometimes forget how deeply I care about you. It is easy to be caught up in love and forget about the connection. I hope that you always understand that not matter which form our relationship is taking the most important thing to me is our honesty, trust, and compassion. I hope that you never forget that I do not only in love with you, but I also love you as a person and as a friend and as a part of my life. No matter what distance or trials the world may throw at us I hope that we will be able to keep the connection that we have and allow our difficult times to make us stronger and more appreciative of the good times we have together.

Thinking of you :monkey:,
Your Girlfriend
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:30 am

Dear You.

Great ass. Let's sleep. I have work in the morning and it's 2:30.

:D

Meeee, sitting right next to yooooouuuu
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:51 pm

Dear You,

:D

Me

Dear You,

Oh, sweetie. It's going to be okay. You just have to break it down into its component pieces. Just like you were telling me about behavioral activation. And one more thing. Outlines. Outlines are your friend. Outlines are consistently the reason everyone says I am a good writer. You know what my dissertation was? Outline, fill in, polish. Outline, fill in, polish. I am not an organized person, but I AM an organized writer and you will be, too. The MMPI-2 is going to be a great friend of yours. Just one scale at a time. You can do this.

Also, if you DO NOT want to do something I tell you is optional, please tell me. I know you're Mr. Eager-to-Please Student, but I promise you, I won't think badly of you. I'm proud of you for tackling the MMPI-2, I really am, when you're so used to the RF. But it would really be okay if you didn't want to. I wouldn't make a point of saying, "You don't have to do this" if you, y'know, had to do this.

Your Supervisor

P.S. You also don't have to call me "doctor" as I told you before, but since you can't seem to help yourself, I'll let it be. I'm kind of enjoying it, actually.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:26 pm

Dear You,

I'm assuming that was intentional, given the other thing? Either way, I noticed. And I'm okay with it. Kind of hoping it would go there, ya know? You're both everything and nothing I thought you were, and that is hard to come to terms with.

Me

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:10 pm

It's been a long time since I've written a cryptic, anonymous letter. Let's see if I've still got it in me!

Dear You,

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! WHY? WHY DID I DO ANY OF THAT? I didn't expect anyone even remotely like you to actually exist. I was not prepared for how I would respond to having my mind so thoroughly blown. I'm so, so sorry for how I behaved. I've apologized to you directly, but I don't know that it will ever feel like enough. I tried to literally run away from you, and I still continued to be a garbage person from afar. You're amazing. I'm sorry.

Really, really sorry,
:bash:

Dear Poopmoji,

I want to give you a hug for, like, a week straight. Life has been s***** to you recently, and I'm sorry for (indirectly, unintentionally) playing a part in a piece of that s***. I'm also sorry for being too stubborn a realist to give you the validation you were seeking in regards to your job. Will the bullshit be worth it in the long run? Maybe. Probably not. Putting up with it will certainly not guarantee smooth sailing down the road, but I have full confidence you'll figure something out. You're a better person than you credit yourself.

Still hoping you'll reconsider which couch you sit on,
Chris

Dear You,

Get your s*** together. You have perfectly reasonable, achievable goals. Why are you so afraid to start working on them? What has you so paralyzed? Is it that you had some foolish idea in your head that you'd have life figured out by the time you turned 30 because that's how old your parents were when you were born? Can we jump to the end of 30 so you can go back to accepting that it's okay that the only meaning this life has is the meaning you give it, and that it's really perfectly good that you still haven't started and may never start a family of your own? Just go back to bettering yourself. This stagnation sucks. The backpedaling is super frustrating. You can do this. I've seen you do it. Where did your willpower go? Where did it come from in the first place?

Anxious af,
You

Dear phpbb,

Why don't you support emoji? Boo.

Bah,
I'm done
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:16 pm

Dear You,

While we never did date, I feel like it was a close call and something the both of us did a really good job of subconsciously f****** up. Probably for the best, given I just heard a song from roughly that time in my life and it reminded me of you/us. It's about abuse.

Me

Dear You,

Did you ever properly apologize? Maybe, but the details are fuzzy and I still feel like you damaged me more than I realized. I think you have always known but didn't/don't want to admit it? Anywho. An apology wouldn't be amiss.

Me

Dear You,

You are my One Day. You were then, you [...], you [...]. The thing of it is, that's not meant romantically or in a positive way. You were this thing I wanted to happen and probably only for me but I think there was something. For you, likely just concern. But if it had, it would have been an epic disaster. The book got it wrong, I think. They always were awful for each other. It would have been miserable.

Me

Dear You,

I was banking on the unknown and unknowable. I was taking a risk, possibly for the wrong reasons but they felt right and sure and true. I had no reason to trust in those feelings, except for knowing, on some level, you were there and listening and being decent for who knows what reason.

But I did trust those feelings, against all reason, and goddamn, look at us now. I love your face. So, so much.

Me

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:40 pm

Dear All of You,

I know we're a small, quiet bunch now but you always have a piece of my heart. Always. 14, almost 15, years of companionship - and you gave me the love of my life - makes you rather unforgettable.

Wishing everyone a very happy new year, filled with more joy than 2017 was able to deliver.

:love:

Me

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:11 pm

:stamp: :love:
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:42 pm

Dear Ed...You,

Congrats on your team beating the awful Patriots!!

Your old pal

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:00 pm

Dear You,

I can't really be upset since I'm not surprised. That's just what I've always been to you.

Me

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:33 pm

Dear You,

Pretty sure I saw something that is no longer here. *hugs* I'm sorry. It all sounds pretty awful and definitely unfair.

:grouphug:

-Bean
Launchie
Launchie

Postby -Bean » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Dear You,
The same you that has always been.
I saw you were on messenger the other day. I almost said something. It's been 12 years since we even spoke, and somehow I still miss you. I know you never saw my replies, my letters to you here, because the last time you logged in was right after everything fell apart. I keep hoping that maybe you'll see these, maybe you'll respond, and we can at least be friends again. Hoping that you won't ever see them cause I wouldn't know what to do if you did.
I finally realized why I ran, why I got so scared and angry, so hurt and felt so betrayed. Put a word to what happened all those years ago. It's an ugly word, but it fits.

You raped me.

It didn't start off as such, but in the end I said stop and you didn't. I said get off and you locked down. I no longer consented and you didn't accept or respect that.
It took me 10 years of introspection and a counselor to whom I told our story, for me to get to that word.
It's why I couldn't talk to you for so many years. It's why I'm still afraid to do so.
I loved you so much it hurt.
I wanted to spend the rest of my life with you.
And one moment, an instant really, ruined all of that. And ruined me too. I have been emotionally stunted ever since, I don't FEEL in the same way that I used to, and every road of thought I travel to figure out why leads me back to that moment.

This is not an accusation.

I don't want you to feel sorry, or bad, or ashamed.

I don't hate you.
I still love you.
I still miss you.
And I forgave you years ago.

But if I want to heal, ever, I need to acknowledge it.
And maybe, someday, you'll read this.
Maybe someday I can have my friend back. It won't be the same, can't be, but life rarely is that fair.

-Bean
The most important thing to know is that you don't know anything.
-Bean

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:48 am

Oh Bean, *hugs*. I'm so sorry.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:32 pm

Dear You,

That was truly the most perfect response and I can't tell you how much joy it has given me. I saw it and my heart felt like it got bigger (figuratively, no known medical issues here).

Thank you for being part of our story; we've always included you in it. Thank you for allowing me a glimpse into what could have been, if this moment were taking place a decade ago. I'm holding onto that response with everything that is in me. I really hope to see you, in particular, next year.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:15 pm

Dear you,

Thanks for bringing us all back, this seems the appropriate response

:love: :stoned: :love: :stoned: :love:

:stamp:

:dance: :frolic: :dance: :frolic: :dance:

:party:

:limeaid: for all

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:14 am

Dear You,

Whenever I get particularly stressed (which seems like it happens often in this pandemic), I dream that zero is doing to me what you did to me and I wake up feeling hurt all over again. Thankfully, he wouldn't do it and has never shown any signs of being toxic the way that you did from the start but it still hurts in that moment between feeling real and realizing it's not.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:58 pm

Dear (All of) You,

I'm thinking of you this week / month / year.

:love:
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:30 pm

Dear Yous who celebrate,

Merry Christmas. I hope it's a bright spot in an otherwise s*** year.

Love,
Me

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:15 pm

Dear you:

Calling us back here was definitely an overall bright spot to this year.

Love,
Boss
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:16 am

Dear You,

I'm not going to do what you did to me, because I've tried to learn from my mistakes and grow over the past decade. I've not always gotten it right but I'm trying.

You seem content to hang onto hard feelings and s*** on my happiness in the pettiest of ways. That's fine. As I said, I won't be doing the same back.

Hope all is well with you. Take care and be well.

Me

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:23 pm

Dear you,

I'm so thankful that we were able to form a friendship over the last 15 years. Without the trauma I suffered from your siblings, I don't know if that would have happened. So, something wonderful came out of it. I meant it when I told you that you are one of the best people I know with the kindest heart. You have fought this cancer so hard for three years. I'm so glad to have known you and to be there with you through the end. I hope you find all the peace you deserve.

Love,
Nom

Kendareru
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 0- 0-2003

Postby Kendareru » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:43 am

Dear you,
I wish I could remember you. There are so many lost in my memory. I know you're there, hidden in some wrinkle of my grey matter, but I just can find you. And that saddens me. I'm sorry.

Me
The Cat in the Fedora
Writer/Artist/Lazy Feline
"In the beginning, Mohammad begot ADAM... and thus the road to New Eden was paved amongst the stars." ~Project ADAM, a Science Fiction Religious Satire

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:48 am

Dear (specific) Yous,

I'm not trying to suggest I react perfectly to the truth; you know I have a temper. You've seen it in all its glory. So I can understand why you would be hesitant.

But when the emotions subside, I'd at least feel respected. Isn't that worth anything to you?

I'm not an expert but the excuse you gave, which really is a valid reason in most circumstances, became an excuse when you shared all the ways in which you are selectively using that reason.

You could have just said you didn't want to, that I overestimated my worth/value to you, etc.

But to show, over and over again, the ways you're willing to be less safe? You're telling me the truth through round about means and it hurts, and I have no reason, currently, to want to invite you back into my life in any meaningful way. You make me want to reciprocate.

I'll do my best to be quiet about it from here on. I should tell you directly but I'd like to shield myself now. I don't think you understand the magnitude of the hurt.

Me

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:11 pm

Dear You,

It's a sad day when friends don't talk to each other and assume ill-intent.
What looks uncomfortably regressive to one audience may in fact be progressive activism targeted at making another audience uncomfortable for entirely the opposite reasons.
Misunderstandings happen, but friendship is supposed to build trust to help bridge the gap until we can understand why someone did what they did.
Maybe they're even trying to share lessons you taught them in a way that others in their orbit can begin to grasp.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:55 pm

Dear You,

So, uh, that was a thing then.

If I didn't know better...

- Me

Return to “Milagre Town Square”