Dear You 2.0

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Re: Dear You 2.0

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Dear You,

*unselfconscious high-five!*

-- Proud
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:24 am

Dear coworker,

You're a racist prick and a f****** moron! No, "they were studying mooslum" does NOT magically explain how they knew how to make a bomb or why they did what they did.
The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed May 15, 2013 9:26 am

Dear You,

I'M the Mommy. Me. Not you. You are a beautiful, wonderful auntie. I am grateful to you. I love you. And I know it's just your way, so I ignore the little remarks about him being hungry or too cold or wanting his food warned or whatever, because I know you're not TRYING to imply I'm being negligent, even if that's how it sometimes feels.

But. When you undermine me with your ACTIONS, that is different. I heard him crying. I planned to give him five minutes to go down because I knew good and well he needed a nap. And, yes, I do believe you are lying when you say you looked for me. In fact, I'm quite certain of it.

Just FYI, giving him little sweets on the side, giving him things to play with we don't like, getting him up without checking -fine now. Just fine. But all of this is making me far less likely to trust you with him when he is older and we're teaching him adults don't have secrets with children.

Annoyed Niece
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed May 15, 2013 4:35 pm

:(
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:42 am

Dear Pweb Dads,
Happy Father's Day! Thanks for being awesome!

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Dear You,

Talking to you and hearing about the work you take on really inspires me. I've been growing a bit lax, but hearing your struggle was the competitive kick I need to put more effort in my own. I aspire to emulate your work ethic and ambition. I aspire to put more effort than you and struggle more than you. I aspire to be better than you and I couldn't without you. Thanks.

CezeN
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Rootersfriend
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 05 May 2013

Postby Rootersfriend » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:01 pm

Dear You,

Despite all the crap that went on, despite the strange way it started, you and I had something amazing, that I probably won't ever find again, that most people dream of. I know I was the one that ended things, and while I stand by what I did, and I know it was right and for the best, those 3 years were the best of my life, I will always love you, I will always think you were/are the one, I will always wish there was a way it could have happened, I will always wish I could have done something different to not leave us both hurting every single day, others have come and gone, and more will come I'm sure, but you'll always be the standard, you set the bar high, and while I know I'll love again, I know I'll find someone amazing, I doubt that bar will ever be fully reached. Always thinking about you rockstar, do your thing.

Me
::Live as a villain, die as a hero::

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:14 am

Dear You,

Let's start by noting that I'm not really mad at your grandson. Kids that age are impulsive, and for all I know he's younger than he looks or has some behavioral problems or whatever. He seems like a neat kid overall. And I'm not even mad that you gave him the stick. He and Atty had been being so nice to each other, and he obviously was enjoying Atty's wholehearted admiration of his big-kid playground prowess. "He's watching me! He likes me!" So who would've foreseen him immediately throwing the stick, hard, at point blank range at Atty's forehead? No one. Probably not even the kid himself. Like I said, kids that age are impulsive and it wasn't your fault.

Here's where I get cheesed off. So, your grandson throws a stick at my kid's face, and you immediately step in to examine Atty, effectively blocking me, grab your grandson and make him say sorry -- the saying sorry I'm okay with -- and then have him give Atty a hug. Here's the thing, Grandma. Atty is a baby. He doesn't understand sorry. He damn sure doesn't understand why this kid who just hit him in the face with a stick now has his arms around him. And his poor little face, with his lip out and frowning and looking so tense and confused and anxious, and I'm sorry, WHY WAS YOUR GRANDSON HUGGING HIM AND NOT ME? And so, of course, when I get my wits together and hug him he starts bawling. Of course he does, I probably would, too.

Secondly, no consequences for your grandson besides saying sorry and hugging Atty? Um, really? You know, hugging Atticus is not a punishment. He's adorable. We could charge people for the privilege. And no time out, no "we're going home," not even taking him to a different place on the playground in low-key fashion so Atty can have some time to calm down and regroup?

Thirdly, Atticus doesn't understand the meaning of "I'm sorry," but I do. Because, seriously, NOT SAYING WORD ONE TO ME THIS WHOLE TIME? Even though I now have a crying kid who was perfectly happy a couple of minutes ago and we're having to leave the playground because seeing your kid keeps upsetting him (and, admittedly, he was tired). How freaking rude is that? Just, you know, a quick acknowledgment. Nothing fancy. "Sorry, I don't know what got into him!" would've been fine.

ARGH.

Pissed Off Playground Mommy
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:46 pm

Dear You:

Public Service Announcement.

THREE DETAILS FOR GETTING ALONG IN FIRST-WORLD CIVILIZATION:

1. If you use the last sheet of toilet paper, replace the roll.

2. If you do your laundry in a public facility, always clean your own lint trap.

3. If you use your office's Keurig machine and you use the reusable filter instead of a disposable pod, wash it out yourself. There's nothing more annoying than going for a quick cup of coffee and finding yourself cleaning up someone else's coffee grounds, and those things are really difficult and irritating to get clean.

Cordially,

Me
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Dear You,

I'm so sorry. I know you're expecting a baby and it would be helpful, but Bill Gates is not going to send you $5000 for sharing his picture. I know. I know that looks like a picture of him holding a paper saying he will, but he won't. It's a lie. Some mean person faked that picture to get your hopes up, because they figure you'll figure, "Well, you never know, might as well try!" but the thing is, you do know. I know. And your trying is cluttering up my Facebook feed and causing me outsized anger.

Also, for future reference, 1 like does not equal 1 respect or 1 prayer. And you can love God and also choose to keep scrolling.

Your Cousin-in-Law
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:01 pm

Dear You,

I'm so sorry. I know you're expecting a baby and it would be helpful, but Bill Gates is not going to send you $5000 for sharing his picture. I know. I know that looks like a picture of him holding a paper saying he will, but he won't. It's a lie. Some mean person faked that picture to get your hopes up, because they figure you'll figure, "Well, you never know, might as well try!" but the thing is, you do know. I know. And your trying is cluttering up my Facebook feed and causing me outsized anger.

Also, for future reference, 1 like does not equal 1 respect or 1 prayer. And you can love God and also choose to keep scrolling.

Your Cousin-in-Law
:stamp:
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Rootersfriend
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 05 May 2013

Postby Rootersfriend » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:18 am

...Wait 1 Like DOESN'T equal 1 prayer? ...and He's not going to send me $5000? But...but...dangit. :P
::Live as a villain, die as a hero::

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:01 pm

Dear You,

You really do have the biggest heart of anyone I know.

Love,
Me
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:41 pm

Dear you,

If that was for me, thank you. :oops:

If it wasn't for me, sorry for the misinterpretation. It just came right after I texted you.

Either way, I love you and miss you. It's been 3 years!!!!!!

love,
me
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:35 am

Dear You,
Three years is entirely too long. I wish I could fix that.

(Also, you're welcome.)

Love,
Me

Dear You,
No, I don't have children, work two part time jobs or even one full time job and I'm not getting my Masters. I'm still allowed to get tired. The difference between the hours I work and the hours our FT people work is 8 hrs/week. Less than 2 hrs/day. I quite often work multiple nights so they don't have to. I switch weekends so they can go on extended vacations. I stay late, unpaid, to help ease the burden of us being shorthanded. I spend an hour and 20 minutes a day commuting to a job 9 miles down the road because I don't have a car. I read in almost every spare minute I have for a twice a year work project that takes all year to prepare for. I also make time for my boyfriend and for me and I clean and cook and play and try to sleep but don't always get to do a whole lot of that.

In other words, I don't have to be a student, mother, or FT/2 PT employee to be tired. To hell with that.

Me

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Dear You,

Something that I thought might interest you. Demanding nothing less than perfection from the people you interact with while not adhering to those same standards because they couldn't possibly apply to you, you're special -- it's the hallmark of a narcissist. Just FYI. No special reason.

Me
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Dear You,
I feel lucky to be able to say you have been my best friend for 5.5 years and my partner in crime for the past two. You have held my hand, literally and figuratively, through some of the hardest times I've ever experienced and you've helped create some of the most magical times I've ever had. You support me but also call me on my bullshit. You know me, better than most anyone, and yet you still love me...maybe because you know me. And I know you and you are the most special person I have ever met. I want to wake up every morning to your parakeet hair and sleepy smile, and go to bed every night with you complaining about my poking you in the tummy keeping you awake, even though you wake me up every night so I can fall asleep with you.

I love you dearly,
Help

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:37 pm

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:55 pm

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:stamp:
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 am

Dear You Two,

I just realized, after digging through my freezer on the lookout for peas, that neither of you signed my Ender's Game book (hiding out in my freezer to try to stop/slow down mold from water damage last summer) when you were here and it's especially laughable that Josh hasn't since I've hung out with him 3 times now.

Kind of annoyed with myself on that front.

Alea

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:43 am

booooo! How did we see ice cream in there but not your book?

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:58 am

Dear you,

Yes! I know that! If you had read my email you would know that I knew that! Please give me the teeensiest bit of credit!

Anyhow, it's been a long time since we've corresponded. Thank you for your time, assistance, and confirming that you are just as irritating as I remembered. If you're ever in the area, feel free to decline to look me up.

Old Graduate Schoolmate
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:20 am

booooo! How did we see ice cream in there but not your book?
The ice cream was sort of front and center and the book was pushed up against the back. Priorities almost always put ice cream first. :mrgreen:

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:56 am

What's really bad is you even mentioned having multiple copies of the book when we were discussing/looking up diferences between the book and film and we still forgot all about it.

Also, I don't think you had your signed book yet or at least didn't have it with you in 2009 so that time doesn't count.
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:37 pm

What's really bad is you even mentioned having multiple copies of the book when we were discussing/looking up diferences between the book and film and we still forgot all about it.
Yeah...for me at least, it really is true when I say "Out of sight, out of mind." It's kind of pathetic how true for me that is, really.
Also, I don't think you had your signed book yet or at least didn't have it with you in 2009 so that time doesn't count.
I didn't get it until 2010 so yes, that doesn't count. I feel slightly better. The good news is, we're relatively close so I'm sure I'll see you again.

-------------------------------------------

Dear You,

Speaking of "Out of sight, out of mind," hi! Not to say you've ever been entirely out of mind, mostly I just remember that I let the letter-writing-ball drop and I feel like a jerk for not being able to get myself to pick it up again and the shame keeps me away. :)

But with that said, I miss you! Which might seem weird given we've only ever had online, really, and it's not like I don't have access to you or ways to give you a poke. But with neither of us being all that active here anymore, it's a different sort of thing altogether. If anything, I should try to be more active in the hopes you'll be more active and then I can miss you less.

Works in my head, anyway.

Missingly, (<---not a word but I'm using it anyway)
Me

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:24 pm

Dear All of Yous,
Please don't let P-Web go dark! This is the first time in about a week I visited to a proper list of new posts! It made me super happy, so keep it up.
That's all,
Love me!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:59 pm

Maybe Pweb's just hibernating for the winter.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:04 am

Dear You,

GAH. Oh my freaking Lord, I knew that you were letting your kids play with my dry erase board and markers, and I knew that you'd told me how hard kids are on said markers in your experience. But I had NO IDEA. You realize that this is because of you, right? I mean, seriously. I've let PLENTY of kids use dry-erase stuff and it's never been that bad. They are being rough on the materials because you are LETTING THEM BE. The caps were not all the way on two of said markers, which I had to throw away. They are NOT THAT OLD. Yes, I've borrowed your stuff, because I haven't had an office or money for my own stuff, but never anything that could be used up and I always made a point to leave it in the same shape I found it, if not better. GRRRRR. So glad this is the big office move weekend. So annoyed. :lecture:

Officemate who just tried to write a to-do list on the dry-erase board.

P.S. I'm taking my Anxiety and Phobia Workbook that you took and hid without my permission with a bunch of little tabbies in it back. Just FYI. Again. I wouldn't care if you borrowed my books if you just would leave them where you found them!
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:40 am

Memo

Re: Pronunciation

Dear Colleagues,

It has recently come to my awareness that, somewhat suddenly, it seems you have all taken to pronouncing my name Kyer-sten. While I recognize that this may be the pronunciation you associate most closely with a name spelled like mine, the correct pronunciation is "Curse-ten." As in, the curse of an unusual name. I realize this is somewhat awkward as I have now known you for approximately half a year and I appreciate the opportunity to clarify this. If you could attend to this matter somewhat swiftly, I would be most grateful.

Sincerely

Kirsten (Curse-ten)

~~~~

Dear Colleagues,

I doubt I'm actually going to correct any of you and am becoming resigned to my new name.

Sigh,

Kirsten (Kyersten)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:53 pm

Curse-ten,

Sorry, but when you wrote, "P.S. I'm taking my Anxiety and Phobia Workbook that you took and hid without my permission" I immediately thought:

P.S. I'm taking back my Paranoia Workbook that I KNOW you took and hid, somewhere, without my permission....
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:44 am

I doubt I'm actually going to correct any of you and am becoming resigned to my new name.
You're "Jerry" Gergich!
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:31 pm

:D <-- for Boothby and Syphon

Dear Refrigerators of the World,

You know, I liked to think we were friends. Seriously. I admit, I hadn't given our relationship a whole lot of thought since I became too big to climb up and sit on top of you, to view the world perched from above and freak out my parents. Since then, I recognize, our relationship has been more businesslike and professional. I put things in you I want stored at cold temperatures, you hold them for me, I remove them when I want. I thought you liked our relationship that way. I certainly did.

So why have you begun this campaign of violence against me?

For thirty-three years of my life, you never hurt me. I never had any reason to suspect you WOULD hurt me. Then, over the past six months, things have changed. I have now sustained three injuries at your doors. Indeed, the first one actually drew blood and left a small scar right where my glasses fit on my nose. Then another minor injury. And then, today, as I was straightening up from putting carrots in a crisper drawer, again. There is now going to be a significant bruise at about my hairline, and that thwack on the head hurt for a couple of hours. Once is an incident, twice is a coincidence, three times is a pattern.

Is it not personal? Are you rising up against all humanity, trusting that we'll all be too ashamed of our klutziness to put together your plot?

Or is it personal? Something I've done? I promise that I'm not so closed to communication that violence is your only option. I can attend better, I can change.

(Was it the sun-dried tomato pesto? I like it, but I can see where you might be offended. No, wait. This started before then. Still, maybe that didn't help?)

Whatever it is, I await your communication. I desire to return to our previous, businesslike, nonviolent relationship. However, I'm open to doing things differently. Monthly offerings of open baking soda boxes? Is that what you want? More fruit? More pizza? Better leftovers? We can negotiate here. Again, violence is never the only answer.

I await your reply,

Refrigerator Door Face
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:44 pm

I thought I warned you NOT to buy Skynet™ brand refrigerators?!?
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:40 pm

Oooh. That could explain a lot.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

-Bean
Launchie
Launchie

Postby -Bean » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:27 am

Dear You,
How do I stop loving you?
The day the things happened between us that did, something inside of me was broken, I have never, and I don't think I ever will, loved anyone the way I loved you... Years ago you made a decision that broke my trust, and I fled you. I was afraid, afraid that the one person who had never lied to me, whom I had never lied to, who was my best friend, my confidant, my lover, my everything, my soul... couldn't respect the one thing I had asked, the one thing I wanted to wait for... And so I fled, into the arms of another woman. A woman who became my wife, bore me a child, built a life around me. I love her, but I can't forget my feelings for you. I know it hurt you, you hated me for a while after, and probably rightfully so. We never talked about it, or things may have gone so very differently. But even now, seven years later, I have but to close my eyes and I can see you, every little detail. Every curve, every line, every freckel and scar and mark. And when I think of you it hurts so much.
I don't let myself talk to you, not because I don't want to, because I don't know what I would say. I don't know what I would do if you said you still loved me, even a little.
Do you remember the first time I tried to kiss you? I do. We were wrestling in your room, as usual, and I let you pin me, as usual. You were so close. The world stopped around us, the air charged, the only sounds our breathing and heartbeats. You leaned in just the tiniest fraction of an inch and I kissed you, just a quick peck, and it broke the moment. You pulled back and slapped me. I was so confused I just sat there dumbfounded until you said "Not like this. When it happens I don't want it to happen like this." It was the first time you ever said aloud anything about your feelings for me, though I'd told you a thousand times I love you.
And the first time we made love... You were house sitting for a neighbor. Taking care of her dogs. I went with you one day. We horsed around a little in the living room, you tickled me to the ground and got up to feed the dogs. I stayed where I was, happy just to be near you. You walked into the kitchen and came back a minute later, breasts laid bare, and again, the universe stopped in it's tracks. I remember everything, the way you smelled, feminine and slightly sweaty, a hint of the dogs you'd been playing with, faint oil from your truck, and the slight tang of lead. I remember the way the light silhouetted you as you walked back into the room, and paused in the doorway. The way your hair fell slightly across your face as you reached to brush it away. I remember feeling whole. I remember it all.
You wouldn't talk to me for days afterward. I got angry with you for it, and we went back to the way things were, but made love frequently after.
I remember the year at Christmas I told you I loved you before hanging up, "I love you too" you said. I almost dropped the phone. It was the first time you'd said it. That's the only thing I remember about that Christmas.
I remember when you finally made the decision I'd been waiting years for you to make, that you wanted to make it official. That you wanted finally to be with me, and only me.
When you came to visit me that year, I remember lying next to you as you fell asleep. Gently brushing your hair behind your ear and kissing your eyelid. I thought that if I could keep just that one moment, just a fraction of the oneness I felt with you, that I would have everything I ever dreamed and so much more.
I've loved you for over a decade. I will love you until the day I die.
I love you so much it hurts, but I can never tell you.
I wish I knew, but how do you stop feeling a love like that?
I wish I knew
-Bean
Last edited by -Bean on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The most important thing to know is that you don't know anything.
-Bean

Return to “Milagre Town Square”