Today I'm Thankful That...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:57 am

I'm thankfull for everything ! Especially getting to have my whole big family home for Xmas !

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:25 pm

I'm thankful I finally get to go out of the house. I haven't been out since Sunday! And I'm thankful the internet and tv is working again.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:08 pm

Today I'm thankful for my new computer. Having to dig some stuff off the old one again makes me appreciate it more.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:22 pm

I'm thankful for widescreen TVs, pizza, chips, cookies, and Bowl games with family and friends. At least TCU won... Go Frogs!
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:28 pm

Page 3? Not kosher.

Today I am thankful for my mom. I mean, I almost always am (unless I'm being a s***) but she is the only person I know who is consistently/continuously interested in my "art" projects. I will never make money off this stuff; in fact, it's a money-vacuum. I will never be a grand master anything. But it makes me happy and I'm thankful she'd want to encourage me by asking and remembering and listening.
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:01 pm

Today I am thankful for having this weekend go exactly the way it has so far. Work has gotten so bad over the past few months, home isn't that great all the time, so it's been a blessing and a half to have had a mostly solitary and silent weekend. Very little TV blaring through the house, finished a book, lots of think time and a place to ramble about truly stupid stuff that somehow manages to mean a lot to me despite that, stayed in bed until late, Chargers won. Yesterday and today have been pretty good to me. I almost feel back to 100%.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Re: Today I'm Thankful That...

Postby Claire » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:00 am

Today, Sorcerer's Stone was playing on HBO here, and I realized how thankful I am for Harry Potter. It sounds so silly/nerdy, but I feel so lucky that I was at exactly the right age when the series started (10 or 11 when I read the first book.) Picking up one of the books or popping in one of the movies can instantly put me in a better mood. It's so nice to have that!

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:46 pm

Today im thankful that... all my kids that hunt and son in laws filled their deer tags! Tomorrow I may not be so tickled when I face getting it all butchered up. :) Oh yah! I get to to the in laws for Thanksgiving, I best bring along a sandwich.

Dobie
Soldier
Soldier
Title: A real one has a link

Postby Dobie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:38 pm

Do deer tags need to be filled before you can go hunting?

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:01 pm

Do deer tags need to be filled before you can go hunting?
A tag if filled when you kill whatever animal the tag of for, one animal per tag. So in this case they had tags for deer. and they were all filled when they shot enough deer to fill the tags.
Today im thankful that... all my kids that hunt and son in laws filled their deer tags! Tomorrow I may not be so tickled when I face getting it all butchered up. :) Oh yah!
Sounds like you had an awesome hunt! :stoned:

Dobie
Soldier
Soldier
Title: A real one has a link

Postby Dobie » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:12 pm

Oh deer!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:35 am

First and foremost, I'm thankful that they got the various scans back and that Ryan's cancer has NOT spread anywhere else.

For the baby in my belly that keeps growing and was kicking SO HARD last night.

For a husband who can make me laugh and who I love. I hate that things are so hard for us right now, but there's no one I would rather be going through hard times with.

For a supportive and loving family, both family of origin and in-laws.

For my two crazy cats.

For friends who love me and who I love.

For the awesome stuffing I am about to try my hand at preparing for the first time. (Thinking positive. We'll see if it's actually awesome.)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:22 pm

I'm thankfull for everyone and everything and hope for a bit more peace and sanity in this world.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:07 am

Today I'm thankful that I had a quiet day at work and then got another 5 or so hours of complete silence at home. It's golden, I swear it is.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:45 am

Today I'm thankful that I had a quiet day at work and then got another 5 or so hours of complete silence at home. It's golden, I swear it is.
:stamp:
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:03 am

I'm so thankful that my family loves to travel as much as I do. We are going to Borneo for the holidays/my brother's school break!

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:44 pm

I am thankful that Thanksgiving break has somewhat rejuvenated me for the insanity that will be the last couple weeks of school and finals.

I am also thankful that, after this, I only have two more semesters of classes here. Woo!
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:58 am

I'm thankful we got enough break in the rain yesterday to go to the falls anyway.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:01 am

Ditto.
The enemy's fly is down.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue May 08, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm thankful for my incredibly sweet husband. He surprised me with a program he wrote to help me learn bird calls. I got a CD to learn but had been complaining that I needed a way to quiz myself. So, he made a quiz program!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue May 08, 2012 9:06 pm

awww, he really is a sweetheart; I'm glad you have each other. :)

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri May 11, 2012 4:56 pm

I'm thankful that I have friends who, when I say that I "just don't think I feel like being around people" this weekend, are okay with that.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm thankful all the damn time that, as a patron, I am part of such a spectacular library system. Maybe I'm just a gigantic nerd but being able to make To-Read lists and then, as my reading pile dwindles, move those to holds with the click of a button, then watch their status change to either in transit and then available or straight to available is pretty much my definition of happiness.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:58 pm

That's pretty awesome. My library system has neither to-read lists or hold status updates.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:12 pm

Mine does have both of those, although you can't move it from "to read" into "requested" with one click. But I still do love my library system but especially the main library that I choose to visit, even though it's not the closest.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:31 am

I am thankful for people who appreciate and accept that some mornings you would rather listen to music than talk to people. A guy living in my complex here ran into me on the walk to work, noticed we were both listening to music, exchanged the simple pleasantries, and nicely allowed the music listening to continue without speaking the rest of the walk. Antisocial maybe, but much better than being roped into a conversation when I'd rather be jamming to some tunes.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:53 am

I think I'm getting old because I find it weird when people are walking around stores with headphones on. Yup, I'm old.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:00 am

I walk around everywhere with headphones on; I pause the music when I interact with cashiers/CSRs or whomever but I don't take them out...which is something that would bother me, given I can't be sure the people who wear them with me are listening. Hmm. I should remove the buds, too. Noted.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Well, I don't even own an mp3 player or headphones...so, I'm the weird one, I know.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm thankful all the damn time that, as a patron, I am part of such a spectacular library system. Maybe I'm just a gigantic nerd but being able to make To-Read lists and then, as my reading pile dwindles, move those to holds with the click of a button, then watch their status change to either in transit and then available or straight to available is pretty much my definition of happiness.
My library system is great, has a wonderful selection and a great hold system. They do, however, lack a "to read" list, which I hate. They only have a system you can build a temporary reading list and e-mail it to yourself with. I'm so bad about forgetting stuff I want to read that I end up putting it all on hold at once then having to return half of it before I've even started it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Look at this sexy beast:

If I'm browsing the catalog, see something I'll want to read but can't commit to with a hold quite yet, add it to the wish list and then click on request when I'm ready to move it to holds.

Also, I'm thankful today that I get tomorrow off. I need some rest.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:34 pm

Nice. I'll have to send an e-mail to someone telling them we should have it. :D

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:40 pm

You know what, I just found out that the list thing that will e-mail a list to you also does that. It says that they don't guarantee it, and I'm assuming that if you use it and aren't logged in, and delete the cookie associated with it, then you will lose it. I mistook their warning to mean that it won't save the list from session to session. It even has the "request" button like yours! I had wondered why our library, as technically advanced as it is, wouldn't have such a thing. Glad I realized that before I sent an e-mail requesting a feature they have.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:19 pm

Today I'm thankful for Meebo Chat. The service I used for AIM.
It's being assimilated and destroyed by Google in a couple hours, which prompted me to go back and talk to an old internet acquaintance and download my old chat logs, these past two days. After not using it for almost a year. And using it sparringly since like 2 years ago.

Surprisingly, I'm slightly melancholy about the whole thing. I had several people from my old, prime forum - the one I basically grew up on through highschool - on it(though I've also grown up on this one). None of them except two still came on. It was fun catching up with one of them, a connection to my old self.

I can't deny I have extreme nostalgia for that old forum(Pendragon). The cool, annoying, intellectual, and interesting people I met. How I changed and developed my writing style to a degree. The long rivalries, comradarie, ect. Except for the three friends, two of which I still currently talk to now and again, one of which I've met and hung out with twice in real life, we've all gone our separate ways. We had a great time before a hacker forced the author to close down the forum. Seriously, this forum had ridiculous drama.

Thank you Meebo Chat for connecting me with the memories of my old self, only a couple years ago(lol not that old). And reminding me of Pen. Of Geesee Chat. Faded. Mini. Shoj. Shard. Xemnas. Livid. Ela. Mike. Jahead. Embry. Nam. Ami. Talkback. Humbry. Lordian. Adrian. Ramirez. Hocha. And Mango. Pretty sure I hated one fourth of these people. But meh. I still remember how awesome it was to analyze the book, post quotes, and come up with theories or refutations for theories concerning everything. No, Uncle Press is not Bobby. Saint Dane is not Bobby. Damn, that was a great book series. And now, nostalgia done. We've all gone our separate ways, but life goes on.

-Speaker For the Dead
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Today I am thankful for Pweb.

After posting in the Things I Hate thread, I sat down on the couch to have a good cry. Then the mailman showed up and handed me a package. From you guys.

I am so touched by your generosity, and that you've kept me in your thoughts and hearts for all these years. I'm still crying, but now it's happy tears.

David and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

I love you guys.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant