Podcasts During This 2020 Pandemic

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Podcasts During This 2020 Pandemic

Postby CezeN » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:04 pm

There was an old Podcast thread that didn't get much traction. I figured I would just create a new one and give it jazzy title, so maybe more lurkers come out. [wiggles fingers dramatically]

Podcasts are my go-to for getting through a workday without falling asleep in a puddle of drool. I was wondering if there are any other - Podcast Polymaths - on here and which ones do you all listen to?

In my boredom-dodging efforts, I try to listen to Podcasts about... really anything. Anything I don't know about is somewhat interesting enough for me to perk up to out of curiosity. Especially if the hosts make an effort to be funny or exciting with the information they're sharing. My list so far includes:

1) This Podcast Will Kill You: which talks about all the different diseases, ailments, and pathogens. How they work biologically and where they pop up throughout history.

2) Second Date Update (By brooke and jubal): Basically a radio show segment where, on behalf of a listener who is struggling to get a response from someone they went on a first date with, they call the person up and get their side of the story to figure out where the date went wrong and if they (the radio show) could pay for a second date.

3) Writing Excuses: A group of at least four successful fiction (scifi/fantasy/etc.) writers spend 15-20 minutes discussing different things they've learned about specific topics in regards to writing, publishing, marketing, etc. The author of the Stormlight Archives, Brandon Sanderson, is one of the main hosts. They usually have at least one guest author/publisher/etc. that joins or cycles in with each new episode.

4) Call Her Daddy: Uhhhh, basically female "locker room talk" podcast about sex and dating. Hosts are extremely funny. Second funniest podcast in my roster.

5) Jenkins and Jones: Basically black nerds who hold a podcast to discuss current events, pop culture, and weird stuff from a uniquely and culturally black perspective. Funniest podcast in my roster.

6) Various Cracked podcasts from the humor website Cracked.com. Generally really funny and really informative.

7) Bingemode: Review different works of fiction, both shows and books, in an analytical, yet hilarious, manner akin to an AP English/College English Lit Literary Analysis class.

8 ) The Portal: Not really sure how to describe it, but the host Eric Weinstein is considered part of the "intellectual dark web". Podcasts varies from interviewing presidential candidates about politics, to interviewing war veterans about war, to interviewing physicists about the search for a theory that unifies everything/propaganda of physicist community in promoting String Theory.

9) Casterquest

10 ) Hey Riddle Riddle (before they stopped tackling different riddles every episode and started mostly doing improv comedy sets)
----------

Next one I'm going to try is a science fiction podcast called Dotting the I in Spaceship.

I am open to any suggestions :)
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Re: Podcasts During This 2020 Pandemic

Postby thoughtreader » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:20 pm

TPWKY (your #1) is my absolute favorite

I'll add Ologies with Alie Ward, she talks to a different "ologist" every episode

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:51 am

TPWKY (your #1) is my absolute favorite

I'll add Ologies with Alie Ward, she talks to a different "ologist" every episode
Ooooooh, that sounds interesting. Thanks; I'll give it a try this coming week and report back.

I also need to find myself a good Psychology podcast, specifically. I know NPR has one, but I've never been a fan of NPR podcasts. Too formal, not enough humor--at least, in the few I've listened to. I need my podcast not to sound like the history channel.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:01 am

I’ve enjoyed TPWKY, and I heartily second Ologies. Very informative and engaging.

My podcast listening has come to screeching halt with quarantine. It used to get me through my commute. But now I have no commute until at least June 16. Though we are (hopefully) moving next month, so I may listen while packing.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun May 03, 2020 9:39 am

I’ve enjoyed TPWKY, and I heartily second Ologies. Very informative and engaging.

My podcast listening has come to screeching halt with quarantine. It used to get me through my commute. But now I have no commute until at least June 16. Though we are (hopefully) moving next month, so I may listen while packing.
That's probably true for a lot of people. I wonder if there are more people not listening to podcasts because of the lack of commute or more people listening/getting into podcasts out of boredom of being locked in at home, comparatively. They could also be something you walk to if you go for daily health walks... if your area is safe enough and do it at a well lit enough time of day that you don't have to worry too much from not being able to hear your surroundings (I live in the suburbs..and am male so, you know, male privilege in a way). For me, Podcasts are what get me through the workday lol

----------

Now, I listened to Ologies that both you and Thoughtreader recommended. Its great! So many random, unexpected Ologies. I listened to the one with the guy who studies kissing and the woman who studies the biological basis for time. Both were interesting. I liked the guests to different degrees, but the host stayed consistently entertaining. And I love the little pauses in the episode where she'll briefly step out of the conversation to provide info about something she researched outside of the podcast that the guest and her didn't know enough to talk about at the time. Like, she stops time and edits in these brief knowledge dumps at appropriate moments, seamlessly.

On the other hand, I tried the Science Fiction podcast "Dotting the I in Spaceship" this week, as well. The author's voice (and accent) was, quite frankly, annoying to my ears. Spent most of the first half of the podcast episode I listened to seemingly not talking about the topic. Would Not Recommend/10

Return to “Milagre Town Square”