The Smells in My Kitchen

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Re: The Smells in My Kitchen

Postby buckshot » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Nearly your same recipe was my favorite meal when I was at school. I can still see my roomie Russ hovering over that ugly old hotplate, it wouldn't be the same either without stale crunchy bread and made "and consumed with" copious amounts of Heidelberg beer in those little 11 oz keg shaped botttles. Thanks for the memories Elfman! I almost forgot , we used to save up old cheese rinds in the back of the fridge and let them cook down and float around in the pot(to supposedly flavor the soup). Later

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:24 am

Somehow I instinctively knew you'd be the first to comment on this =)
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:10 pm

I love coming home to Julie's home cooking! How is it she can make something like meatloaf gravy and smashed garlic taters so damn fine! Course I would come home even if she burned everything but thank God she don't. This house smells so so good right now :wave:

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:03 pm

It's on my bucket list to taste some of Julie's home cooking!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:02 am

I'd be happy if ya came up this way someday anytime

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:04 am

Our place smells like the delicious attempts to make Chai concentrate. At least if it tastes terrible, it still smells divine.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:36 pm

I found the proper use for elk tenderloin, I let it freeze and slice it thin and slap it on the griddle with some already browned onions n peppers. The best tasting cheesesteak ever! I never told em it wasn't beef.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:01 pm

Tonight was cheesy corn dip with taco hips. Yum.

But I'm so dang proud of myself, I finally mastered chapattis! In terms of breadlike objects, they're pretty basic (flour, water, optional salt, rolling pin, fry pan), but getting the thickness and moisture just right, and the fry pan just the right hot, was a challenge that took several tries.

Still no love on the pizza dough, though.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:30 pm

I brought in a load of field rocks and have been looking at plans for a stone and clay outdoor pizza oven and a rock fireplace near our patio. I just love smokey toasted pizza and am excited but know most of it will have to wait for spring.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:17 am

I've found the opposite to my pizza dough problem - Japanese curry roux. Mastered perfectly in one half-assed try. BAM!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:34 am

I have recently been remiss in my posting of delicious things to this thread.

Random stuff
Making bubble-tea at home:
Untitled by elfprince13, on Flickr

Delicious tortilla-pizza:

Failed attempt to fry some weird Japanese oreos:

Homemade pesto, with lots of garlic, and walnuts substituted for pine-nuts (which definitely improves it, plus makes it a lot a less expensive!)

Making delicious Soup:
Start by chopping up lots of onions of garlic, add a teensy about of chicken broth, and lots of butter, and let it simmer in the bottom of the pot for a while. Then add the rest of your broth (about a quart total), and a pound of chopped-up chicken breast.

Once it's boiling again, add veggies (carrots, celery), and spices (sage, thyme, bayleaf, and black pepper).

Finally chop up a potato, and add it, along with a can of black beans:

I like to keep the bean-juice in for extra flavor and extra liquid in the broth, but if you're particularly sensitive to the digestive effects of black beans, you may want to opt for a different way of adding more flavoring + padding the liquid content.

Making Rice/Raisin Wine
Yeast food! A pound each of white and brown sugar.
Rice/Raisin Wine, Take 3 by elfprince13, on Flickr

A pound of rice, ground in the blender. Plus two cinnamon sticks:

Blend up a lot of raisins, along with some lime-zest (and a cup or two of water to keep things flowing):

Juice the lime and add it to the rice powder:

Boil the raisin-puree, and the sugar, along with 3 more quarts of water:

Mix it all up. Make sure your brewing container will be able to release gas (we use a loose-fitting cap, but you can use fancier set-ups too):

Let it cool for a while! Keep checking with a thermometer, until it reaches yeast-friendly temperatures. Then add a few teaspoons of active dry yeast (or fancier yeast, if you have it). Wait a while (up to an hour, but probably less) and make sure the yeast is happy and burping out gas. If something goes wrong, refrigerate the mixture and go buy new yeast / add more from a source that you know is happy and healthy.
Fizzy by elfprince13, on Flickr

Let it sit for a few weeks, swirling once or twice a day to keep it all mixed up. Then filter, bottle, and enjoy.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:25 pm

I love the smells of sunday breakfast in the house. Lately most all the kids n grandkids n their others show up and Julie has been putting out some killer eats! Jakes girlfriend (the one I like so good, the huntress) made dried cherry scones, I'm nibbiling on one now. I used to hate big crowds and I'm shure thats not changed but I have grown to like having family around more. I'm so damn stuffed I got all the wrinkles out of my overalls! Im hopin ya all enjoy the game today :thumbs:

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:14 pm

Food and Family is the BEST! Glad you're enjoying it, buckshot!

My house smelled like bread on Valentine's Day, because nothing says L O V E like a giant bread bowl!

"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:55 am

Morel mushrooms are out bigtime here and I have been totally pigging out on them! They are so so damn good on a steak!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:14 am

I made some chili/cocoa bread:

It's a proper yeast bread, and savory, not sweet. Delicious for toast, sandwiches, or just eating plain with a glass of milk.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:49 am

That bread looks like iit would be great Elfman,I love it all dark n crusty. It looks kinda "pasture style" ha ha

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:34 pm

It reminds me of Hobbits or the Princess Bride...or really anything where you might eat over a fire in a forest.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue May 26, 2015 8:59 pm

Yesterday I got home from up north tired sore n hungry and I could smell something good a quarter mile before I pulled up to the house. My girl Sarah " who just happens to graduate with her teaching degree in a couple weeks or so" made me and just me, a big pot of her own sausage meatball spinach n tortelini soup! About the best soup in the world, and yes she made the cheese tortelinies herself. Ok i'm shure I killed on the spelling on that. The stuff is so so so yummy!

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue May 26, 2015 9:03 pm

PS. from before, I should warn Sarah that when she picks baby spinach out of the garden for her soup she should rinsed a bit more, I got a earwig in my bowl. A wonderfully cooked earwig though! I didn't tell her of course

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:36 pm

I've made efforts to go full vegetarian as of January 1st this year (I had mostly been before, only eating meat when eating out) and have been pretty successful. Accidentally ate marshmallow fluff, which has gelatin, but I think that's it.

Trying to find vegetarian equivalents of things has been pretty easy, too, thankfully (thanks, internet!). One of them was jalapeno beef (seitan as the substitute) and oh my word, it is fantastic. Spicy, just a hint of sweet, big chunks of "meat" and slices of jalapeno.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:39 am

Oh darling! We were designed to eat copious amounts of farm raised meats! Come out here and let me feed you for a couple weeks (or more) I'll get you straightened out! vegetarianism! good grief!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:21 am

No, thank you. I'm happy with my choice to eat as I please.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:20 pm

I've been vegetarian for 13 years now, happy to share food blogs/cookbooks if you're interested!

I've been trying to go vegan, or at least minimize my animal product intake lately. It has not been quite as successful as I would have hoped :oops:

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:33 am

Im just kidding around here ya know! As long as your happy, and I do know how healthy it is to go vegan.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:48 pm

buckshot, buckshot, buckshot. I can give up meat but dairy? I'll leave that to others, like Claire if she can make it work. I need real cheese and ice cream in my life. :mrgreen:

Thanks, Claire. If you have any favorite recipes, those could be fun. For now, I'm just finding ways to convert my favorites.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:27 pm

Soon, there will hopefully be the smell of homemade cinnamon rolls baking. It's been a stressful 11 months, guys.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 pm

We just put a big dent in a pan full of moose lasagna! I miss cooking ,I should do more of it but i tend to eat way too much. We used home grown n canned tomaters our own onions, garlic,parsley and even oregano. We even get our cheese from a local jersey dairy , their son and girl make their own string moserella ( but it has some other name I can't remember now) and ricotta. Oh yes and some dried morells from last spring and chanterells I got lucky to find this last fall. If only Julie was into baking me a fresh hot baguett. You bet i'm bragging! its that good, I snuck in a piece of really tasty but too dry italian sausage my best bud Tommy sent home. Its amazing how good venison is in slow cooked meals like this or even a quick pot of spaget or chilli, even Julie agree's. Been way too long since I posted anything like this! Love you guys! I gotta go unbutton my carharts!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”