Bong Hits 4 Jesus?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Who should win the lawsuit:

Student
10%
School Board
No votes
Bong Hits
50%
Jesus
40%

Total votes: 10

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Bong Hits 4 Jesus?

Postby AnthonyByakko » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:20 am

Bong Hits 4 Jesus?

In Juneau, Alaska, a student at a high school function (off school grounds) unfurled a huge banner reading "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" - he refused to remove it, was suspended, and has subsequently sued the school board.

In a move that, if he had any talent, would make Ken Starr look like Jordan playing baseball, the former Clinton prosecutor has taken the case on the side of the school board.

So: was the student's speech, off campus, protected, or did the school board maintain the right to censor such speech on the grounds that it was a (potential) disruption?

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:23 am

If the school board thought that was actually some sort of disruption, they were probably smoking something.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:27 am

If the school board thought that was actually some sort of disruption, they were probably smoking something.
ZING.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:27 am

*bows*
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:11 am

This is the sort of thing that would have driven me crazy as a high school student. But the fact is, speech doesn't seem to be protected where education is concerned.

I don't know. He refused to take it down. It probably was a disruption. It seems like the school board was probably over zealous in their warding against disruptions, but I'm not sure they overstepped their bounds. I guess we'll see what a judge thinks.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:28 am

When I was in elementary school, "It's a free country!" meant "I can stand beside this tree if I want to, so there!" And not much more than that.

Aside from that, I basically agree with Ollie, until I hear more.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Re: Bong Hits 4 Jesus?

Postby eriador » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:55 am

So: was the student's speech, off campus, protected, or did the school board maintain the right to censor such speech on the grounds that it was a (potential) disruption?
My emphasis.

If he was at a school function, the location doesn't matter. If he hadn't been at a school function, the school board would have had no jurisdiction (unless he was at school).

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:35 pm

I agree with eriador. If it's any gathering organized & funded by the school then attendees should follow regular school guidelines. So if you can't hang a banner that says Jesus in school then you can't hang one at a school function.

Edit: Does anyone else keep reading this title as Bong Hits 4 Jebus?

Return to “Milagre Town Square”