What's up for getaways this summer ?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

What's up for getaways this summer ?

Postby buckshot » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:41 pm

It's been so quiet round here! Lets hear about a few fun vacations, the heat is on and the water wings are ready to go!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Re: What's up for getaways this summer ?

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:44 am

Just had a fun week in Maine with family. Going to Chicago this weekend visiting the girl for our 5 year anniversary, and also for hanging out with Alea + Zero =)
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:07 am

I aim to get to Maine someday, would love to see some of the famous hunting lodges and pig out on fresh lobsters.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:11 pm

I'm going to Amherst, MA this weekend but it's for a religious convention so I won't be getting any R&R. But still a nice change of pace. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:37 pm

I'm not going anywhere! We are however trying to get out moor and explore our side of the state. Probably Port Angeles in the next couple of weekends or so. The next big trip is set for December (California).
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:44 pm

zero and I went to Vegas for 5 days about two weeks ago for a library conference. We stayed with Wil (who got married 3 days after we left, the butthead...but who is having an actual ceremony later in the year that I can go to), I got to hang out with my mom who traveled to Vegas from AZ to go to the conference, had some super fantastic ramen, and tried their ferris wheel, The High Roller. I probably had about as much fun as a person like me could have in a city like that. (Didn't help, though, that I paid for the flight and conference before I changed jobs and thus didn't realize I would be losing money on taking the trip twice over since I don't have vacation time at the new job.)

elf is stopping by tomorrow, which isn't really me traveling but is still fun and awesome. We'll probably drag him and the girl to get pizza since there are two places by us we've been meaning to try.

That's about it here. Otherwise, just staying put (how I mostly like it) and doing homework, which consumes my entire life, it seems.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:14 am

Heading to Barbados with my parents and brother in just over a week. We're doing the tourist thing for the first time ever, staying in a hotel instead of with family.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:47 pm

We went camping for 4 days and it was glorious. No people, no cell signal. Just us and nature.

Besides that, we've been staying really busy in the 100 mile radius: hiking, baseball games, zoo, mini golf, giant slides, butterfly release at a famous hotel, concert and movie in parks, hot air balloon festival, drive-in movie, renaissance festival, Film on the Rocks (famous amphitheater, Red Rocks), and we're only halfway through summer break. We still have fishing, catching crawdads, more camping, swimming at pools and beaches, Dinosaur Trail, food truck rallies, s'mores party and much more to get through on our bucket list before the summer is over.

(It's no wonder I'm exhausted all the time!)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Wow Steph you really get it done! I wish we still had drive in movies here, they were a blast

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:16 pm

Back from Chicago! Had all sorts of food-centric adventures with Alea + Zero and the girl (pizza, giant skillet cookies with ice cream, pancakes), plus got rained on a ton, visited the zoo and aquarium, had some nice dates, and unexpectedly ran into a childhood friend from New England who happend to be visiting the same weekend.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:16 am

giant skillet cookies with ice cream
Pizzookie!

Also, it was great seeing you again. I like how certain Pwebbers have become multiple meets for me, making me consider them more meat-space friends than online friends.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:53 am

giant skillet cookies with ice cream
Pizzookie!

Also, it was great seeing you again. I like how certain Pwebbers have become multiple meets for me, making me consider them more meat-space friends than online friends.
Relatedly: I just got back from a wedding of two of my college friends. It was great to see everyone, but also a bit odd, because Courtney and I managed to set up one of my online-friends-turned-meat-space friends on a date with one of the bridesmaids earlier this year and now they're dating. The boundaries between internet and meat-space are getting increasingly fuzzy.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:45 pm

Im afraid to ask but "meat space" ?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:52 pm

Im afraid to ask but "meat space" ?
"meat space" = "real life", because saying "real life friend" implies that online friends are less real. :)

I wise lady once told me so.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks Neo

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:01 pm

So much...

I was on tour again! Vienna, Saulsburg, and Praugue :) After which I went to Paris, London, Wales, and Amsterdam. To many stories to tell them all here, check out my pastwatch thread and as soon as I get time I'll post them. For those whovians I WAS IN THE TARDIS! Also, visited Bad Wolf Bay, and the Rift.
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:34 pm

Awesome!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:11 pm

Yesterday we went to Fountains Abbey. It was kind of incredibly spectacular. The ruins are extensive and there was even a first floor room that you could go up into, which is something I've never heard of elsewhere. Afterwards, we walked along a path that took us by several follies overlooking Studley Royal, which was pretty neat. I was slightly dismayed that Anne Bolyn's Seat and the Surprise View did not involve a rude cartoon, though.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Did ya check out the old feed mill on the grounds?

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:28 pm

Sadly we did not have time to look at it. We were restricted by the bus times (one bus in and one bus out, Sundays and Bank Holidays only during the peak season). I would love to go back and see that and the Medieval deer park, as well as seeing the abbey again.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:18 am

We went to Myrtle Beach for a weekend. We had so much fun with Lizzy in the water!

Well be going to Texas for a week in August.
-Kim

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:28 am

The wife n I secretly sneeked up into the hills to pick huckleberrys for a couple days and stayed at the ranch. I like simple times together, even more than really going somewhere. Everyone shure gets wound up when we do dissapear for a while, we have bunch of "drama queens n kings" in our circle that have to know everything all the time.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:05 pm

There really is a lot to be said for just a quiet get away, as opposed to a big vacation. I'm a huge fan of getting home feeling a bit rested, as opposed to needing a vacation to recover from my vacation!
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:47 pm

I have a stash of secret quiet places we sneak off to, when we got done kickin round the woods last week we went over to this tiny old tavern that makes the best sandwiches ever. It's just across the idaho border in the middle of nowhere built into a hilside and the creek runs under half of it you can fish out of the window. I pulled my boots and lay down in it when we were done. Evaporative cooling was great on the way back with the top off the Willys jeep.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:35 am

Pizzookie!
Pizookie® is a registered trademark of BJ’s Restaurants, Inc. Based on their map, there are no BJ's restaurants in Illinois, rendering the consumption of a Pizookie® at a Chicago restaurant impossible.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:51 am

Psh, it's like Kleenex, Band-aid, and Q-tip; it may be technically incorrect but the world is better for calling it one name everyone understands.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:01 am

I have a stash of secret quiet places we sneak off to, when we got done kickin round the woods last week we went over to this tiny old tavern that makes the best sandwiches ever. It's just across the idaho border in the middle of nowhere built into a hilside and the creek runs under half of it you can fish out of the window. I pulled my boots and lay down in it when we were done. Evaporative cooling was great on the way back with the top off the Willys jeep.
Sounds like heaven.

We're hoping to do a family trip to Wales this autumn. No sight-seeing, no tourist-ing. Just hanging around with our friends and their cats, playing in the garden, tea, going for walks, reading, more tea (panad!), possibly going to a pub, and if we're feeling energetic, going for walks in the countryside and maybe seeing some of my friend's archaeology sites.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:47 pm

Archaeology sites! Cool nothing like digging up the dead on vacation.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:10 am

That would be cool, but he does medieval parks and gardens, so it'll be more on the lines of "look at this ditch, this is a significant ditch". LOL
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:35 pm

If we want human remains, there's decent odds of literally tripping over them in any one of our local church yards, really. One of our friends was on a class trip to a church yard, without a license to dig, and someone accidentally tripped over a tibia and unearthed it. I think the general refrain was "Put it back! We don't have a license!"
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

davidto
Launchie
Launchie

Postby davidto » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:05 am

I'm not going anywhere! We are however trying to get out moor and explore our side of the state. Probably Port Angeles in the next couple of weekends or so.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:20 pm

:pirate: Another Washingtonian? I just got back from Alaska, it is always nice to with my own eyes that my old girls survived the winter well.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:09 pm

The girl and I are taking a cruise around the Baltic, post-wedding, so that's exciting :)

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:30 pm

Going abroad for the first time ever this summer. Going to be studying comparative legal topics(comparing the American system and UK systems) at Oxford.

First time buying my own plane ticket... and spending more than 1500 dollars on one. Seriously, I lost a bit of my soul when I saw the price. A bit of my soul is in that plane ticket and I guess that means I will live forever until its destroyed.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:22 pm

I'm going to Vidcon this summer as my (very late) birthday party! It should be awesome :)
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Return to “Milagre Town Square”