Things I Don't Understand

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Things I Don't Understand

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:33 pm

I don't understand what the difference is between:

snow
snow showers
thundersnow
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Snow is equivalent to rain.
Snow showers is equivalent to light rain showers.
Thundersnow is very rare (I've only seen it once) and is equivalent to a thunderstorm.
And then there is a snow squall, which is like a very brief but heavy rainfall.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:42 pm

I've only been in thundersnow once, but it was a slightly surreal experience. All the noise of the thunder being slightly muffled by the blizzard, but still clearly thunder.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:59 pm

Steve Guttenberg as a leading man in a romantic comedy.

It was so weird, especially since I know him best for Police Academy and getting angry with a paparazzo and yelling at him.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:42 pm

He was fairly creepy in the second season of Veronica Mars too.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:24 am

Airplane boarding procedures.

I have a seat in the 6th row, which is like the second row after the first class area, and I'm going to be in the 5th boarding group...

This would actually make a lot of sense if I had any faith in their methods and knew they were just boarding from the back to the front to be more efficient but I know that's not the case at all.

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:24 pm

sister

what is MLP?

How politics can turn something as logical as time into a total illogical mess of timezones and clock changes
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:33 am

I don't understand the hatred for sun in bedrooms. To be clear, if someone is working a third shift schedule where day is night for them, then completely blocking out the sun while they're trying to sleep makes perfect sense to me. But for the morning, when the sun starts to come up and you're still asleep? How is this a bothersome thing? It's the sun...isn't it ideal to wake up to it? Does it wake people up to have light gradually come into the room? I'm not sure I've ever been woken up by the sun.

I guess I'm coming from a place where waking up to the dark meant it was winter and it made it seem way earlier than it actually was, so it was hard to convince my brain it wasn't still time to be sleeping.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:05 am

When the sun rises at 5am and I want to sleep til 9am, yes, the sun does wake me up earlier than I want. I use blackout curtains. :)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:35 am

Which direction does your bedroom window face?

I've always had a south facing window, enough to let in light but never overwhelming enough for me to be woken up by it. Maybe I'm just weird and need/enjoy sun more than most.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:08 pm

I had to go get a compass because I had no idea which direction my windows faced. I have two windows in my bedroom, southeast and northeast facing. Though, the morning light bothered me in every house/apt I've been in. My mom LOVES sunlight and has installed sunlights in lots of her rooms. I'm just not that much of a sunlight person.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:35 pm

Have ya ever had a day go so soooo bad ! Holy shaat! :bash:

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:42 pm

sister

what is MLP?

How politics can turn something as logical as time into a total illogical mess of timezones and clock changes
*just watched Doctor who and decided to replace that last statement with simply:

Time.

Also, if the image of the Angel becomes an angel how is everyone on Tumblr not dead yet?
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:24 am

I've hade a trying day, I should have seen it coming when I ran out of hot water in the shower but I tuffed it out and since I was heading for the feed mill for a meeting put on clean overalls and dried n brushed out my hair instead of the normal pulling a hat over it. So I'm sitting in my office conversing with our bean counter and this fly is dive bombing my head and landing on this strange feeling PATCH OF BARE SKIN ON MY DAMN HEAD! I have grown or ungrown a mother loving bald spot and it's driving me nuts! I can't keep my hands off it and Julie is giving me no sympathy at all and rubbing it in every chance she gets. Apparently everyone I know n care about already know this and have been wondering how I'm getting along with it, guess I'm too busy to keep up or just in kind of denial I don't know of. What a downer! :grumble:

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:41 am

Don't feel too bad buckshot, sounds like you've hung in there pretty long! I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest male on my dad's side of the family who isn't experiencing serious hair loss in one form or another (and my 3-years younger brother already has a spot going himself).
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:45 am

Awwww! *rubs buckshot's bald spot* :P

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 pm

Thank God most folk can't see the top of my head! Now I have to wear a hat for the rest of my life. :bash:

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:17 am

Thank God most folk can't see the top of my head! Now I have to wear a hat for the rest of my life. :bash:
I'm too short to avoid people seeing the top of my head - and fortunately, I've "always" been a fan of hats, so it's nothing new for me.

It's a little sad that our society places so much value on being young and beautiful and doesn't seem to be able to transition from that stage of life where we are "good specimens for reproduction" to the stage where we are valued for our acquired wisdom. We'd like to try to stick to our hairy-headed, muscle-bound selves well past its prime. Yes, I too would love to embrace my chrome dome - but somehow it just seems like hair is where it's at and I cannot face it :/

At least you seem to have made it longer than I did before it abandoned you... Some of us are even unluckier.
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:55 am

If it's that important to you that people not see that you have a bald spot, have you thought about losing all of it? Going the ol' "bald cap" routine? It works out pretty well.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:53 am

Thanks Mich, I thought about it but I don't want to go for that Mr Clean look, don't want to stick out more than I already do! Julie says there are too many scars for that.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:55 am

You don't want to scare the grandchildren....
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:58 am

You know it! I get called Herman way too much in October already anyhow. :)

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:58 pm

I don't understand what letting agents find so hard about not illegally entering our home without notice or knocking.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:33 am

A sound thrashing should cure them if not a gun to the head should straighten them right out.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Note to self: Never rent or loan anything to Buckshot. Ever.
The enemy's fly is down.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Sorry but not, your home is sacred! It's where you n yours is safe and secure, It's not right for some two bit peckerwood to be traipsing through your home. Time to knock the dust off of em. I would'nt walk into a rental house intending to fix something without a set arangement and an invitation for nothing , it's just not done.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Rei, perhaps I missed something earlier, but I'm not sure where your statement is coming from...
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:01 pm

You didn't miss anything. On Thursday our letting agent decided to let himself into our house without knocking to do an inspection. Our previous letting agents did this repeatedly and it's why we left them. Our current letting agent KNEW this and knew that we were extremely sensitive to our privacy because of that, and yet decided that if we had an appointment set for 10.30am, he could totally just let himself in at 3pm. Because apparently tenant rights aren't important. We have sent him an e-mail explaining that we are displeased about this and why, and he has replied blaming us for his actions. So we have e-mailed him again spelling it out in extremely clear terms so that even the very stupid should be able to understand, up to and including quoting the key piece of the relevant law with which he should be familiar. We have no issues with inspections. We have every issue with blatantly disregarding our right to quiet enjoyment of the property and then blaming us for his disregard.

The whole thing makes me extremely angry and more than a little paranoid, with a solid dash of feeling unsafe and insecure in my home. All because one person seems to have difficulty grasping the most basic aspects of social decency.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:24 pm

If he broke the law, are you ready to take him to court over it?

You'll be helping not only yourselves, but the other tenants whose rights he may have also violated--and may violate in the future.

But, of course, you'll risk his kicking your respective cans to the curb.

Most attorneys will discuss possible cases with you, for up to half an hour, for free (based on their hopes, of course, that something real will happen from it). You could also become members of LegalShield: $25-$30/month, and you have AMAZING access to attorneys! I've been a member of this program for many years, and I feel it has more than paid for itself. But, then again, I and my family have a tendency to drive just a little faster than qwe should, on occasion. Because I feel it is an excellent program, I also sell it, as an "Associate." PM me if you want to learn more.

It sounds like he's seriously upset you, and you have my sincerest sympathy. But if you don't do anything about it, then it really isn't going to change.
--Boothby

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:54 pm

I'm remembering Rei and EL live in the UK somewhere I would expect property rights and trraditions are different, but all this sounds unbearable. Sorry you guys.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:02 am

We are in the UK, so I'm not sure if the same programmes exist or not, although it may be worthwhile for us to look into. If worse comes to worst, we will look at legal action, but we are hoping to sort it through dialogue first as that would be far more affordable and hopefully less drawn out than legal proceedings are likely to be. We've kept the landlords informed of the situation as well as sent them a separate e-mail to let them know that we are quite happy with them as landlords and that this is just an issue we are having with their agents, and that we feel it is important that they know if their agents are causing unnecessary trouble for their tenants.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:46 am

I think "Legal Shield" is specific to the US; I don't know what might be in place in the UK.

Short of legal action (with its concomitant problems), it sounds like you have things well in hand!
--Boothby

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:20 pm

We learned an awful lot from the previous experience. We know what our rights are (and our responsibilities) and are pretty done with being accommodating stuff like this. We are very, very lucky in that we have a friend here who is a property lawyer - he handled the dispute with the previous letting agency for us.

Our game plan for any future violations will be to call him on the spot and ask if we should report a break-and-enter. Yes, dipshit, it is THAT BIG of a deal to us, now do you get it?

The real cherry on top for me was that he didn't even knock. I was right in the front room, and suddenly someone is turning a key in my lock. Not cool.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:59 pm

Sounds like you need a fat, ugly, naked guy to stand near the inside of the doorway at all times.
--Boothby

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:04 am

Damn!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”