Things that I'm afraid of

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Re: Things that I'm afraid of

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:14 am

I had no fears about meeting my girlfriend's parents. However, having met her, a shiver of terror runs up my spine at the thought of spending any time alone with her mother at any point ever.

*shudder*
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Steph is a smarty pants. you should listen to her :)
:stamp:
Wow, you guys are nice!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:12 pm

Shoe shopping (this reminds me of Scrubs, hehehe). I never get a pair that fits entirely comfortably, I just get used to the minor discomfort. They always manage to trick me by feeling comfortable when I'm walking around the store in them (more than a few steps, even) but as soon as I get them home, they feel wrong and taking them back doesn't occur to me because I always pick the wrong shoes anyway.

Anyway, in a whole different way of being afraid, I just ordered some shoes off of Zappos, so we'll see how this goes.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:15 pm

Have you tried using insoles? I always thought they were kinda gimmicky until I started working for a company that sells them and got some free samples... now I can't wear a pair of shoes without putting insoles in them. Just a thought :-)

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:22 pm

I haven't. Is there a brand you recommend (and I honestly don't care if it's a brand your company makes money off of if it's comfortable)?

I walk anywhere from 28-43 miles a week, so I want to have comfortable, happy feet as often as possible.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:03 pm

I walk anywhere from 28-43 miles a week, so I want to have comfortable, happy feet as often as possible.
Try Vibram FiveFingers. For serious. You have to learn to walk a little differently, but the biomechanics are soooo much better. You get nice calf muscles and foot-arch muscles instead of destroying your joints.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:09 pm

I am having a serious problem with my flat feet (fallen arches) lately, since starting to stand at work for 25-30 hours a week. I need some better shoes and/or arch supports.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Try Vibram FiveFingers. For serious. You have to learn to walk a little differently, but the biomechanics are soooo much better. You get nice calf muscles and foot-arch muscles instead of destroying your joints.

I actually looked into these but read they're not the best during cold months, so I figured I'd hold off on trying until next spring.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:45 pm

I can't even tell you how much I LOVE my Jambu shoes. I got them before I went to Hong Kong, and for the first time in my life on a lots-of-walking vacation, my legs were tired from so much walking, but my feet didn't hurt!! The day I wore my (supportive) flip flops instead, my feet were in agony. I can't recommend Jambu enough. They have lots of styles to choose from, and the soles are made from recycled tires.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Noted. If the pair I just ordered don't turn out to my liking, I'll give those a try. :)

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:22 pm

I haven't. Is there a brand you recommend (and I honestly don't care if it's a brand your company makes money off of if it's comfortable)?

The only brand I've ever used is SofSole (the company I work for) but I've always been very happy with them.

I've never worn the Vibram five-fingers myself, but my sister and several friends swear by them, and I've never heard a bad review.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:05 pm

Background info: We have a rule in our family that for birthdays and Christmas, everyone gets ONE present from each member of the family. Right now, that means that we each get 4 presents. (In January, this will change to 5 presents.) Santa brings things to fill our stockings, breakfast and then a few group family gifts, but nothing wrapped under the tree. Because of this, we are never overwhelmed with too many presents. I feel like it's just the right amount.

This year, I have put together an incredibly awesome spread for each kid. I helped the kids pick out great presents for each other, the presents from Brian and I are awesome and they have some incredible surprises from Santa. The good ideas were flowing and we had the money to spend a little bit more on the presents this year than we have in the past. (Though we are still VERY frugal, spending less than half the national average. And at least a hundred of what I spent was with Amazon gift cards I earned through Swagbucks throughout the year and another hundred from Brian's Marshmallowwars sales over the last few weeks.) I am SO excited to give these gifts! I don't even care what my presents are, because the best part for me is giving these presents to my family!!

I'm afraid that, with so many awesome presents, the kids won't fully appreciate each one. Every year, presents are forgotten shortly after receiving, but usually there are presents that just weren't as cool, so I understand. But I don't want that to happen to these presents that are all so perfect for each one of them.

(Don't worry, I know this is a ridiculous thing to worry about. Brian says that I have to worry about something so I'll make something up if I need to.)

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:51 am

How lucky for a kid to have such a great mom!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:38 pm

Seriously. I was pondering that this morning, how your kids are pretty darn lucky.

The fact that you're worried about it is just another green flag.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:51 pm

Getting into a top 30 Law School with a C and a C+ on my record. Who knows, maybe I'll have a couple more by the time I graduate. What if my GPA actually falls below the 3.0 mark at some point? Psych Methods is supposed to be insanely hard, I don't know what this next semester will bring...Here I was thinking I would apply to Emory Law(last I checked, ranked 30?) as a safety when I start the process, but I'm feeling that I'd be lucky if Emory even considered me.

I'm afraid of the idea that the LSAT may be my only saving grace. Because I'm also afraid of the LSAT. I've experienced its questions. How will I manage to do good enough on it to make up for, what I fully expect to be, a 3.3(if I'm lucky) GPA when I graduate? How can I expect to succeed when one of the most intelligent and confident guys I've ever met says he made a 157 on a practice test - I'm not at his level, but how can I hope to make at least a 160 or 165 with only prep books?

How will I make up for what I expect to be a low GPA and an average LSAT when everything else is lacking too? Volunteer hours are lacking. Leadership activities are non-existent since my RHA position Freshman year. Personal relationship with a professor and possible letter of recommendation? Lacking. These are things I can work on. Working 4 days a week, 12 hours minimum: How will I find time to study enough, and volunteer, and go to office hours and be apart of an extra curric actually doing something significant? Yet, I know people who do it and make it look easy.

Future, you scare me.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:40 pm

How can I expect to succeed when one of the most intelligent and confident guys I've ever met says he made a 157 on a practice test - I'm not at his level, but how can I hope to make at least a 160 or 165 with only prep books?
I just pulled out my scoring sheet. The year I took it, you needed to answer between 76-85 of the 101 questions correctly to score between a 160 and 165. (It's always relative, of course, but I believe the scoring bands are typically consistent.)

For what it's worth, I didn't take any of those fancy prep classes or anything and scored a 163. Which is to say: you can do it. Don't stress yourself out too much.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:23 pm

How can I expect to succeed when one of the most intelligent and confident guys I've ever met says he made a 157 on a practice test - I'm not at his level, but how can I hope to make at least a 160 or 165 with only prep books?
I just pulled out my scoring sheet. The year I took it, you needed to answer between 76-85 of the 101 questions correctly to score between a 160 and 165. (It's always relative, of course, but I believe the scoring bands are typically consistent.)

For what it's worth, I didn't take any of those fancy prep classes or anything and scored a 163. Which is to say: you can do it. Don't stress yourself out too much.
76-85? That would make it seem more manageable if this was a normal test, where a C-B range is kind easy if you put in enough effort. With this, it seems worlds away.

I'm happy that you were able to do it without the luxury of prep classes, but i'll admit in my mind that doesn't do much to reassure me. You're on another level Syphon. My prelaw program professor was the same; 170 without prep. Took the LSAT just because, why not? without taking it seriously. And she's had a successful law career and from what I remember reading in the personal triumphs secction, you have too. But, since I'm clearly not on that level, assuming I get into and survive law school - what reason do I have to believe that I will be successful? No reason at the moment.

I can only hope that my 6 or so years of schooling left will make me that person. That level.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:49 am

Probably the best thing you can do is to relax about it. Just remember: it's only a test.

I don't know how much prep you've done, but there are only 3 types of questions: logical reasoning, reading comprehension and analytical reasoning.

The logical reasoning has two sections. Both of the logical reasoning sections were my worst sections. But I also didn't take any formal logic classes and only took the bare minimum philosophy classes needed to get my degree. If you've taken logic, which I think I remember you saying you have, you'll probably be fine with these questions. The reading comprehension section seemed pretty similar to the ACT, if you took that. Finally, the analytical reasoning section is basically just a bunch of logic games. If you understand how logic games work, you'll probably be okay.

But you know what they say: practice makes perfect. I'm pretty sure a few companies sell books filled with actual LSAT tests used in the past. That's where I'd invest my money. (I shelled out thousands of dollars for bar exam prep and found the only useful things provided were the practice tests.) Do the practice tests, get a feel for how the questions are designed, and I'm certain you'll do just fine.

And if you don't like your score, I think you can take it again.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:05 am

I missed the plane last year on my first try to get to Boise.

I've ten minutes from walking to the train station, and I'm pretty scared of it happening again. It was embarrassing, but, most importantly, just plain frustrating. I hate a huge build-up with a horrible let-down.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:09 am

Probably the best thing you can do is to relax about it. Just remember: it's only a test.

I don't know how much prep you've done, but there are only 3 types of questions: logical reasoning, reading comprehension and analytical reasoning.

The logical reasoning has two sections. Both of the logical reasoning sections were my worst sections. But I also didn't take any formal logic classes and only took the bare minimum philosophy classes needed to get my degree. If you've taken logic, which I think I remember you saying you have, you'll probably be fine with these questions. The reading comprehension section seemed pretty similar to the ACT, if you took that. Finally, the analytical reasoning section is basically just a bunch of logic games. If you understand how logic games work, you'll probably be okay.

But you know what they say: practice makes perfect. I'm pretty sure a few companies sell books filled with actual LSAT tests used in the past. That's where I'd invest my money. (I shelled out thousands of dollars for bar exam prep and found the only useful things provided were the practice tests.) Do the practice tests, get a feel for how the questions are designed, and I'm certain you'll do just fine.

And if you don't like your score, I think you can take it again.
Yeah, that's how I am thinking I will study. Just try and get comfortable with the test. That's what I did with the SAT, 7 practice tests in two weeks, to boost it up from 1870 to 2030. Hopefully it will work with the LSAT.

The logic games is the main part I'm worried about. I know people claim its the part most learnable, but still. When I did a few problems during the summer, it would literally take me like 40 minutes to do all the problems in a given set/diagram to the point that I felt I'd comfortably figured it out. And I'd still get a good portion of them wrong.

I'm not too stressed though, to be honest. I get worried and scared, but I don't really get too stressed. I think in the back of my mind, I assume I'll be fine. Thanks though, Syphon.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:44 pm

How lucky for a kid to have such a great mom!
Seriously. I was pondering that this morning, how your kids are pretty darn lucky.

The fact that you're worried about it is just another green flag.
Thank you, guys. These comments seriously mean a lot to me.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:21 am

Fire.

Usually, I can watch Law & Order SVU and not worry about stuff on it, it's just a show, etc. But, recently I saw an episode where a space heater short caused a house fire that killed two kids and it freaked me out. Then on the real news a couple days ago, there was a story about four children dying in a fire. I had to go check Atty - was all I could do not to snatch him out of his crib there and then. Ugh. Will be so happy when it warms up and we don't need the space heater.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Looking at my credit card bill. :?

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:35 pm

-earthquakes (although living in California and only a mile and a half from a fault line this is not unreasonable...) still, I am always looking around for stuff that's going to fall on me and always sleep with my shoes next to my bed since supposedly that's the best precaution to take against broken glass during an earthquake.

-bee's this one is totally irrational but I am defiantly afraid of them, I have never had a horrible encounter with a bee and haven't known anyone who has, however they still totally freak me out. (the scene in the Hunger Games kept me up all night eeeeeekkkkkkk!!!!!)

-spiders, I'm normally only afraid of spiders when I'm already feeling jittery about something else. however it isn't a totally irrational fear since I certainty seem to end up with a lot of spider bites...

-my upcoming placement tests (I need to skip out of 2 math levels to continue where with the next course that I would regularly attend, I don't need to skip anything since I already did that so the test shouldn't be that hard...) I'm not that worried that I will not pass them, however just knowing that something could happen and I might not pass them is scary... perhaps its just that I can't really see what the consequences of that would be so it like being afraid of the dark, I'm just afraid of what might be there...

EDIT: I got into 3a like I wanted so this ones off the list
Last edited by TerresaWiggin on Tue May 14, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:55 pm

-bee's
-spiders,
Sorry, I laughed at these. Not because they're not scary and not because of you, but because it reminds me of the movie The Replacements with Keanu Reeves.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:00 pm

-bee's
-spiders,
Sorry, I laughed at these. Not because they're not scary and not because of you, but because it reminds me of the movie The Replacements with Keanu Reeves.
Quicksand!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:03 pm

Quicksand!
haha, yes! :mrgreen:

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:20 pm

You mean like spiders on the field?

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:02 pm

You mean like spiders on the field?
:stoned:

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:00 pm

The Replacements is a highly underrated film, IMHO.

I wouldn't say I am scared of spiders, but I do panic when they are on my person. And I have a hard time killing them and will almos always opt for transporting them outside.

Bees, however... As long as they stay away I'm fine with them, but as soon as I hear buzzing I freak. I think it is more a fear of getting stung than the bees themselves. Though the bee scene in the X-Files movie was quite scary to me as a kid...
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:17 am

I'm fine with spiders when I have clothes on. BUT if they come near me when naked (or jump down my shirt...) they die. its all reflex and I feel really bad afterwords.

dannydawg
Launchie
Launchie

Postby dannydawg » Mon May 13, 2013 10:59 pm

I'm afraid of my business failing.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Tue May 14, 2013 9:24 am

I'm afraid of my business failing.
ditto
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:45 pm

Mice. Specifically, non-pet mice who have found their way into your home.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:42 am

For some reason, I've started to get heart palpitations every time I'm thinking about speaking in class. For the past year or so.
I don't know why; I was at the top of my public speaking confidence level in my Moral Psychology class Senior year of college, then I went to law school and it seemed to reset to the embryonic stage. Despite this, I did pretty well in my first year moot court competition(very narrowly losing to my partner as the best speaker in our group of 4). But we had to stand in the front of class to debate sides in a practice scenarios in my evidence class, and my legs couldn't stop shaking. Really irks me.

"Palms sweaty, knees weak, arms spaghetti"

Don't know if there's any efficient tips for public speaking(other than just getting comfortable with it, which I was previously). I used to be able to just do it and my nervousness would evaporate once I started.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”