I am that is! Brian Jacques 1939-2011

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

I am that is! Brian Jacques 1939-2011

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:10 am

:(

Mr Jacques passed away yesterday. I loved his Redwall books as a teenager, and I still do.

Some part of me hopes he left a word puzzle behind just complicated enough that a tween could figure it out and find a message from him.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:31 am

:(

I need to re-read some of those books again. I remember quite loving his work when I was younger.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:05 pm

I don't know how everyone got the impression that he passed away yesterday; it actually happened on Saturday.

And people need to stop reminding me, because it makes me really sad. He was the first author that I really, really liked, and the first one that I liked at all that wasn't already dead. "New books will keep coming out? That's crazy!" The whole furry thing nowadays makes it really, really aggravating to bring up his books, which is just about the dumbest thing ever.

Anyway, pretty sure Marlfox was my favorite. Salamandastron was up there, though. Oh! And Martin the Warrior. Sad panda. I need to read the newer ones. The last I read was Taggerung.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:58 pm

The Legend of Luke was it for me, that and the original Redwall. I think the food he wrote about was my first interest in wild food cooking or whatever you want to call it. I'll have to get myself the Redwall Cookbook before the shops decide he's dead and they don't need to carry it anymore.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:18 pm

MARIEL OF REDWALL was, I think, my favourite. Something about her character I just found drew me in.

The hares and the badgers were generally my favourite characters, though.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:31 pm

Wow, did everyone read the Redwall books?

I also used to be crazy about them, as a kid.
(I remember I onced pictured Martin The Warrior fighting Batman)
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:37 pm

Wow, did everyone read the Redwall books?
I haven't. Which is actually a bit odd, since they've always sounded like something I'd like, and I've been meaning to read them since I heard about them when I was a teenager.
The whole furry thing nowadays makes it really, really aggravating to bring up his books, which is just about the dumbest thing ever.
Yeah, 'cuz people keep bringing it up whenever it's mentioned! People like Mich.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:43 am

Yeah, 'cuz people keep bringing it up whenever it's mentioned! People like Mich.
I was just trying to prempt... :(

Oh, wait, you can't talk, you never read them!

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:50 am

For some reason I thought yesterday was the 6th. I had the date of Mr Jacques' death right, I just didn't have the current day right. For the record.

And I really, really don't want to know about Redwall furries. That is just wrong.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:12 am

I am very sad to say that I have never heard of the author OR his books. I guess I need to remedy this soon. I'll have to check out what my library has.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:12 am

And I really, really don't want to know about Redwall furries. That is just wrong.
No. That is not what I'm talking about! Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze you guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuys. All I mean is you bring it up and because of the huge internet hate machine directed at furries someone is always like "Yeah, but Redwall is furry," and suddenly there's a huge argument.

So, yeah, not at all what is happening here.

And, for the record, to my understanding, not all things furry are gross or sexual in nature. But that's a topic for a different thread. Because this thread is about Brian Jacques' untimely death.

Row--row.

waffleman
Soldier
Soldier

Postby waffleman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:29 pm

I tried reading Redwall, in gr3. I couldnt finish it it was too boring for me. It ruined the series for me i guess, because the impression it left makes me not want to try the series again.
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.
Pablo Picasso

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:33 pm

I've read some of his books from time to time - some when I was younger, others when I was older. I even had a map of the books at one point - I think I gave it to my mother the librarian.

There's a song that always reminds me of Redwall, but I don't recall what song it is. I used to hear it fairly often though.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Ratey!!!!!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:14 am

Ratey!!!!!
Hi.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Good to see you, Ratey. :)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Re: I am that is! Brian Jacques 1939-2011

Postby locke » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:13 am

I am that is!

Some part of me hopes he left a word puzzle behind just complicated enough that a tween could figure it out and find a message from him.
Matthias

I read Martin the Warrior, first, I think, then devoured Mossflower and Redwall, couldn't find Mattimeo for the longest time (then it was reprinted in paperback) and several others. Salamandastron was the newest one when I was in fifth grade.
I tried reading Redwall, in gr3.
Please don't tell me that's text for third grade? Ugh.

reminds me of a story the children's ministry leader at Renee's church told us awhile ago, the were doing a sunday school project, and the kids were supposed to write a couple sentences on their worksheet or whatever and one of the second grade girls thought this too daunting a prospect, raised her hand and asked, "can I write it in text?"
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”