Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Re: Confessions of a 20-something mother

Postby Mich » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:47 pm

I get far, far too anxious about shopping. Today I set out with the intent to purchase a new coat with my Christmas bonus (a Nordstrom gift card that could afford a low-end all-weather coat) and a new sweater in that magical mix of materials that doesn't attract cat fur. I got more and more frustrated as the day went on and I couldn't find anything. Department stores are frustrating because I couldn't give a crap what brand something is in, thus I needed to visit each "collection" and find the specific area for sweaters, and then sweaters that zip (which I like) and then ones in my size/material mix. Nordstrom was the exact same way, except I would not realize how expensive I was getting until I was in the suits department and getting eyed as I immediately checked every jacket to see that it was way, way expensive.

And then the growing anxiety that I would have to go home empty-handed, thus wasting the Trimet ticket and my time and all of this energy plus the growing anxiety as the day I had set aside to go shopping neared throughout the week...

I used to tell people that I liked shopping, but I'm pretty sure I don't. Even if it's for something like a video game I just stress that what I want won't be there.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:34 am

And then the growing anxiety that I would have to go home empty-handed, thus wasting the Trimet ticket and my time and all of this energy plus the growing anxiety as the day I had set aside to go shopping neared throughout the week...
*nod* Same here. I get some form of that with online shopping (which introduces whole new anxieties into the experience) but it helps with a few in-store issues. Unfortunately, clothes are the area of online shopping that raises new anxieties that exist but not as strongly from store shopping.

Basically, just, no.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:36 pm

I told a new acquaintance today that she was the first person I had ever met that was paler than me. I meant it as a compliment! I love being pale and am always trying to stay pale, put on sunblock, stay out of the sun, etc. But she didn't take it as a compliment. She was a little offended. I felt bad. :cry:
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:04 pm

I just noticed I'm now "Ewok in Tauntaun-land" and I'm a little sad to no longer be "Ewok in Jawa-land," even if only in spirit.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:19 pm

i changed that like the week you moved to Chicago, btw.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:58 am

I'm obviously very observant of my Pweb surroundings these past two years. :stoned:

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:02 am

Wait.....really? It's said Tauntaun up there for that long? I'm not sure how I didn't notice that before.

Luet: awww :(
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53 pm

I'm pretty sure Adam doesn't know what he's talking about since I just changed it a couple months ago.
The enemy's fly is down.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat May 10, 2014 10:06 am

Although I still love Liberte yogurt, I feel a bit like a traitor here on pweb because I have a new favorite. Liberte has such limited flavors available here (usually only 2-3), but Noosa has so many flavors! And I love that I can reuse the containers when packing dinner leftovers for Brian to take to work.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sat May 10, 2014 11:19 am

I love Noosa! So much! It has completely spoiled me for other yogurt.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:45 pm

I have fallen in love with Tillamook's yogurt. The Oregon Strawberry is hands down the best yogurt I have ever had!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu May 15, 2014 5:28 am

I've become very fond of Sainsbury's yoghurt, mostly for their lemon flavour. I rarely see Liberte here, so I have to go with what I can find. Also, I have a pot of blackcurrant in the fridge that I'm excited to try.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:19 pm

My votes today were determined much more by which candidates have annoyed me less in the last year than by actual campaign issues. While I know voters should inform ourselves on the issues and whatnot, I think after candidates spent $50+ million in campaigning, I should have gotten more than "Begich is an Obama-loving liberal" and "Dan Sullivan hates women" from their ads (The other contests have been almost equally obnoxious--that one just cost the most). At least the marijuana legalization issue has had some intelligent debate....

That turned into a bit of "Things that I Hate," didn't it?
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Confession: I'm super happy to see posts from Shannon and Mich. SUPER happy.

Confession: Apparently I'm territorial/possessive of places. Because I am having the strangest reaction to seeing someone post things from somewhere I have lived and spent formative years in; I'm proud of the place and, really wanting to not associate it with these people, thinking they can't know it the way I have known it. Which is obviously true but really stupid on my part. But still. Stop mixing my worlds up, please and thank you.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:05 am

Confession: I'm super happy to see posts from Shannon and Mich. SUPER happy.
Shut up baby, I know you love it.

Row--row.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:39 pm

When I hear someone say "you don't own a cat, a cat owns you' or similar s*****, I can't help but feel they live a sorry, embarrassing existence where they get value from a polite chuckle for their bland witticism.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:40 pm

Also I've been drinking and I'm being harsh.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:30 am

When I hear someone say "you don't own a cat, a cat owns you' or similar s*****, I can't help but feel they live a sorry, embarrassing existence where they get value from a polite chuckle for their bland witticism.
People who don't like cats tend to be terribly rude about it! It's dumb and they should feel dumb.

Row--row.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:56 am

Confession:

I've started just going straight to explainxkcd.com instead of bothering with xkcd.com. This started because I wasn't able to read the scrollover text on my phone, so it was helpful to see it printed, but I then realized that, honestly, half the time it just saves me a step in terms of figuring out references I don't get.

(For the record, I did understand today's without problem.)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:50 am

Stop mixing my worlds up, please and thank you.
But... It's so warm here.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:38 pm

We got a new cat. Her name was Smi, we're calling her Esmi, maybe, because Atty can't pronouce the S in Smi, so it comes out "Me" and we're also trying to teach pronouns, so Esmi clarifies.

Donny saw her picture in the grocery store window and she sounded really perfect. Atty's a little nervous around animals, and she's three, and we figured that's young enough to be fun, but old enough to be reasonably settled, and she's declawed, but we didn't have to decide to declaw her, so yay, and the owner wanted her with a small family, great, and she's supposedly cuddly and friendly...

NOPE!

I mean, maybe she will be, eventually. She was obviously quite attached to her owner while we were there, went up to her to be brushed, rolled on her side, just a good cat-human bond. She's not a mean cat, really, probably. I know, I know. She's new. She's scared. She was perfectly happy being the center of attention from her previous owner and sees no reason why we would've taken her away from that happy home. So, she's hissing and growling and mostly hiding, except sometimes not. And today she damn near prevented me from being able to do laundry, and then she came into the kitchen while I was making tea and started growling and actually started kind of charging up like she was thinking of attacking and I was like, "HELL NO, CAT, I WILL NOT BE DRIVEN FROM MY KITCHEN." You know. The line must be drawn here! This far, no farther!

Anyhow, the confession is that basically I think I wish we hadn't gotten her and I'm actually not really sure I wanted another cat at all. And I feel bad because I know I don't actually KNOW her yet. Maybe in a few months I won't be able to imagine the place without her, but right now I am imagining it rather longingly. And as a person who is generally regarded in my friend circles as The Cat Whisperer, I feel guilty. (And resentful that she doesn't like me already because all cats really love me, except for cats who hate everybody. And even they usually tolerate me better than they tolerate most people.)

(Atty has been VERY good about giving her space and respecting her hisses and growls and if she attacks him we. are. done.)

(I miss Reece and Tara so much it hurts.)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:45 pm

At night, during prayers, Atty has taken to filling in the "Thank you for..." blank with, "Don't be scared of kitty cat." I'm not sure if he's thankful for the cat, thankful for hearing "don't be scared," or supplicating God for the strength not to be scared of the kitty cat. It's pretty cute, anyhow.

He does freak out about the cat from time to time, but keeps trying to like it. From, like, fifteen feet away. "Hi Smi! Hello, kitty-cat! Meow!" Very politely and respectfully. However, when he runs into the cat and he's not prepared, he starts shrieking. I think the cat must have hissed or growled or charged at him or something, because he's EXTREMELY cautious.

Today was hopeful, though. The cat meowed a lot, which she hasn't really done up until now, mostly hisses and growls. And she started rubbing up on things. And she made pretty clear she wanted some treats and expected them. And, like, purposely went into rooms where we were.

Petting is still strictly verboten, and she does not like us walking past her. But, y'know. Baby steps.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:18 pm

Her wanting pets from you made me so, so happy. I hope these baby steps keep happening for you guys!

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:52 am

It's gotten way, way, unbelievably better. She's still a temperamental kitty, and Atticus still gets a bit nervous of her has to walk by her in close quarters to leave a room, but it's great overall. Last night, we were all laying in bed to read Atty's story, and she came and joined us and demanded pets from all of us, including Atty. And she's pretty playful, they bond over the red dot chasing. I think they'll be fast friends soon. It's never going to be like Reece, maybe, she obviously did not help raise him from infancy. But we're enjoying her a lot more.

I call her Esme when she's being a lady, Smee-bee to be affectionate, and Smeagol when she's getting on my nerves.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:25 am

Confession: I am not sad that David Bowie died. I'm sorry a person has died but I'm not in the least actually affected by his death. This makes me feel pretty bad intellectually but that's about it.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:09 am

Confession: I am not sad that David Bowie died. I'm sorry a person has died but I'm not in the least actually affected by his death. This makes me feel pretty bad intellectually but that's about it.
I wish I could say this about Alan Rickman... I'm much sadder about him than I probably should be.

I think watching Sense and Sensibility is in order for the day. :(

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:06 pm

Yeah, Alan Rickman's death has made me feel all sorts of sad things. And I'm okay with that.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:37 am

The number of white hairs that have suddenly appeared on my head is freaking me right the f*** out.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:11 pm

Yeah, I turned 39 a few months ago and my greys have proliferated lately too.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:24 pm

I really, really can't stand my brother's fiancée. Like, at all. Not even a little. I find her disagreeable to the point of just not talking to my brother anymore to avoid having to deal with her in any capacity.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:15 am

The number of years that can be traversed by scrolling through a single page of a thread here kind of scares the s*** out of me.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:45 pm

You get used to it. :shrug:

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:22 am

Confession: I really want to be a 20-something mother. This baby craziness is getting out of control...

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:19 pm

Confession: I really want to be a 20-something mother. This baby craziness is getting out of control...
It can get pretty intense.... I ended up being a 39 some mother.... Still pretty great.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:18 pm

I hope it happens for you when the time is right, whenever that may be. Good luck. :)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”