Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Re: Confessions of a 20-something mother

Postby locke » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:54 pm

I left all the towels in the floor this morning hoping my partner would notice and wash them, because I don't want to.
mystified as to how a guy would make this mental connection from 'towels on the floor' to 'needs to be washed' That is a pretty enormous jump for a person to make (particularly if the dude in question has no clue that he's supposed to be making a connection)

This is not even getting into the issue of whether or not the person in question would even notice the towels in question on the floor. Then he has to register the towels' anomalous state (on the floor) and then process the anomalous state into the correct conclusion (that this is a passive agressive way of requesting the towels be cleaned).

Far more likely that he would come up with a more logical conclusion, like 'gnomes did it'.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm mystified as to how anyone would come to that conclusion. Then again, I've never lived with anyone who would need to know that.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:01 pm

That's what you do at hotel rooms. Makes sense to me.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:14 pm

Those folks are paid (albeit probably not much) to do that and the rules are defined ahead of time. :P

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:02 pm

My mom let me know that they know I'm not exactly... faithful. In terms of churchiness. She did it in what I thought was a pretty tactful way, too: asking me not to take Communion at Christmas Mass. Then we both managed to joke it off, and that was that.

The confession is that I greatly appreciate and am relieved at how easy that was.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:42 pm

I hate when a post/thread that I'm certain I've read has been deleted/removed when I come back later (I hate it when this happens everywhere. Not just here. The APW moderators delete comments with somewhat controversial frequency). It makes me feel like I'm imagining things.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:38 pm

I'd apologize but I wouldn't mean it and you deserve better than dishonesty. I've been feeling increasingly disconnected/isolated and it is not good for my mental health to have reminders around that people don't have much to say to me. The deletion of the tree thread was probably premature but it felt better to get rid of it after a few hours of no response than to wait for potential but not guaranteed posts.

I won't be offended if you or anyone else wants to start a new one.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:40 pm

I thought it was a good idea for a thread, even though I didn't have anything to add (not doing Christmas and all). :stoned:
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:00 pm

I was going to post! But I can't figure out how to do pictures to message boards from my phone (which I do the majority of my internetting on). I need to go break out the real computer.
-Kim

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Kimmie, I'm with you. My phone won't support photobucket. It drives me batty. Finally I found ImageShack to post the Santa pic. It's still a little bit of a pain, but maybe it'll work for you, too.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:10 pm

Aw...I was going to take a picture tonight when the lights were on. And once I got the snow flakes hanging up, I was going to take a pic of our lit-up winter scene! I'm sorry you felt like no one was going to respond! :( (I understand the feeling, though.)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:04 pm

I really need to start responding to threads I mean to respond to when I see them instead of waiting for something good to stay. I should go find that post whore thread and start going through the rules one at a time.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:56 pm

Confession: My mom told me they're now keeping guns in the house and I don't know how to feel about it. I don't really approve of them but they're legal (in AZ, perhaps a little too easy to get/use, too) and she's an adult and I know plenty of people who have them in their homes just fine...but it clashes so strongly with my idea of home that I'm feeling, well, I don't know. Weird.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:03 am

Confession: My mom told me they're now keeping guns in the house and I don't know how to feel about it. I don't really approve of them but they're legal (in AZ, perhaps a little too easy to get/use, too) and she's an adult and I know plenty of people who have them in their homes just fine...but it clashes so strongly with my idea of home that I'm feeling, well, I don't know. Weird.
I'd feel nice that my family was probably a lot safer now. On the other hand, I'm also used to have the gun cabinet in the corner of my bedroom. I have to say, I think the best thing for becoming acclimatized to having guns around is to take a safety course and go to a firing range, but since you're in Chicago, I suspect that's out of the picture. I have a lot of great memories shooting things with my family and friends, and there are places where gun culture is a whole heck of a lot stronger than it is here.

Anyway, hope you can feel comfortable with the new arrangement eventually!
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:14 am

I've used a handgun, multiple times. I never warmed up to them despite being a not terrible shot. I don't feel like my family is safer, I feel like my home is now compromised and quote all the stats you want, I feel like being there in a few weeks with them will make me less safe.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:56 am

I would feel the same way, Alea.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:23 am

I like shooting and I understand why people want guns in their house, but they do make me a little uncomfortable. My dad has his hunting rifles locked in their cases in the basement and I don't mind them at all, but when he takes them out to clean them I freak out a little bit. Why I get nervous around an unloaded, partially disassembled gun in the house when I quite enjoy shooting all sorts of guns outside I don't quite understand, but that's how it is. I am also a lot more comfortable with my dad carrying a handgun while hiking than I would be with him carrying one around town. I guess I would just like to believe that my home and my town are safe enough places that there is no reason for them and guns to go together.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:14 pm

I feel like my home is now compromised and quote all the stats you want, I feel like being there in a few weeks with them will make me less safe.
That's a terrible feeling to have. I hope you can feel safe.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm surprised at how poorly I thought the Facebook Year In Review turned out for me. It got Adam's wedding right and maybe another one or two things but by and large, well, it felt inaccurate.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:50 pm

I guess I would just like to believe that my home and my town are safe enough places that there is no reason for them and guns to go together.
I've been giving this a lot of thought and I think this might play a part in it.

I'm not silly enough to think that crime stays in the neighborhoods where it's at its worst but, knock on wood, I've never felt threatened enough anywhere I've lived to feel like keeping a weapon in my home is justified. It's hard to make the switch from "things meant to kill or severely harm" to "things meant to protect." It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive or more one than the other but I can't convince myself that the pros outweigh the cons.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:32 pm

"Watch, O Lord, with all those awake this night,
Watch, O Lord, with all those who weep.
Give your angels and saints
charge over all who sleep."

That's the refrain of the last hymn we sang at last night's Advent service. It was running through my head as I drifted off to sleep around two this morning. Turns out, it was meant as ironic foreshadowing. Atty was in bed beside me, like he's been I don't know how many times since birth. He wasn't quite asleep - normally he nurses to sleep when I put him in bed an lays right beside me until we wake up. I didn't mean to fall asleep, actually. Just to get him to sleep and put him in his crib because I wake up all crampy when he sleeps with me. But he'd already been up once and I was tired and drifted off.

Suddenly, I was awake, brain registering a "thunk" I'd heard in my sleep and Atty wailing. I reached for him, not beside me. For a millisecond, I thought he must be crying from his crib. Then I put it together and scrambled across the bed to get him, praying he hadn't hit the bookcase (he didn't). I didn't stop to think to turn on a light, everything in me was just screeching, "pick him up! Get him off the floor!" So, I ended up hauling him on the bed upside down. Which, ugh, so glad he wasn't hurt, because that was so stupid in retrospect.

He's fine, absolutely, thankfully, but ugh. He's been sick, and I just fell down a flight of stairs with him a couple weeks ago. Both were stupid, stupid accidents and I'm trying not to beat myself up too badly, but yeah. Not feeling terribly mother of the year today.

He's fine, he's forgotten, it took Donny longer to calm me than it took me to calm Atty. Just, yeah. Uffda.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:09 pm

I can't even imagine how scary that must be but we humans are built pretty sturdy. I'm glad he's okay and I'm glad you're mostly okay, aiming for altogether okay.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Whenever I lose a FB friend -and I would never allow myself to have so many I wouldn't at least notice that- it drives me a little more insane that I can't figure out who it was than that this person decided I was no longer worth knowing/knowing about.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:28 pm

I am doing a little dance of joy that I finally found Ginny the gift she's been asking for. She has asked Santa repeatedly for a "big Applejack", by which she means, a pony that is not the little one-inch one she already owns - a big Applejack means she will have all the main six ponies (plus others).
I searched four different stores in St. John's and didn't find it. I looked in two stores here and FINALLY found it.
Hallelujah. She will have the thing in her stocking that she's wanted for half a year.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:33 pm

I am doing a little dance of joy that I finally found Ginny the gift she's been asking for. She has asked Santa repeatedly for a "big Applejack", by which she means, a pony that is not the little one-inch one she already owns - a big Applejack means she will have all the main six ponies (plus others).
I searched four different stores in St. John's and didn't find it. I looked in two stores here and FINALLY found it.
Hallelujah. She will have the thing in her stocking that she's wanted for half a year.
I feel like this is a triumph, not a confession!
-Kim

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:25 am

Hah. Yeah, I guess it is. I put it here because I feel like it's a confession how many stores I went to. It makes me feel silly. I don't want to be the kind of parent who feels like Christmas is ruined if I didn't get my kid the exact perfect toy. But the joy on her face tomorrow will totally be worth it.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:17 pm

I feel kind of lost on pweb right now. Like I want to post, but I'm so out of touch, it's hard.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:46 pm

I, for one, saw your name on the main page and was so excited to see you back! Post away!
-Kim

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:52 pm

I'll be in chat as often as I think of it, so if you see me, come say hi!

And congrats again, Kimmie! Can you believe how old/awesome we've all become over the years?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:06 pm

I feel kind of lost on pweb right now. Like I want to post, but I'm so out of touch, it's hard.
There's not much to touch but I likewise am so excited to see your posts again; I've missed you like crazy and didn't want to be pushy with you about posting because of Life and all.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:00 pm

At 36yo, I had my first ever diet soda today (Dr Pepper). And I didn't hate it.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:36 pm

I stumbled across an academic job posting last night. It wasn't even really close to being the job I want, though it's one I could do. I looked at the application process and it kind of freaked me out, though I didn't figure it out until this afternoon.

It was the first job posting I've ever looked at with any degree of seriousness that could actually be a career type job. Every job I've ever had has been just killing time and paying the bills. But I'm going to finish writing this year, and with that timeline, I could actually look at jobs now. That is just unbelievable to me. I'm almost 30, and my life might actually start at last.

WHAT.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:25 pm

That I am putting this in confessions is a confession in and of itself.

Working on my resume (I have no idea how to do accents over the e's when I'm not in Word), I am losing my love of the Oxford comma. I used to love it without question, but it seems to make things too choppy in this particular case. Maybe if I used a font with a subtler comma...

I am so conflicted.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:53 pm

(I have no idea how to do accents over the e's when I'm not in Word)
Alt+130

I have no idea on a Mac, however. I only know because of so much Pokémon.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:10 am

I only know because of so much Pokémon.
I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was...
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”