How about that weather, then, eh?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: How about that weather, then, eh?

Postby Luet » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:55 am

I can't even imagine. This is when you need a friend with a car to drive you to work! I'm paying double to park around the corner from work instead of in a lot 5 blocks away on these below zero (and -30 wind chill) mornings.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:06 pm

All my coworkers, save one, live in places from which it would be terribly inconveniencing to come get me and really, it's not their problem anyway. The one that lives semi-close goes in 4 hours earlier than I do but offered me a ride home if I make it in.

I'm torn because it'd just be easiest for all and safest for all if the library closed. But that would mean PT staff don't get paid, which I kind of need.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:41 pm

Seriously, how do you even face that sort of cold? I could layer more but only to a point and I feel like goggles or something would be best to keep my eyes protected but the closest I have is sunglasses. I'm half tempted to text the boss and tell him I'm concerned for the safety of being out for 20-40 minutes in an unsheltered environment and would like to work from home.
It really is all about the layers. My typical attire for bitter bitter cold is normal undies, sweat-wicking long undies, flannel PJ pants, pants pants, and snow pants (plus thick wool socks and heavily insulated boots, or two pairs of wool socks and normal winter footwear). On top, a sweat-wicking long sleeve shirt (under-armor or the like, but baggy), a hoodie, several zip-up layers of fleece, and my coat. Thick neck-warmer or scarf and hat under the hood of the hoodie (nose tucked into the neck warmer, or an extra face-mask for the nose) / alternatively a balaclava), and coat-hood pulled up over it all. Never really needed googles if I'm not skiing, because windchill can usually be dealt with by proper inclination of the head and a "mere" -15F - -20F of actual temperature isn't going to freeze your eyeballs, and glasses will be COLD on your skin.
At least for today, it's nice to just watch the snow fall during breaks from reading. This is exactly what I imagined all winter "storms" and snowfall to be; actually substantial, ya know? Not just a sprinkling of what looks like powdered sugar or maybe an inch of two of crunchy stuff. Almost two years here and I'm finally seeing the stuff of my imagination. It's kind of mind-blowing. And gorgeous.
:party:

Also, I love the wind howling just over my head when I sleep at home in my loft.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:26 am

It really is all about the layers. My typical attire for bitter bitter cold is normal undies, sweat-wicking long undies, flannel PJ pants, pants pants, and snow pants (plus thick wool socks and heavily insulated boots, or two pairs of wool socks and normal winter footwear). On top, a sweat-wicking long sleeve shirt (under-armor or the like, but baggy), a hoodie, several zip-up layers of fleece, and my coat. Thick neck-warmer or scarf and hat under the hood of the hoodie (nose tucked into the neck warmer, or an extra face-mask for the nose) / alternatively a balaclava), and coat-hood pulled up over it all. Never really needed googles if I'm not skiing, because windchill can usually be dealt with by proper inclination of the head and a "mere" -15F - -20F of actual temperature isn't going to freeze your eyeballs, and glasses will be COLD on your skin.

I don't believe anything I own is sweat-wicking (but people constantly tell me what materials will do this and I pretty much don't retain the information), nor do I own snow pants. Also, most of my scarves are slightly more fashionable than functional (which is not to say they're not functional).

Basically, I have prepared for the type of winter I've mostly dealt with and not the polar vortex winter we just had.

And...the weather reports have all told me I'll get frostbite, hypothermia, or DEATH in prolonged exposure to actual -15ish (mostly with the added windchill) so :P

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:03 pm

If you don't mind sacrificing fashion, a cheap pair of army-surplus wool pants will do the trick for snow pants. That's what I use, and I got my pair for maybe $10, which is much much cheaper than the correspondingly sized snow pants would have been. :thumbs:

The scarf doesn't need to be super-functional. It's main purpose is to make a pocket of slightly-warmer air to protect your face from frostbite. If everything else is dressed appropriately, it's not all that relevant to keeping your body temperature up, and if everything else isn't dressed appropriately - it won't help much.

Also, favor mittens over gloves. Keeping your fingers together helps a lot. I have also a great pair army surplus wool-and-canvas trigger mittens that keep a good balance of warmth and dexteriy: your pointer finger has the option of being indepedent, or tucked in with everyone else.

The sweat-wicking clothes aren't necessary from a short-term warmth perspective (you could replace them easily with a non-sweat-wicking layer), but they're critical if you're going to be moving around a lot or outside for a long period of time: it's actually possible to be dressed too hot, even in -30, but you can't afford to let perspiration get cold in those conditions, and cotton is completely worthless once it's wet. Wool, fleece, and synthetics are where it's at.

The weather reports are absolutely correct that this sort of weather can kill, but with appropriate clothing you can be fine all day. The moral of the story is...

And now...back to your regularly scheduled programming ;)
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:41 am

I have also a great pair army surplus wool-and-canvas trigger mittens that keep a good balance of warmth and dexteriy: your pointer finger has the option of being indepedent, or tucked in with everyone else.
WANT.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:48 pm

WANT.
Wool mitten: http://www.amazon.com/Military-Cold-Wea ... B0049B7NMY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Canvas mitten shell: http://www.amazon.com/Official-US-Milit ... B0036ZTDYA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Make sure you get the right sizing and all that.

And the pants too, if anyone cares: http://www.amazon.com/Military-Field-Tr ... B00CX7KX82" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't get any of my stuff from Amazon, but this is what it looks like, so I think its the same thing.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 pm

It's a sloppy slick damn mess here now! the ground is frozen so hard all the wet stuff turns to sheet ice with water on top. Talk about slick!

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:20 pm

Brrrrrrr! :bow:

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:49 pm

This is the part of winter when I start to get a bit upset with every sloppy wet little snowfall. I wouldn't mind if spring came a bit early but knowing it would be wrong.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:10 pm

Cold. Very cold. Still very cold. The car heater has given up entirely.

Even dogeweather.com 's validation is not cheering me up.

Winter. Must. Die. I'm thinking of starting some kind of hero quest to kill it, somehow. Any volunteers if I do?
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:12 pm

It was surprisingly perfect today. Not too cold, not too hot, not too bright. Just right.
Unfortunately, its been a while since I had the opportunity to spend my Saturday afternoon lazing around, doing nothing, at my place... so after accomplishing some 'productive' things, I jumped at the opportunity, came back to my dorm, and disregarded the world outside.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:23 pm

Back to hell here!

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:29 pm

High of 60* today. Snow starting shortly.

Gotta love colorado weather!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:21 pm

We are halfway to May and it's snowing outside. What...?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46 pm

It was 20C (68F) here today, which is pretty much my threshold for shorts and t-shirts, and the forecast for tomorrow involves snow and icy conditions with a high of -1C (30F).

A 20 degree celsius drop in less than 24 hours?! This winter/spring season has brought some of the most bizarre weather I've ever seen.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:21 pm

It keeps getting harder for me to handle the heat! Seems like we were just complaning about the cold weather, could time possibly fly by any faster?

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:29 pm

Ick. Summer. It's bad news when I'm grateful for lows of 75.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:12 pm

Its so smokey here! Damn near dark!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:54 am

It's 78 here now, and a bit humid. I'm hoping both of those things improve in time for my frisbee game in a few hours.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:35 pm

We just had a helluva storm here! trees down all over hail may hav done a number on the wheat m everything else even had a river run down the ditches and had a creek running round our yard n house. Glad we keep up on crop insurance, where is that policy?

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:01 am

I don't know what I think of "global warming" but our weather patterns are changing for shure, but then they always have been.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:41 am

Hell, this is some strange s***! we keep getting these thunderstorms "every stinking day" we just get the harvest crew together and get started up when the wheat and barley gets dry enough to cut and it starts again. the grain is starting to discolor and I keep waiting to hear that there is some wheat "sprouting in the heads" around soon. Bad enough the crop is short here locally and then there were the hail storms last month, what a mess.

Nikihak
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Nikihak » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:35 am

Hell, this is some strange s***! we keep getting these thunderstorms "every stinking day" we just get the harvest crew together and get started up when the wheat and barley gets dry enough to cut and it starts again. the grain is starting to discolor and I keep waiting to hear that there is some wheat "sprouting in the heads" around soon. Bad enough the crop is short here locally and then there were the hail storms last month, what a mess.
Yes, same s*** was happening in here, there were heavy rain every day till last weak... Agriculture suffered a lot (I know, becauseI have a little "farm" in village) I hope the weather will improve for you!

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:34 am

Wow Nikihak Serbia! Your a curiosity to me as I'm always super interested in how people farm in different parts of the world. Do ya have any old John Deere tractors or combines?

Nikihak
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Nikihak » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Wow Nikihak Serbia! Your a curiosity to me as I'm always super interested in how people farm in different parts of the world. Do ya have any old John Deere tractors or combines?
Not exactly, we don't have that much of a land. One wine yard (if you call it like that) which give us about 2-3 60l barrels of wine and that much of rakija (which is similar to vodka just made from grapes). We also have one farmland which is primarily used for corn.
We use this one as most advanced thing :D

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Thats a neat machine and it sounds like you have a nice farm. I especially like how you make your own alcahol, we should try that too, I've often thought about producing some of our own fuel. Even if I do consume it myself :wave:

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:35 pm

It's finally getting chilly! I'm so happy!

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:22 pm

This is the best time of the year!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:47 pm

It is a crisp 58F out and I am inside (with the patio door open), wearing sweats as I await the start of my class. A few days in the foreseeable future will reach the mid 70s but it seems as though the new highs will be in the 60s and upper 50s. My chai has been ordered but due to exercise/eating, I'll have to limit my intake on it this year, which, when all is said and done, is a pure shame. Nothing quite comes close to a nice cup of hot chai after a cool (or freezing, depending on time of year) 1.5 mile walk home.

I'm not looking forward to the winter this year. Last year's didn't scare me so much as lasted for so long, I don't feel I've gotten enough warmth and sun out of spring and summer to mentally make it through another half-year winter.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:27 pm

It's fall!!!!

:frolic:

It's usually not as cold here as there, so you could come meet Jocelyn on a super cold weekend and probably have a lot of nice sunshine here. :D
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:27 pm

So how 'bout that wind chill? Tomorrow is supposed to be Pretty Damn Cold®. While not the -40s we saw last year at this time of year, -30s is close enough. It's making me want to hibernate in blankets.

psyned
Launchie
Launchie

Postby psyned » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:26 am

It's warmed up here a bit. Up to about 3 degrees. T-shirt weather! 8)
Human beings didn't evolve brains in order to lie around on lakes. Killing's the first thing we learned. And a good thing we did, or we'd be dead - Valentine

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:35 am

I just love when the sun comes out and lights up the day even if it's still polar like cold! :frolic:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:09 pm

LOTS of snow today. My work and practicum library are both closed, so more time for moving (at least a little bit...we almost got stuck on one trip).

Return to “Milagre Town Square”