Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: Guilty Pleasures and Irrational Irritations

Postby Luet » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:55 pm

I always say I have a pregnancy nose without the pregnancy. I hate 95% of all smells. One of many sensory issues.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:13 pm

But I do love so many smells! Like the first "whiffs" of fall in the mornings , the first puff of diesel smoke out of a well worn John Deere 4020 tractor, the smoky oily caustic blast of AV gas and smoke that belches out of my big radial Prat n Whitney R-985 engines when they wake up n sputter on a September morning, the smell of whatever that stuff Julie washes her hair with and the smell of babies, but not all babies ,and not all of the time.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:35 am

I tend to like detergent, body wash, and shampoo smells. As in, zero is afraid to go down those aisles when we're shopping because I will open everything and sniff at them like an addict.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:44 am

Oh, hey. I came here to write a long, dramatic, bullshit Bob post, but this works just as well.

Guilty Pleasure: I have an enormous crush on this woman I met, but instead of risking rejection by asking her out, I'm riding the dopamine high as long as it lasts and using the drive to impress her to make cool s*** and clean out some of my emotional baggage for my own benefit.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:37 am

The song "Beth" by KISS. Holy f***. "Beth, what can I do?" You can sack up and tell your buddies you're done for the night. You can act like the needs of your wife are, like, up there with your need to have fun with your buddies. You are an a****** and being an a****** to a pretty tune in a slow song doesn't make you less an a******.

No idea why I'm having such strong opinions about this at six thirty in the morning, but here we are.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:31 pm

Once after having been in the shop everynight nearly all night while on a binge trying to finish one of my nutty projects, when I did come in , Julie had that old Kinks song "where is my mind" qued up on the house sterio, she must have hit the remote when I walked in! Kinda the same thing ! I can be such a dope

EnderBowen
Launchie
Launchie

Postby EnderBowen » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:12 am

Guilty Pleasure: Two of them currently - Marriage Boot Camp:Reality Stars (although since they've changed hosts my wife and I aren't as interested in watching) and Charli XCX.

Irrational Irritation: Leaving the toaster plugged in (we have four cats and who knows...) and turning plurals into possessive's...
Have a Blessed Day!
Ender Bowen

Indietronica artist. Husband. Father. Dreamer. Blogger. Success is not a bad word, it's the best one.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:53 pm

I just skipped through to watch all of the best parts of North and South. Seriously my greatest guilty pleasure...

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Tue May 30, 2017 7:12 am

I binged every single episode of Forged in Fire.

Watching people struggle to churn out a work-of-art blade in 3 hours is intense at times.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:53 pm

Satya, I have a forge here in my farm shop. I have made lots of stuff including some knives. I feel fortunate to have all of my great grandfathers huge anvil and atleast 50 tongs and other smith made tools. For several years now I have been looking for a trip hammer so to make some domascus steel knives, someday I hope. We use a forge and basic blacksmithing skills more than ya might think in a farm shop in repairs and fabrication.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Satya, I have a forge here in my farm shop. I have made lots of stuff including some knives. I feel fortunate to have all of my great grandfathers huge anvil and atleast 50 tongs and other smith made tools. For several years now I have been looking for a trip hammer so to make some domascus steel knives, someday I hope. We use a forge and basic blacksmithing skills more than ya might think in a farm shop in repairs and fabrication.
That's awesome. Seeing the show makes it look as cool as it seems, creating something awesome and useful out of a lump.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Guilty Pleasure:

Canadian 70's prog-rock act Max Webster

songs like, "April in Toledo", "Blue River Liquor Shine", ""Here Among the Cats"

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Scented things! (Irritation, not love.) All of a sudden, everyone in my office feels the need to have a scent diffuser! I get the worst headaches and my eyes start watering. Donny can't even burn scented candles in the kitchen in the middle of the night, I'll wake up with a screaming headache and they don't even SMELL good to me anymore, they smell metallic somehow. And I just feel like the world needs to make peace with air not smelling like spearmint or sugar cookies or whatever!
OMG the scents! I had a summer intern this year who was pretty amazing but he wore the strongest body spray.... It didn't smell bad it was just intense and made my eyes burn.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:13 pm

...eating an entire frozen pizza....

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:52 pm

I hope it wasn't frozen when you ate it. :D

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:42 pm

I don't know how irrational, but definitely an irritation: my Michaels stopped carrying glass beads in individual color packets. If I want any, I have to get plastic multi-color kits, with more colors but fewer beads of each color than I want. :grumble:

Also: having to pay late fines on books from my library. Every other place I've worked has waved fines as a staff privilege (and I was considerably better about turning items in then).

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Maybe its not irrational, but I think the lack of self-awareness some people have about how good(well, bad) their memory is.

I mean, its okay if you can't remember something from the last conversation we had. Its even okay if you have a poor memory. But, if I can consistently point out things you do not remember or misremembered, and recite the flow of conversation pretty verbatim, at a certain point you should start taking your memory with a grain of salt. You should probably stop asserting things said, or statements made, with 100% confidence. Right?

Sometimes I get the impression people can't differentiate between what they actually remember saying and what they retroactively reason they must have said in that situation upon looking back on it. Its really weird and annoying. I know I know, memory is tricky mistress. But, I don't think you had to have read through Psych studies to understand the imperfection of memory. Huh. Seems like basic self-awareness to me.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:48 pm

Also: having to pay late fines on books from my library. Every other place I've worked has waved fines as a staff privilege (and I was considerably better about turning items in then).
Just a somewhat relevant anecdote, but my mom told me yesterday that she had like 92 dollars worth of fees on her old library card for the local public library. Apparently she lost a book or two at some point and it just went downhill from there... At this point, she's essentially (mentally) declared a sort of library-bankruptcy on her library card and pretends it doesn't exist.

Of course, she doesn't work there like you and I imagine you don't have 92 dollars worth of late fees lol
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:47 am

Ahahahah EL once had 1000 pounds in library fines, between missing books and late fees. To be fair, this was in amidst the end of a pretty intense pregnancy and the various academic libraries forgave most of the fines when the books were returned and explanations given. It really sucks that your current system charges staff fines, too, though, Alea.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:31 pm

I just kept avoiding my account since it was bothering me to owe anything, and then I realized how much had accumulated/was accumulating from my lack of attention. Mine was $21, which I finally just paid. Bah.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:08 pm

I did a clinic in law school where we helped kids in foster care with their legal-ish issues. One of my clients had a library fine that the library had sent into COLLECTION! It was like, affecting her credit and everything. We got them to forgive the fee by explaining her sob story. It made me realized I should be checking my credit more often.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:40 am

Yeah, not counting my silliness (I just should know better and shouldn't acquire the late fees, since I can see easier than most what my due dates are), late fees and other fines can become a huge barrier to low income families/individuals, because one lost item or one setback can snowball and then they don't want to use libraries anymore. Or they're cut off from service by the library until the fees/fines are paid down. Which is against what we want, as librarians.

Then again, we have to be responsible stewards of taxpayer money, so we can't waive everything, even when people are in a bind, because it means we're out materials or money with no way to cover the lost expense of a missing/damaged item. It's getting so that libraries are trying to budget without counting on fines/fees so heavily, but it's a struggle to properly staff and properly fund as is. When we have to spend staff time tracking down, reordering, or repairing items (if we even have the budget left to do either of the latter two), that's time and money we can't spend on doing other things or having more unique materials.

It's tough and it sucks to be the bad guys when we have to be.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:25 pm

It makes sense, especially when it comes to missing books (that remain missing, that is), even though it sucks. I'm a little shocked at library fees going into collection, though.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:53 pm

I think many people fail to think of library cards as being very similar to credit cards. When people sign up, they agree to terms set forth by the library and again, due to it being a social contract as much as anything (the library agrees to do our best for the community and with their money, the patron should agree to do their best to turn things in the way they borrowed them, on time), it's not always easy or possible for the library to recoup lost items, which equates to lost money. Funding being the huge issue it is, and libraries operating much like schools (based on the communities' property taxes), some libraries can brush off losses to a certain point and be more or less no worse for the wear. Smaller libraries or rural libraries, not so much. After a certain threshold, it becomes even more significant to the library's ability to function.

Now, not for nothing, it's usually (though not always) those in bad financial places in the first place who run into these issues. It is, after all, those least likely to be able to afford the items for themselves who use libraries. And no one wants to cut them off from service or make their lives more difficult. But we're held accountable, too. Enough losses means your library board may cut funding in undesirable places to make up for the loss. Staff or budget for more materials or programming are the first places usually hit. Sometimes hours of operation are cut. It's all one big balancing act that relies on people on all sides doing their best.

So yeah. Lose $200 worth of stuff, I think it's more fair than not to take actions to get stuff back (preferably just the materials). Being sent to collection, at least in the libraries I've worked for, happens after months of failed efforts and/or contact. We will absolutely work with patrons who come forward and say they lost or damaged items, or had some emergency prevent them from returning items, but they have to be willing to talk to us about it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:43 pm

Irrational irritation: People who specifically mention they are aware I sent them information before but ask me to resend it instead of doing a keyword search to find it themselves.

Irrational Irritation: Trying to get help from certain, specific people at work. I know it's just going to make me more annoyed than if I don't ask them at all but I'm directed to do so by a supervisor, so I do it to say it's been done.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”