Doctor Who (yarr, there be spoilers here!)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Re: Doctor Who (yarr, there be spoilers here!)

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:51 pm

So, I have a LOT of free time at work on Saturdays and i've started watching Doctor Who. I'm six episodes in with the 9th Doctor and i'm loving it so far.
It's kind of nice to be paid while watching this show.
Savor it while you can! He's fantastic!
And that Doomsday video you posted had me crying all over again.

Though I have to say I cried more at the end of Journey's End. What happened there affected me much more than what happened with the Doctor and Rose in Doomsday.
Journeys End and Doomsday both have me crying, every time.

Anyone else started this spring's run of episodes?
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:29 am

I'm watching them! I liked the first and third better than the second. Looking forward to the finale, "The Name of the Doctor"!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:16 am

I've only gotten as far as the Christmas special and prequel to Bells. I haven't watched any of the Season 7 Part 2 episodes yet.

But the comments on the Doctor Who FB page announcement of the last episode are amusing.

I don't believe for one minute that they are going to reveal the Doctor's name.
Pweb member since 2000

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:34 am

I've only gotten as far as the Christmas special and prequel to Bells. I haven't watched any of the Season 7 Part 2 episodes yet.

But the comments on the Doctor Who FB page announcement of the last episode are amusing.

I don't believe for one minute that they are going to reveal the Doctor's name.

There was a plan to do something similar back before it got cancelled the first time around, and at least some of the episodes leading up to it were produced (and most of the remainder was novelized as "Lungbarrow"). IIRC, the "Cartmel Masterplan" was going to reveal the Doctor as a reincarnation of "The Other", one of the three founders of Time Lord society (alongside Rassilon and Omega).
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:07 am

Interesting, elfprince.

The classic Doctor Who episode "The Three Doctors" definitely gives the impression that the Doctor is not your run-of-the-mill garden variety Time Lord. :)
Pweb member since 2000

Borommakot_15
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Borommakot_15 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:22 pm

Saw this thread, and thought I would mention that I just started watching Dr. Who a month or so ago.. I think I'm on Season 3, Episode 5 or something by now..

No, I'm not reading the rest of the thread.. spoiler warning IS in the title, after all. =)

~Dan
PWeb 2.0 Join Date:
October 19 2002, 08:01

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:54 pm

Enjoy!

And, yeah, there are definitely loads of spoilers in this thread. It's fun to read the comments once you're caught up, though.
Pweb member since 2000

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Offtopic, but Elfprince, can you make your sig shorter? It's so long I've noticed I'm forced to scroll side to side in any thread you have posted in.

Thanks!
Pweb member since 2000

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:25 pm

Offtopic, but Elfprince, can you make your sig shorter? It's so long I've noticed I'm forced to scroll side to side in any thread you have posted in.

Thanks!

oopsy daisy! I need to see if Last.fm has a way to clip it to a certain size. For now, I'm just playing some music with a shorter artist name :)

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks!

oopsy daisy! I need to see if Last.fm has a way to clip it to a certain size. For now, I'm just playing some music with a shorter artist name :)
Well, whatever you did, it's better now. Thanks! :)
Pweb member since 2000

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:49 pm

Savor it while you can! He's fantastic!
I'm three episodes in with Tennant and I miss Eccleston. I have absolutely nothing against Tennant, and i'm falling in love with him in his own way, but I really wish Eccleston had more then the one season. He was fantastic!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Sun May 19, 2013 7:43 am

Wow. That was certainly a game-changer of a Season Finale. Amazing stuff, and explains why the creators haven't given in and shown the fans something perceived to be missing they'd all wanted to see...

The only good thing about the wait until the 50th Anniversary in November is that it gives me more time to get caught up on some Classic Who (I'm up to the Third Doctor now. Love him!)

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Sun May 19, 2013 2:03 pm

I think the last Dr episode had Tom Baker in it , I just watched a new one "the rings of something or other" and it was awsome! Guessing I've been missing out!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sun May 19, 2013 4:55 pm

I think the last Dr episode had Tom Baker in it , I just watched a new one "the rings of something or other" and it was awsome! Guessing I've been missing out!
Just re-watched that one with my family. Lots of fun, though not my favorite of the new stuff. The one after that (Cold War) is absolutely delightful.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Sun May 19, 2013 7:57 pm

SPOILERS from the finale

So, are we all fairly confident John Hurt exists in the Doctor's personal past? I mean, he could be the "12th" Doctor, but it seems quite likely that he's more like the 8.5th Doctor.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:01 pm

SPOILERS from the finale

So, are we all fairly confident John Hurt exists in the Doctor's personal past? I mean, he could be the "12th" Doctor, but it seems quite likely that he's more like the 8.5th Doctor.

errm, Valeyard? I wouldn't be totally shocked if it's not that, but I'd definitely be at least slightly taken aback.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:23 pm

So, i'm not really reading things in this thread because i'm only up to season three, but I absolutely hate not having anyone see what i'm seeing for the first time with me! Rose is gone and it's horribly sad and I have no one to really talk with it about! Just, ugh... I'm four episodes into season three and I really miss Rose!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:27 pm

So, i'm not really reading things in this thread because i'm only up to season three, but I absolutely hate not having anyone see what i'm seeing for the first time with me! Rose is gone and it's horribly sad and I have no one to really talk with it about! Just, ugh... I'm four episodes into season three and I really miss Rose!
:grouphug:

We know your pain!

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Mon May 20, 2013 3:29 am

On the season finale - I liked it. I enjoyed it more than most of the other episodes in season seven and have hopes that the writing'll pick up, but it looks to get VERY much darker, so yeah... darker hues indeed.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Mon May 20, 2013 8:11 am

SEASON 7 FINALE SPOILERS

It looks like they're going to grapple full-on with 11's grappling with what appears to be the inevitability of becoming the Valeyard. It Looks like Hurt's Ex-Doctor (Doctor X? :) ) shows that its a stark reality, because something like it has happened before.

Also, when it comes to simple fanservice, I really, really hope we get to see some scenes with Paul McGann's Doc8 leading up to and including his regeneration into DocX at some point. I think it would be a long shot to get to see DocX regen into Eccleston's Doc9. But that would be, to use a phrase of Doc9, "Fantastic."

LOVED the scene of Doc1 stealing the malfunctioning Tardis that began the episode.

I will note that we still haven't seen most of the prophecied events on Trenzalore, which probably are what lead to the battle resulting in the Doctor's Tomb. And that includes the time when River learns the Doctor's Name. The way the Tardis looked makes me think this isn't some way future Doctor - it is either the current incarnation - 11, or the next, the Valeyard. We still don't know those circumstances (the Doctor's apparant whispering of his name to River at his wedding was, we learned, one of those places where, "The Doctor Lies".)

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Mon May 20, 2013 8:30 am

The break until the 50th gives me a great opportunity to catch up on Classic Docs. While there's some great and imortant episodes, there's also a lot of... drawn out tediousness in the early days. I'm making a list of 'must see' episodes for those interested in checking out important or fun developments in the history of the Doctor, and will include updates on my list from time to time.

Here's my thoughts so far on shows I'd definitely recommend:

First Doctor
An Unearthly Child - The Very first story! While it might be fun to watch the entire serial, Part 1 is the most important to see the introduction of the Doctor, his granddaughter Susan, and Ian and Barbara.

The Daleks - The second story is the first for the Daleks! The entire serial is wonderful. Watch it all!

Dalek Invasion of Earth - Also very good, an important continuity point, and features a poignant moment for the Doctor and Susan, his famous "Some day, I will come back" speech.

The Romans - Okay, not much important happens here continuity wise, but the episode is (intentionally) hilarious!

The Ark - Good storytelling, good mystery, and good use of Time!

The Tenth Planet - About to be released with animation filling in the 'lost episodes'. Not only does this introduce the Cybermen, but features the Doctor's First Regeneration. The cybermen are very different than the modern ones, but SUPER creepy!

Second Doctor
Tomb of the Cybermen - Good sample of Second Doctor and dynamic with companion Jamie. Plus Cybermen!
Web of Fear - If you can find parts to watch, it features the Great Intelligence, and the introduction of Lethbridge-Stewart.

The Invasion - More Cybermen! The beginnings of UNIT! The Brigadier! Somewhat slow moving story, but some important elements. And a VERY creepy human villain!

The Seeds of Death - Ice Warriors!

The War Games - A very long 10 part serial. If you're looking for a drive-by, just cut to the final episode or two, which features the introduction of the Time Lords as a people, explains why the Doctor sole the Tardis and ran away, and finds himself penalized, forced to regenerate, and exiled to earth.

Third Doctor
Spearhead from Space - Color! This episode is awesome. For fun, watch this back to back with the revival series' S1E1, "ROSE". There are a ton of parallels.

The Silurians - Intro to the Silurians! Back before we learned that every face we saw of theirs was really a mask hiding humanoid features, a la Vastra.

I've just begun Season 8, which introduces The Master... more reports and suggestions later.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Mon May 20, 2013 1:43 pm

Dave, are you finding all these old episodes on the site you told me about?

And my reaction to the Season 7 finale: WHAT???!!! :shock:
Pweb member since 2000

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Mon May 20, 2013 2:06 pm

I'm so far behind it's not funny... I think I've only seen the first episode of this season :(
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Mon May 20, 2013 2:23 pm

Just think, you have all that to look forward to, Kenn.

I have re-watching back episodes (and Classic Who) to look forward to. :)
Pweb member since 2000

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Tue May 21, 2013 10:37 am

First Doctor
An Unearthly Child - The Very first story! While it might be fun to watch the entire serial, Part 1 is the most important to see the introduction of the Doctor, his granddaughter Susan, and Ian and Barbara.
I watched all 4 parts of this one last night. Fun story, but oh the stereotypes! :P
Pweb member since 2000

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Fri May 24, 2013 5:28 am

I have An Unearthly Child on video (yes, 16-year-old owns VHS) and it's been AGES since I watched it. My mates and I welcomed in season seven with TARDIS biscuits and watching the original Dalek 7-parter. Fun times...
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Vitaly Kolmogorov
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Vitaly Kolmogorov » Fri May 24, 2013 5:29 pm

SHAT MY PANTS!

A whovian forum on an EG website... I didn't think nerdology got this amazeballs!

thats all, love to see what everyone has to say. LOVE who, im a hardcore, long-time fanboy. Stoked to be here!

p.s. i've been trying to catch up on Classics, I find it Very hard to watch sometimes it goes SOOOO SLOOOOOW its a good way to see our audiences have a shortening attention span :s
Vitaly Kolmogorov
GovAct%ShakespeareCol@colmin.gov :stamp:

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Sat May 25, 2013 11:39 pm

Working my way through Classic Who. I'm up to The Reign of Terror.
Pweb member since 2000

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:33 am

Just bought a pile of classic Who because FYE was having a sale on used DVDs. Got The Time Warrior, The Caves of Androzani, and Pyramids of Mars for $23.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Sun May 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Wow, that was a good sale!

Though, even at that price one can spend a fortune on Doctor Who episodes.

I'm watching The Dalek Invasion of Earth now.

This line from the episode amused me: "Obey motorised dustbins? We'll see."
Pweb member since 2000

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sun May 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Hehe, I did enjoy that line, even put in the middle of the Dalek Invasion movie with Peter Cushing... I didn't like the movie as a whole...

Also, that is a fantastic price for DVDs and Who at that, but there are sooo many of them - I really need to expand my own collection.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:00 pm

I watched "Stolen Earth" while at work yesterday and almost completely broke down when The Doctor saw Rose... Had to hold off on "Journey's End" until I got home because I knew I couldn't cry that much at work.

Just ughhh, I don't even know what i'm feeling. There are a couple of more episodes left in the season, and I know what's coming : (

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Have you watched "Journey's End" yet? That was an emotional roller coaster, to say the least.

I just watched Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead again, from Season 4. To be more accurate, I just flipped through to watch the moments with River and the Doctor. The ending of Forest of the Dead had a heavy impact the first time I saw it, and now, after actually seeing the relationship between River and the Doctor develop, set me bawling.
Oh, man, I've been doing a bit of this myself. I actually watched that whole double episode last week. Hits you differently when you know what's coming.

Also, been thinking a bit about what The Eleventh Doctor says at the end of "Flesh and Stone" and wondering what exactly the Doctor meant by it:
After they climb out of the Byzantium and after the Doctor has that short exchange with River before she is beamed up to the prison ship, Amy asks the Doctor: "What are you thinking?" And the Doctor replies with this kind of self-satisfied smile: "Time can be rewritten."

I started thinking about it cause it's been brought up in several recent articles I've read and I'm wondering now what he thought, at that point in time, could be re-written. (Or what he wanted to see re-written.)
Pweb member since 2000

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Have you watched "Journey's End" yet? That was an emotional roller coaster, to say the least.
Just watched "Journey's End" and you're completely right about it being an emotion roller coaster. I knew what was coming, but it still hit me pretty hard. I loved it though, and i'm thinking of re watching it before I dive into the next season/Doctor (and I have to admit, i'm totally intrigued with the new Doctor).

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:12 pm

I did a lot of re-watching before moving on myself.

I'm a very big David Tennant fan, but I also love Eleven. Hope they do as well casting the next Doctor as they did with Nine, Ten and Eleven.
Pweb member since 2000

Return to “Milagre Town Square”