Doctor Who (yarr, there be spoilers here!)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Re: Doctor Who (yarr, there be spoilers here!)

Postby Taalcon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:44 pm

I just stumbled upon this video/extended DVD scene bridging the moments between the end of Eleventh Hour and The Beast Below, where Amy Pon questions the Doctor about everything, and has some choice words about his choice of a Bowtie. Fun!

If it's already been linked here, forgive me!

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:42 pm

Well, we plowed through Series Five. Really enjoyed it.

While at first I questioned it, now I like that 11 has different theme music associated with him than 10. I loved 10's music, but I associate it so strongly with him. Plus, The End of Time also gave him such a wonderful musical send-off, it would sort of be a shame to have to try to compete with that. Plus, it's also appropriate for 10's "Song to come to an end".

Plus, I find 11's music LOTS of fun.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:01 pm

Sh*t doctor Who Fans Say:

I know I've arrived, because I get 98% of this.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:51 am

Finally up to date! Finished Series 6 last night, as well as the Doctor, Widow, and Wardrobe.

Now I have to wait for more new Who like the rest of y'all. How sad.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:29 pm

Just saw "The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe" last weekend and I agree with most people that it was just "meh" as far as DW episodes go. I wasn't a huge fan of series 6 in general, the story arc just didn't seem that plausible to me and I didn't really like the finale, and most of the individual episodes were just kind of "meh" to me.

However, this season also had "The Doctor's Wife" in it, which is, easily, my favorite episode of Doctor Who ever. I would say that this single episode redeems the entirety of series 6, but since it had originally been intended to be part of series 5 and could easily be lifted up out of series 6 and plopped down in series 5 (or just about anywhere, save for character changes), I can't really bring myself to say that. Great episode (as if I had any doubt that I wouldn't absolutely love NG's episode).

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:41 am

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:30 pm

While waiting for the new stuff I've taken to watching DW repeats on Iview, not owning many DW DVDs (can't think why this is the case) but I don't see how he Doctor's Wife redeems series 6, I mean, it's a great episode but the whole lot? My favourite episodes include School Reunion, The Empty Child and Blink.

I also recently started Torchwood The Children of Earth... pretty cool stuff.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:28 pm

I can't believe people haven't posted these yet - Series 7 is right around the corner!

And the trailer:

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:59 pm

Buzzing with excitement/caffeine!

I got a Dalek t-shirt for my 16th. I've got 11 t-shirts now, I think.
I also got season 1 of Torchwood but discs 2 and 3 (at least!) are scratched, so we'll have to get it replaced.

[edit] Okay, quick edit here. Ten seconds after I post this I find out there's a freakin' PERCEPTION FILTER operating in this library. I've been at this school for 3.5 years now and only just discover there's an upstairs area of the library, one that can't be seen from outside.
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:40 am

Haha! ABC iView is unblocked at school and my free periods are just long enough to happily watch a Doctor Who episode. Oh the joys of finishing all homework in class.

I also got my Torchwood replaced :). My brother told me Jack and Ianto kiss, but I couldn't see it very well :(.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:16 am

HAHA! Just saw an add with a date for the new season's beginning. It'll probably come out everywhere before it hits the screens here (on September 8th) but I am freakin' pumped!

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Countdown to the season launch this Saturday, with The Pond Life!

Part 1

Part 2

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:22 pm

I am definitely amongst those who can't wait... and am glad to have someone in the family who subscribes to Comcast so I can log on to see bbc america :)
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:48 pm

Ha. Learned last night that, just because it's Doctor Who and the new season and so on, the ABC catch-up site will be putting ep1 up after it airs on BBC, which means I get to see it a week earlier! I don't think I'll tell my brother though, he'll be on a holiday weekend and going NUTS for missing the first episode!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:16 pm

I'm going to a Doctor Who party tomorrow night before the premiere. Fish fingers and custard, dalek shaped cookies and I'm bringing the makings for a sonic screwdriver drink! I wish I had something Who-related to wear...
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:17 am

WOW. AWESOME.

Spoilery Speculation below:
Amazing job keeping Jenna's appearance in this ep a super-secret! That was awesome!

Notice how she looks into the Camera and says, 'Remember'?
Perhaps the Dalek nano-bots did infilitrate the Doctor after all, and Oswin reprogrammed their memory to have her in them. How interesting would it be if the Doctor's next companion begins not physically there with him, but in his mind, like a conscience of sorts. A split personality. We would see her, as the doctor would see her, but she wouldn't physically be there.

And oh, wouldn't River hate that? Having another woman in the Doctor's head?

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:03 pm

WHOOOOO-WOOO! Just watched the new episode, AMAZING!!!!

Man, I loved every minute of that. Thing is, it hasn't aired on the ABC yet and so I'm going to get a bunch of my Whovian friends together to watch it, I hope. Luckily, I recently turned 16 and got a Dalek shirt, so I've got something Who-related to wear. I think we shall indeed have fish fingers and custard there (have any of you tried it before? It's awesome) amongst other things.

I remember for my 10th birthday I had a Dalek cake, not just a Dalek-prism type thing, but a 3D model with jaffas for bumps and everything. We might have to make another for this premierre.

About the episode, though... wiping the memory of the Doctor from the Daleks' minds? Seriously, that is just nuts. That's completely crazy... I wonder how it'll be restored because that is NOT the end of the Daleks. It crossed my mind when Oswin said she'd hacked the Dalek path-web and the Doctor said that even he couldn't do it, it crossed my mind that she might be a reincarnation of Jenny, his daughter, using another name for some reason.

There was something visual that I don't get in the scene with Rory and the 'eggs' Dalek, what was going on there?

[edit] Oh, and what you said about River getting ticked off by another woman being in the Doctor's head. I think that's right, Jane certainly seemed to tick Novinha off and she wasn't even in Ender's mind, directly.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:10 am

Loved DINOSAURS ON A SPACESHIP. Loved Rory's dad.

Hey, where are all our Whovians?

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:09 pm

<< whovian who hasn't seen the last who... but looking forward to it!
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:18 am

Here! Here! I didn't watch it till last night.

The dinosaurs were a bit silly, but totally Doctor Who, so I loved them. It seems like there's some seeds being planted here for the future - one being the Doctor as an "unknown". Solomon's machine scanned him and he wasn't findable - so it seems like Dalek chick (name? Does she have one?) erased him not only from the Dalek's memory, but from all record or something. Secondly - Rory and Amy are ready to go. We know already that they aren't going to be the companions forever, but it's now obvious within the show that they're ready to stop traveling.

LOVED that Rory's dad was Arthur Weasley.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:32 pm

Here! Here! I didn't watch it till last night.

The dinosaurs were a bit silly, but totally Doctor Who, so I loved them. It seems like there's some seeds being planted here for the future - one being the Doctor as an "unknown". Solomon's machine scanned him and he wasn't findable - so it seems like Dalek chick (name? Does she have one?) erased him not only from the Dalek's memory, but from all record or something. Secondly - Rory and Amy are ready to go. We know already that they aren't going to be the companions forever, but it's now obvious within the show that they're ready to stop traveling.

LOVED that Rory's dad was Arthur Weasley.
'Dalek Chick' is Oswin Oswald. Played by the same actress widely announced and publicized to be the Doctor's New Companion, Clara Oswald, to be introduced in the Christmas special. They kept her appearance in Asylum a BIG secret.

Oswin's last word , as she looked at the camera, was, "Remember."

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:56 pm

I really loved how Ror's dad was played.

I was a tad dismayed that the dinosaurs which looked to be velociraptors were far closer to the Jurassic Park height than to reality.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:45 pm

I've only seen half of DoaS, but it seemed great!

My Who-party (actually just two mates and myself) went well, as well as Asylum we watched copious amounts of Who, mainly the original Dalek episodes which we enjoyed mocking the hell out of.

Something I really want to be in this series, CAPTAIN JACK'S REAPPEARANCE. He has to come back and hopefully in tandem with River, that'd be awesome. I don't really visit too many Who forums for some reason and so I don't know much of the latest news. Anything in there to (en/dis)courage this hope?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:28 pm

I find it way too funny that my 9yo niece is throwing a temper tantrum (with tears and all) because she wants an overpriced Supreme Dalek toy. I love that I turned her into a Whovian!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:48 pm

Something I really want to be in this series, CAPTAIN JACK'S REAPPEARANCE.
It seems really unlikely that Captain Jack will be back, since he was a companion of ten, not eleven. Before ten regenerated, he said good-bye to all those companions and I think it was pretty final.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Dang, Jack's awesome.

But congratulations on turning your niece Whovian, Luet. Whoooh, new converts!
My VT's 4yo daughter is recently turned Whovian too and apparently asking every night if Doctor Who will be on.

Oh, something I'd like clarified: Maybe I just didn't see something on screen that alters this, but it seemed to me that in "Dinosaurs On A Spaceship" the Doctor not only set up the conditions for Solomen's death but then sat by and let it happen. Seriously, the DOCTOR did that? Did I miss something?

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:33 pm

So... that's it, eh?

Honestly, I think that Rory and Amy leaving would have had an emotional impact if it weren't for spoilers. I hate that it was everywhere online that this was their last episode. It made me not care nearly as much when they left. It was sad and all, but... I don't know. I was left unsatisfied.
I still love the show, and I loved this episode... it's just... meh. That's that.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:26 am

I'm careful to avoid reading stuff about episodes I haven't seen on the internet and so Amy's and Rory's departure had the full impact on me. There's something to do with the chronology that I want to know:
In that place the Angels built, did they zap you back and then let you catch up and zap again, or did the past version of them zap you even further back so that to an Angel, it looked as if they were zapping progressively younger versions of you? If this is unclearly put, please say so.

Hee-hee-hee, baby angels...

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:22 pm

I just watched Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead again, from Season 4. To be more accurate, I just flipped through to watch the moments with River and the Doctor. The ending of Forest of the Dead had a heavy impact the first time I saw it, and now, after actually seeing the relationship between River and the Doctor develop, set me bawling.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:37 pm

Mmmmm.... I agree that that scene has a different and greater impact when watched in retraspect.

I'm sorry to bring this up, but I'm a ranter and quite annoyed and so I will: It's as if I'm CURSED. Every box set of discs I've bought/received in the past two months (Torchwood 1, Player One and Torchwood 2) have all had at least one scratched disc. I've mentioned the first Torchwood being scratched on here before, but when I get enough money to go and get myself the second season (after a huge c'fuffle, I might add)... BANG! Another scratch. Why does it keep happening?

Sorry 'bout that, back to the Library scene...

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Taalcon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:54 pm

The Snowmen was SO much fun. Since the beginning of Season 7, we've been having little Doctor Who Parties. I've gotten my wife's siblings hooked, and 'cause they live just 20 minutes away, we get a house full of Who fans - including my almost-3-year-old daughter, who LOVES Doctor Who. And the Daleks. (she does a mean 'EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!' Dalek impression!)

Also, I've since started binging on classic Who - and am almost through the First Doctor years. While many stories are overly silly, or tediously long, there's some awesome gems in there. Really enjoying Hartnell's Doctor, and seeing the first glimpses of ideas that were later expanded upon and became essential elements of the mythos.

And if you haven't seen this fan 50th Anniversary Tribute, then watch it now. If you have seen it, watch it again! It's that freakin' good:

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:09 am

I don't remember if I mentioned this elsewhere, but I really enjoyed the Sarah Jane Adventures.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:20 pm

Just popping in here to say that my daughter sucked me into her Doctor Who obsession. :P

She has only been trying since last spring. ;)

She got me to watch a few episodes of Season 1 when she was here for a visit in the spring, and I kept meaning to continue but never seemed to have the time.

What got me really watching recently was a get together last month with some internet folks. She and a friend planned to dress up as the Ninth and Tenth Doctors for the get together, and eventually I decided to dress up as the Fourth Doctor (cause I have curly hair). So I started watching some classic Doctor Who from the beginning (only what's available on Netflix, which skips a lot). I've been skipping back and forth between classic Doctor Who and the current Doctor Who. I'm still in the middle of Fourth Doctor episodes - they're the right length for me to watch an episode during my lunch break at work, but I don't always get a proper lunch break.

I'm partway through Season 5 with Matt Smith, so haven't read everything on the last page of this thread for fear of spoilers. :)

Taalcon, if you are still reading, I love your remarks about the Tennant episodes.

And that Doomsday video you posted had me crying all over again.

Though I have to say I cried more at the end of Journey's End. What happened there affected me much more than what happened with the Doctor and Rose in Doomsday.

The last few Tennant episodes were just so sad for me, as he seemed more alone than ever.

I really enjoyed the Ninth Doctor episodes and had mixed feelings when he regenerated to Ten. But I have to say I am a full-blown Tennant fan at this point.
Pweb member since 2000

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:58 pm

I just watched Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead again, from Season 4. To be more accurate, I just flipped through to watch the moments with River and the Doctor. The ending of Forest of the Dead had a heavy impact the first time I saw it, and now, after actually seeing the relationship between River and the Doctor develop, set me bawling.
Have you seen this?

The end of that kind of got to me, too.
Pweb member since 2000

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:24 pm

So, I have a LOT of free time at work on Saturdays and i've started watching Doctor Who. I'm six episodes in with the 9th Doctor and i'm loving it so far.

It's kind of nice to be paid while watching this show.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”