Cause Workin' Out is 'fun' to do...

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: Cause Workin' Out is 'fun' to do...

Postby Luet » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:56 pm

Well, that didn't work. I got too depressed to go. Stupid dumb stupid.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:44 pm

30 more minutes on the Nordic Track tonight..I've got to get myself in shape for an insane "Field Installation" project--10 hours/day for the next 25+ days....

And I'm no spring :chicken:
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:54 pm

It's crazy how my endurance sneaks up on me.

A year ago I could barely run a mile before almost collapsing, taking my shoes off in the elevator because I was so dang hot. A few months after I started I squeezed lifting in beforehand, and am normally still really tired, but not dead, after the mile run. Today I skipped lifting due to the time constraint, and was well into my third mile before I realized I had been slacking on watching the clock and needed to quit. But I could have gone way more.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Worked out three days in a row with my Walk Away the Pounds three mile DVD. I like it because it truly makes me sweat, but is, like, the least threatening, least insecurity-raising DVD I've found. Proud that I've stopped letting being tired and having Atty at home get in the way. (Though, I admit, Atty gets BORED the last ten, minutes or so, and that's hard.)

I'd forgotten how good endorphins feel. And, even though my body/weight hasn't changed (yet), it's nice to no longer feel so mad/frustrated about it.

I never thought my pre-baby body was much to brag about, but I do miss it. It's hard not to notice how differently it moves/feels thirty pounds heavier. But then endorphins kick in and I don't mind as much.

Anyhow. Hoping I keep it up.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Good luck keeping the streak alive; I know how hard that can be and that's without a baby to worry about.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks!

Yesterday I went to our apartment's workout room and did 40ish minutes on the elliptical. I enjoyed it - in part because I didn't have to try to entertain Atty and work out at the same time.

Today, I did a briefer but more difficult DVD. Twenty minutes cardio and then it has four different strength training things you can pick from. The BIG plus is twenty minutes is about exactly how long Atty can handle being in a highchair or saucer or whatever before he wants to get down and play, and I can put him on the floor for the strength training without worrying about stepping on him. The bad news is the ab routine I tried today is way advanced for me. About three minutes in I noticed Atty had the DVD remote. I let him keep it for the first time ever, hoping he'd accidentally turn the damn thing off. No such luck. Anyhow, I did my best, but my upper back hurts and I think I'll find some easier ab exercises to do on my own for awhile. I miss an old VHS I had which had a pilates-ish workout at the end that was just the right level of frustrating for me. But I'll keep trying the other workout options - it was probably not smart to start with abs.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Been working out consistently five days a week! Lots of elliptical now that Donny is home. Go me!
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the chunky town thread but I found this first.

I joined the gym and have been going every other day for the last eight days. I am there for about 60-80 minutes. Walk for an hour (3.2mph at a 3* incline). A few minutes of elliptical (I am trying to build up endurance but my thighs are wicked weak). And a quick round of the weight machines.

I also started back up at zumba for the last few weeks, once a week. Plus on a lot my non-gym days I'm walking for a couple hours, at a slow pace, while birding.

None of my summer pants fit me. I'm going shopping tomorrow to reward myself for all the exercising.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:28 pm

I figured out that in order to go to the gym after work, I need to throw my workout clothes in the car and go right after work. If I go home to change, I never make it back out the door. :P

Bonus: When I do go to the gym right after work, I have more energy in the evening than when I just go home from work and crash.

Been doing Weight Watchers, lost 10 lbs, gained some back, stalled at the same weight for a while, but it looks like I'm starting to lose again, with some adjustments to my diet and exercise patterns.
Pweb member since 2000

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:38 pm

My abs are sorer today than they've been in a long time. The cause? Picking blackberries bare-foot with shorts and a t-shirt while trying not to get pricked. It's like yoga where you get flogged for messing up ;)
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:14 am

zero and I had started running last fall, then stopped during the winter (at first because I was afraid of icy sidewalks and then because, well, I'm a wimp who doesn't want to run in anything under 40 degrees) and didn't start up again until I got out of school's spring session in May. We changed tactics from going for increased mileage (only ever made it to three miles) running twice or so a week to a flat timed run multiple times a week, as schedules allow. Just yesterday, we added intervals, which made my lungs scream out in agony and had me sounding like a wheezy asthmatic for an hour or so after we finished.

Currently in the process of tuning my bike after it sat for two and a half years unused, a lot of that time out in the AZ sun.

I don't feel more energized from the increase in exercise but I do seem to have fewer issues with the depression getting bad. All in all, I find exercise kind of annoying until after I've done it, at which point it seems almost fun and definitely not as bad as I thought it would be.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:56 am

*dusts off thread*

*sneezes*

*blinks*

Okay. Well. It's been awhile.

So, while I've been in North Dakota, I've been doing pretty good at walking/running in the spring and summer. Ran a couple of 10Ks a couple of years ago, a 5k last year. (By run, I mean walked. And ran. Both those things.) Last year, late in the summer, I realized that I actually LIKED getting up and going out running right away, early morning. I was almost to the point I could run a mile without stopping when winter happened and dark happened and getting up and going out and doing it quit being feasible.

And I've been MEANING to get back to it all spring, but... cold. Tired. Atticus wanting snuggles. All that. But a couple of days ago, I woke up and no one else was awake and it was bright and sunny and I was like, "Kirsten, if you are ever going to get started on this, today is your day." So, I got out and walked and ran on the bike path, a couple of miles all together. More walking than I had to do last year, but I figure it won't take too long to get back into it.

And then my boss called me with a Surprise! Crisis intake for the third week in a row and I was feeling SUPER crabby and I went outside and Donny started yelling at me from the balcony to look at something in the garage and I was honestly afraid that something had happened to the car and it took me awhile to figure out that he was telling me to look next to the car, where I found my bike, where it always is and he was like, "No, go LOOK at it."

New chain. Tires inflated. Surprise!

I have not regularly ridden my bike since 2008. And I have missed it. Oh my gosh, I have missed it. Got up yesterday, it was the perfect day for it, and I just felt like I was flying. Went out today and had a great time, too, even though it was windier.

I think I'll still keep trying to do the running thing a couple of times a week. I have actually learned to enjoy it over the past few years. But biking. I love biking. I love it so much. Happiest I've been for quite some time.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:39 pm

:mrgreen:

Donny is awesome! I'm pretty sure I loved the idea of biking but hated actually doing it until I heard Ali talking about it in a pretty similar way.

Also, super impressed by the 5 and 10ks. :bow: I've only done one 5k, ever.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:33 am

Donny really knows how to show true love. That is one awesome guy.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:12 am

He is! :love:

I've biked about 70 miles since he got it for me. I'm not getting out daily, but around every other day, before work. It is the actual best. Very free. Me, the bike path, some geese, ducks, and a bazillion rabbits. And a few other ambitious souls.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:45 am

Its funny. When I think back, I was part of this forum when I was super skinny (like starving African child skinny--I'm Nigerian first generation in America, so I'm allowed to make those jokes, eh?) and insecure about my body/weight.

Now I'm secure enough in how I look that my friends/people laugh at me when I tell them I only workout once a week... Yet, I just tried maxing for the first time in about 3 years on benching, and I put up 275. "You could get so much stronger! You could get more cut!" they say. "I don't care...I'm just trying to maintain the same size I've had the past 3 years." ; ) < I don't actually wink when I say that, but I'll throw in a wink next time.

Nonetheless, since I grew up skinny, being strong/muscular isn't in my self-concept. I don't consider myself strong. I don't act like I'm strong. I will always be that skinny guy that I was on this forum in my mind.....except, completely satisfied in how I look. Until I get dad-bod, at least.

I should go look back on my old posts for a laugh...Its kind of like opening a time capsule lol
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:13 pm

I bought a jump rope. I have my bikes. I have in-line skates I don't really know how to use.

I really hate exercise these days and it's super obvious.

I'm exhausted and know exercise would help, but I have no motivation.

I've been looking for an online community that would be the perfect blend of supportive, non-judgmental, but also firm in expectations. I haven't found it yet and I also don't want to have exercise/weight loss become my life. Just a natural part of it.

Bah.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:48 pm

I hear you on wanting exercise to just be a natural part of life, rather than a focal point. I'm kind of hoping that when the school year picks up I'll ride my bicycle more (because I suck at getting up on time to get the kids out the door on time for school). I keep meaning to just take along the path by our house and it keeps not happening, which means I constantly feel out of shape when I do actually manage it. I've been far too inactive since moving back to Canada...
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:23 pm

I'm cheering you on! Good luck. :)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Started running again, mostly, sort of. I've gone a few times in the past week, so I'm counting that.

My first run was only 3 minutes faster than my slowest run ever at that distance, which is not good. But I suppose it says something that it wasn't as bad or worse despite all my lack of exercise. The latest run was 2 minutes faster than the first, which is crazy (and unsustainable) for the time frame. Still, I'll take it.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:04 am

You did it, though! And even that on its own is a success!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:12 pm

studying fitness in college and i realize that, like a doctor is usually their own worst patient, as a trainer i am my own worst client
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:56 pm

As a librarian, I'm my best reader. :D

25 seconds shaved off from the last run 4 days ago. 1.5 minutes to go before I match my time from my prime running days 14 years ago. That's not saying terribly much, I was never the fastest. Just steady/consistent.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:52 pm

zero is trying to discourage my beating myself up if I don't improve my time from week to week, so he's stopped telling me what he tracks. BUT, I listen to music when I run and if I'm not making a mistake with the math of that, I think I may be just a minute away from matching my best time.

I am cautiously optimistic and proud of myself.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:22 pm

I got within 20 seconds of my best time! I also went back to a minute away on my latest run, but improvement is happening. :dance:

Just in time for it to start getting really cold out. :grumble:

Return to “Milagre Town Square”