Complete Randomness

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:17 am

I noticed your absence and *gasp* missed you and all your nonsense. If you had some IM way to be reached, I would have harassed you there.
What's with you and wanting to harass people now? Not that you're a bad person to be harassed by, but still. :P

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:05 am

Oh, well, I guess I'm glad someone missed me while I was gone. Haha, I can't imagine you harassing anybody, Alea. :) (it feels weird using your name...)
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:34 am

I still feel like a little kid who is trying to fit in with the grown ups, and that I don't really belong here...
I second that (referring to myself, of course, not you).
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:37 am

You've still been here longer than me.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:19 pm

I noticed your absence and *gasp* missed you and all your nonsense. If you had some IM way to be reached, I would have harassed you there.
What's with you and wanting to harass people now?
What's with you not wanting to let me harass you and/or others? :P

No, it's really a matter of there being a new or soon to be new vacancy -my current...former? transitioning harassee doesn't have the time for the position, so lucky you all get even more of me. Yikes.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:25 pm

What's with you not wanting to let me harass you and/or others? :P
Nothing at all. I just wish you'd follow through on your promise.
No, it's really a matter of there being a new or soon to be new vacancy -my current...former? transitioning harassee doesn't have the time for the position, so lucky you all get even more of me. Yikes.
See above.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:59 pm

I just wish you'd follow through on your promise.
Excuse you, who the hell hung up on me the other night? Hmm? YOU. When I was harassing you. (Do you remember what is was about even?)

I may not harass over IM so much but I've called something like 4 or 5 Pwebbers in the past 2 weeks, which is up from 1 I regularly called for months before that.

And don't even get me started on how I spend entirely way too much time on Pweb itself and how I don't ever show restraint, even when I absolutely should. Don't follow through on harassing, my arse.

PFFFT!

:D

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:02 pm

Man, I almost want to take off for a bit just so Alea will harass me. :D
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:20 pm

But who harasses the harasser? (I wish I knew how to say that in Latin).
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:43 pm

Me. Although I'm not sure it can really be considered harassment if she likes my never ending supply of short jokes.
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:12 am

*harasses Jan* Didn't even have to leave, which is how I like it.

And um, Josh, I don't think it counts when I seek you out every single time.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:43 am

Man, I almost want to take off for a bit just so Alea will harass me. :D
I was gone for months and was not harassed once. Not even a little.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:54 pm

Obviously I thought the bear got you, so your dose of harassment was forwarded to him/her.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:16 pm

But I ate the bear!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:24 pm

How's that working out for you? Any nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, or diarrhea? Any new carpets in the house? Inquiring minds want to know!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:45 pm

Chevy Volt to get approximately 230 mpg in city, or precisely ten times the mpg of my current vehicle. I need to get on a waiting list for this or something. :-p
The story
General Motors Co. said today that its long-awaited Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid is expected to achieve fuel economy of 230 miles per gallon in city driving.

The Volt is expected to get much better mileage in city driving, where it can take full advantage of its all-electric capability. GM said it has calculated a highway mileage estimate for the Volt, but didn't release the figure. The automaker said it was confident the car's combined city-highway fuel economy "will be in the triple digits."

"The 230 city mpg number is a great indication of the capabilities of the Volt's electric propulsion system and its ability to displace gasoline," said Frank Weber, global vehicle line executive for the Volt.

"Actual testing with production vehicles will occur next year, closer to vehicle launch," he said. "However, we are very encouraged by this development, and we also think that it is important to continue to share our findings in real time, as we have with other aspects of the Volt's development."

The company said today it has produced about 30 Volts and is making 10 a week at its pre-production facility in Warren, Mich. GM is expected to announce later this week that the Volt's nearly 400-pound lithium-ion battery will be assembled at a plant in the Detroit area. The production version car will be built at GM's Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant.

As the pre-production vehicles are road-tested, estimates of the cars' all-electric range and their eventual fuel economy rating could change. Volts currently are being road-tested in Yuma, Ariz., to gauge their performance in hot weather conditions.

GM has staked much of its technological reputation on the Volt, and has touted the vehicle relentlessly for more than two years. Some critics have derided the vehicle as an expensive piece of "vaporware" that would never achieve significant sales, but the automaker has consistently maintained that it is committed to the Volt.

"Right now, there are no foreseeable roadblocks to the program and the program's timing," GM spokesman Rob Peterson said.

Although GM has not released pricing information on the Volt, industry analysts estimate it will cost about $40,000, though the automaker says the car's list price would likely be lowered by federal tax credits and other incentives. Peterson said Volt owners would be eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit provided on electric vehicles.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:16 pm

yeah, unfortunately as i was reading in the june 2009 discover magazine article that i read the batteries dont last very long, cost 16000 dollars to replace, and as they're lithium-ion batteries if they overcharge they can start on fire. just thought i'd mention the massive shortcomings.

btw i like hydrogen cars. while there needs to be an infrastructure in place to support them, they are probably going to be our best bet. they want to make car charging parking lots and add on to gas stations to accommodate electric cars anyway, so giving gas stations hydrogen isn't that far-fetched. plus there's the ability to convert existing gas cars into hydrogen cars so people with classic cars or cars that they love could keep them running (if they mass produce the conversion kits the cost will only be a few thousand. which is better than having to buy another car or get rid of a classic)

not to mention in a decade or so we'll have a bunch of vhtr nuclear power plants giving us tons of cleanly made hydrogen.

the biggest hurdle is getting the mpk of hydrogen into acceptable levels.

plus more efficient home hydrogen converters could happen. so we could see inexpensive hydrogen plants in our garages.

electric cars may be sooner in dominance of the clean car market but the lack of quality batteries will be its demise.
Ubernaustrum

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:32 pm

yeah, unfortunately as i was reading in the june 2009 discover magazine article that i read the batteries dont last very long, cost 16000 dollars to replace, and as they're lithium-ion batteries if they overcharge they can start on fire. just thought i'd mention the massive shortcomings.
They have to add some shortcomings to cars. Planned obsolescence is much more important to their bottom line than consumer safety. So batteries that catch on fire and have to be replaced sounds like a good way to make sure consumers continue to pay for expensive servicing of their cars. It's actually kind of encouraging they have big problems like that, big problems make them more attractive to construct to the car companies. ;)

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:15 pm

if you say so. i think planned obsolesence sounds like an excuse for shoddy craftsmanship. even then, general maintainence is p.o.. your car catching fire is insurance risk or death trap.
Ubernaustrum

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:52 pm

Automata. A little video derived from Penny Arcade's "Automata" thing. It's an alternate history where... eh, I'll just use Tycho's words:
...Automata, nineteen-twenties crime fiction which unfolds in a time where "machine intellect" has been outlawed. It wasn't always, certainly, and the problem of what to do with the existing "stock" of fully sentient, mechanical citizens endures. Detective Regal and his stenophone Carl Swangee traverse the margin where these worlds overlap.
Not much to say about it; I just thought it was cool. Also related: the Teddy Thursday radio show.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:59 am

i like the automata storyline. the video helps a bit, but i think i was hoping for more out of it.
Ubernaustrum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:02 pm

I heard this by word of mouth, so don't ask for links to prove it but I hear, up in Phoenix, the teens are using anal beer bongs and vodka soaked tampons to get the alcohol into their systems faster. To which I say, what the hell is wrong with people?

Oh, my mom told me this after work.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:02 am

I've heard of at least one case of someone dying from doing that. The alcohol completely bypasses the stomach and liver and goes straight into the blood. Very dangerous.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:32 am

That just seems stupid.

From someone who likes to drink quite a bit, half the enjoyment comes from the fact that I like the way beer tastes. Now, beer bongs can be fun in their own right. But I have to say, I never once thought about putting in my ass.

Ok, maybe once...

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:24 am

What an insane waste of good suds and boose! :shock:

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:02 pm

What. The. f***.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:54 pm

That just seems stupid.

From someone who likes to drink quite a bit, half the enjoyment comes from the fact that I like the way beer tastes. Now, beer bongs can be fun in their own right. But I have to say, I never once thought about putting in my ass.
Actually liking the way beer tastes is almost as mind boggling to me.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:39 pm

Maybe you either have the gene that allows beer to taste good or you don't. My husband and I both can't stand the taste of any beer.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:17 pm

I've always found half the enjoyment comes from the actual process of gradually getting sloshed. No method of getting drunk super fast has ever made much sense to me.

But that's just -- wow.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:49 pm

I heard this by word of mouth, so don't ask for links to prove it but I hear, up in Phoenix, the teens are using anal beer bongs and vodka soaked tampons to get the alcohol into their systems faster. To which I say, what the hell is wrong with people?

Oh, my mom told me this after work.
I don't know... this seems a lot like "rainbow parties" and whatnot.

But it may be true. People are idiots.

ETA: Ah, it was on "the Dr's"
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:32 pm

The Walking Thought of the Day: If I had to pick a store to spend the night in, what store would I pick?

Easy peasey, lemon squeezey: Target. They have furniture displayed, which could be used for sleeping or reading (they have books and magazines for that), they have an electronics section (dvds and cds, I'm looking at you), they have food, they have school supplies, and if I got really and truly bored, they have enough clothes and jewelry to play dress up.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:46 am

My mom thinks my first word was "dada," but she's not certain.

The only thing she is certain of is that I learned to say "Lea boob!" awfully fast/young because I was a chunker who constantly wanted breast-milk. To this day, milk is my favorite drink, though not from any human's breast.
hehe, my first full sentence was "cha-cha want hot fudge too" (because I couldn't say Thomas)

I even got a fantastic Lego story out of it this last time.
Strictly speaking....it wasn't about Lego's so much as being very much about things that are "NOT LEGOs"
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:28 pm

Actually liking the way beer tastes is almost as mind boggling to me.
Likewise. The enjoyment of alcohol for me is the burning sensation, which is why I usually stick to hard stuff. The taste and getting drunk (and getting occaisionally hungover) I find to all be unpleasant things that just come along with it.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:50 am

I always considered "acquired taste" to be a bullshit concept. However, beer has only become something I find palatable over time. I still can't stand the ubiquitous Miller, Bush, etc. but I like to try a microbrew from time to time and I have gone from enjoying the experience maybe once in ten tries to something like three out of four.

That said, more often than not I prefer a cocktail to beer. Or the wonderfully warm feeling of a straight bourbon and the like.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:23 pm

my favorite is probably the repulsively delicious flavor of Lagavulin or Laphroaig or other peat-based Scotches--sort of like kerosene stirred with a charred stick, mmmm.

Beer, I've kinda switched and drifted on. I like the less heavy, less dark less hoppy beers, and the ones that have a lot of dancing complementing flavors, in general I only find beers like this when they're on tap at some specialty place that has a ton of beers on tap. New Castle used to be my default favorite, now I've moved on more or less to Fat Tire. For whatever bizarre reason my buddies have taken to purchasing Coors Light instead of regular bud or miller, Coors Light is like drinking beer flavored water, it's almost pleasant because it's so smooth, but it's also quite disappointing all at the same time, perhaps because it's so inoffensive and lacking in character?

Return to “Milagre Town Square”