Random Question for the Grammar Nazis

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!

Which is correct?

:).
9%
. :)
77%
:) .
14%

Total votes: 22

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:44 am

The fact that it bore mentioning to a class of 60+ people implies that it happened often enough to suggest that either there were a lot of really careless people or at least a few of them didn't understand the rules.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:16 pm

I had an interesting debate in my head when I was writing a recent post. The said post began as such, "It is not...". Now if I were to contract it, should I write "It's not..." or "It isn't..." or does it even make a difference?

Now I was thinking it doesn't matter, but if I were to do it I should use "It isn't...". Just for the simple fact that so many people struggle with the concept of it's vs its. I wish I could remember the Strong Bad song.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:55 am

Oh, if you want possessive, it's just I-T-S.
But if you want a contraction, it's I-T apostrophe S.
Scalywag.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:58 am

Heee... that one came up in class, too.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:58 pm

This isn't grammar but I figured it was close enough and you guys would be able to provide edification.

This came up while watching Jeopardy tonight. In school, I was taught that the vowels were "a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y and w." My husband has never heard of "w" being included. What were you taught and is the above definition considered accurate?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:50 pm

I have never heard of W being included. I was taught sometimes Y, but that's it. I have no idea what is right though.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:51 pm

Yeah, I was taught that "y" and "w" were sometimes vowels (aka semi-vowels or soft consonants?) to be included as "additive" to the standard list of 5 vowels.

"Y" is pretty easy to use as a full vowel (take the words "pretty" and "easy" for example) but "w" is a lot more difficult... it is more of the invisible vowel or soft consonant, I guess. It's fairly obvious that the "w" in "vowel" is not a consonant, and you could basically get the same sound from an alternate spelling (foul/fowl). It is even used almost "silently" in many words (bowl vs. bole? know vs. no? Compare to "now" or "howl" where "w" is very much an influence in the pronunciation.) The name even sort of implies that it is a vowel of sorts: "double-u."

But where, if anywhere, does "w" get used like an outright (solo) vowel? I don't think I know of any in the English language, although there are several "acceptable" words in scrabble dictionaries that are Welsh in origin: 'cwm' (which rhymes with 'room') and 'crwth' (which rhymes with 'truth').
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby KennEnder » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:01 pm

As a comment on the actual poll here, I was in school long before the introduction of such things as 'smilies' so I have no idea what the "rules" governing their punctuation might be... or that there SHOULD even be rules governing them! Heck, I have never even considered using them in 'real' writing. I don't know which smilies are best used after 'lol' and which after 'jk' or if there are appropriate/inappropriate smilies to use on memos to my boss...

I think we're lucky if people using sentences with :) in it are spelling whole words and writing whole sentences, rather than cul8r bff or lylab!

So, I vote option 2, which at least leaves the smiley out of the sentence if not the entire document. (jk) ;)

got2go

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:04 pm

I've never heard of W being counted as a vowel in English, and, I'll be honest, I do not think it should be. It is a glide, to be sure, but if it is a vowel, it is never independently so. There isn't even any consensus on whether Y takes the form of or [j] in diphthongs, so it seems a stretch to call W a vowel. And I don't think we can consider anything the Scrabble dictionary accepts without other evidence behind it as the standards for what is a word or not a word in it are notably sketchy.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:23 pm

Haha, KennEnder, I'm older than you, but that didn't stop me from voting in the poll or having an opinion about it. ;)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:37 am

I've also never heard of 'w' being called a vowel.
As a comment on the actual poll here, I was in school long before the introduction of such things as 'smilies' so I have no idea what the "rules" governing their punctuation might be... or that there SHOULD even be rules governing them!
It's not like they teach this stuff in schools... At least, I hope not. They certainly didn't when I was in earlier grades.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby KennEnder » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:02 pm

It's not like they teach this stuff in schools... At least, I hope not. They certainly didn't when I was in earlier grades.
Well, if (or when?) they do, I will totally give up any hope for US schools that I have hung onto so tenaciously!

Heck, I remember a time when "fish" was both singular AND plural. Classroom lessons do change... as does the language. But some things are better left out of the curriculum.

PS. 'W' is a strange case all around. It behaves like a consonant as far as where it shows up in words (like between two other vowels or in front of an 'h' or at the end of a word, etc), but it behaves like a vowel in your mouth (ie, it does not constrict the air or stop it like other consonants do).

PPS. I guess if I were to be classified as a letter, I would be a 'w' - which is a matter I have never considered before. So, from now on, 'w' is my favorite letter.

PPPS. Why do people often have a favorite NUMBER but never a favorite letter? I've never heard of someone talk about their favorite letter before!

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:06 pm

Wait. Back up. "Fish" isn't singular and plural anymore?

But -- one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish?
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby KennEnder » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:15 pm

I think there's a "grandfather clause" that allows "fish" to be singular and plural for old people and old poems/songs. But once we go and our poems/songs are forgotten, so is the double use.
Main Entry:
fish
Pronunciation:
\ˈfish\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural fish or fish·es
As a happy note, this dictionary actually still lists "fish" as the first entry for the plural, but others I have seen now reverse it. AND, I actually saw a school text book that didn't even mention the possibility that "fish" could be both. Also, when I hear 'people' talk, they usually use 'fishes' (except in that poem, oddly enough).

When I was in school, "fishes" was only proper under the same kinds of circumstances as "persons" or "peoples" - both of which get overused by the media, in my opinion.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:56 pm

Wait. Back up. "Fish" isn't singular and plural anymore?

But -- one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish?

I agree. Fishes sounds absolutely terrible. They might as well make it fishies. At least that is fun to say.

I hate persons and peoples. Why can't people(haha wasn't even trying) just say the word "people"? It isn't that hard.

I also hate the word hanged. *cringes* I think is sounds appalling.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:10 pm

"Hanged" is actually a valid word, but it only applies to humans. Everything else gets hung, but humans get hanged. Why? No idea.

"Persons" gets used when you have a plural number of individuals who are being referred to collectively despite the fact that they don't form a conceptual group.

"Fishes" is just wrong.

W is not a vowel in English. It's a bilabial fricative, IIRC.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:07 pm

Oh I know hanged is valid, but I still hates it. In my book, humans get hung...always have...always will...

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:12 pm

It is sort of dissonant, yeah.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby KennEnder » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:41 pm

Another thing that often gets me is the difference between American and British English. Oh, not the standard "-er" vs. "-re" (theater/theatre) or "-or" vs "-our" (color/colour) - those are 'famous.' I mean subtle things and even GRAMMAR differences!

Things like these usually just made me think I was plain old stupid, because I could just never seem to remember the 'real' way to say it or spell it:

(American form vs. British form)
  • traveling vs. travelling
    counseling vs. counselling
    modeling vs. modelling
    equaling vs. equalling
    enrollment vs. enrolment
    catalog vs. catalogue
    argument vs. arguement
    judgment vs. judgement
    jewelry vs. jewellery
    draft vs. draught
    plow vs. plough
    learned vs. learnt
    spelled vs. spelt
    pajamas vs. pyjamas
    dreamed vs. dreamt
    leaped vs. leapt
    forecast vs. forecasted
    lit vs. lighted
    fit vs. fitted
    knit vs. knitted
    strove vs. strived
That's probably enough to give you an idea of how confused I was as a student. Why didn't my teachers explain that I would SEE such differences and that they were "normal," like the theatre/theater thing? I will never forgive them!

This is a cool page I found looking for some references: http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/differences.htm

Another cool page is: http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwesl/egw/jones/words.htm

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:02 pm

I'm always a bit taken aback when my Canadian pweb friends refer to me as a "counsellor" instead of a "counselor."

When my face-to-face Canadian friends pronounce the word process as "proh-cess" rather than "prah-cess" I used to giggle. Then I began to find it charming.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:49 pm

Quite a few of those are used in american english, too.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:24 pm

/w/ is a labio-velar glide. Another name for it is semi-vowel. Basically it is formed by moving positions in the mouth, whereas all other consonant sounds which are not glides (so anything but /w/ or /j/) are simply a stationary position, in the case of plosives, a stationary position followed by a release. Y is only called both a consonant and a vowel in English because sometimes it represents /j/ and other times /i/. W is always either /w/ or an upside down "w," which are the voiced and voiceless forms of the same labio-velar glide.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:27 pm

I'm always a bit taken aback when my Canadian pweb friends refer to me as a "counsellor" instead of a "counselor."
To be honest, I always assumed that "counselor" was a typo or something of the sort.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:18 pm

/w/ is a labio-velar glide. Another name for it is semi-vowel. Basically it is formed by moving positions in the mouth, whereas all other consonant sounds which are not glides (so anything but /w/ or /j/) are simply a stationary position, in the case of plosives, a stationary position followed by a release. Y is only called both a consonant and a vowel in English because sometimes it represents /j/ and other times /i/. W is always either /w/ or an upside down "w," which are the voiced and voiceless forms of the same labio-velar glide.
Damn, that was hot.

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:41 pm

haha, you beat me to it, Rei. Bilabial fricatives do exist in English, but only in select dialects. When someone "pronounces the 'h' " in words like 'what' and 'whip', it's a voiceless bilabial fricative. Phonetically speaking, [w] is almost identical to , so I guess you could call it a vowel.

But going back to "rules" about things that should never be used in formal writing (the original point of this thread), I had a discussion with my friends today about the proper spelling of the contraction of "I'm gonna" to 2 syllables. I usually spell it "I'mma", but other people said "I'ma", or even "Imma" or "Ima". What do you guys think? (This is one of my favorite contractions in English, because it takes 5 syllables "I am going to", and reduces it to 3 segments)

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:22 pm

Haha, that's what I get for trying to read the IPA chart cold. Good thing there's no one else at work to hear me making WWwwwwuh noises. Oh, there it is, under co-articulated consonants. "Voiced labialised velar approximant." Almost as sexy as Anglo-Saxon's velar fricative.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:24 pm

Damn, that was hot.
It's all for you, Ollie, baby.

As for /u/ and /w/, they are almost identical, save for the velar aspect. And that makes all the difference.

On a more random note, /B/ is a bilabial trill -- which does indeed exist in at least one language somewhere -- and more or less sounds like a little kid playing with a toy truck. Bbbbrrrmmm bbbrrrrrmm.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby KennEnder » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:54 am

Wizzard...

I can't say I've ever even HEARD of a more contracted contraction of "I am going to" than "I'm gonna." ' But, having to make a choice, I'd make my own...

I'mma going to school.

I'm a-going to school.

I s'pose I'd a-gone widda last 'n.
Last edited by KennEnder on Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:55 am

I'm-a pop a cap in yo' ass?

Good heavens, the orthography on that one is weird. I have no idea, but I suspect "I'ma" or "I'm-a". "I'mma" changes the sound of the I, and it really needs an apostrophe, because "I'm" is not being contracted at all.

"I'm a-going" has a slightly different stress, and sounds more hillbilly than gangster, in my mind. Or like Trigger the vulture in the animated Robin Hood movie: "I'm a-gittin', I'm a-gittin!"

Side note, Kenn, did you realise your sig says "snare," not "share"?

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:44 am

"Hanged" is actually a valid word, but it only applies to humans. Everything else gets hung, but humans get hanged. Why? No idea.
"Unlucky men are hanged, lucky men are hung."
I can't say I've ever even HEARD of a more contracted contraction of "I am going to" than "I'm gonna." ' But, having to make a choice, I'd make my own...
There's a very relevant "Ozy and Millie" strip about this, but I don't have time to find it at the moment. I'll find it later, unless someone wants to get it for me...

Edit: Reading these threads is very strange if you're familiar with the *chans... "As for /u/ and /w/, they are almost identical," is just too funny.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:14 pm

I just have to say...I really love my pweb word nerds. *hugs*

And this has reminded me of the great cd/dvd by They Might Be Giants called "Here Come the ABCs" which I ostensibly got for my niece but it has some of the catchiest songs and coolest videos, check it out if you've never seen it. Some of my favs are "QU", "D&W" and "Alphabet Lost & Found"

http://www.giantkid.net/
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:54 pm

To be honest, I always assumed that "counselor" was a typo or something of the sort.
*very deeply amused*

I do have an M.A. in counseling, you know. Somewhere along the line, they made me learn to spell it, too.

~~~~~

In other news, I now have the Sesame Street song about the letter W in my head.

Oh what is the letter we love?
The one that we're extra fond of?
It's not any trouble, you
know it's a double-you
when you hear wuh-wuh-wuh-WUH!
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:56 pm

OOOOH

Now that we have all the grammar folks in one thread, can someone explain to me if/where there's an apostrophe in Master's degree? Is it a masters degree, a master's degree, or a masters' degree? What if you have several people getting their _______ degree? Does it change?

(They made me learn to spell "counselor," but no one taught me to punctuate my degree. I find that annoying.)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Oliver Dale » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:08 pm

You are deemed a master of your subject, and the degree belongs to you.

Master's degree.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Oliver Dale » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:13 pm

Oh, and if multiple people are receiving the degree: masters' degrees. If you are receiving multiple degrees yourself: master's degrees.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”