I am the awesomest because: (Special starlooker Edition)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon May 16, 2011 10:33 am

you mentioned you found a bottle of wine, but you didn't mention that you drank it, or if it was good.
For the record, it was moderately terrible. (I don't mind a small sip now and then.)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon May 16, 2011 10:50 am

I am the awesomest because I am CAUGHT UP.

(Well, with the things that the admin cares about.)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon May 16, 2011 11:21 am

You ARE the awesomest!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon May 16, 2011 11:25 am

Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon May 16, 2011 11:46 am

Yay, Kirsten!!

Ali, I'm sorry the wine was no good! I totally think that sometimes a bit of a "forbidden" pregnancy item is just fine. I fully support your choice to taste the occasional sip of wine, and i agree that the tiny one will be just fine. :) The wine sip is a lot less potentially harmful than some of the medications that I took while pregnant, under the direction of my dr.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon May 16, 2011 11:57 am

Ah well, it was free wine anyway! And Rei is enjoying it as kir (mixed with a bit of creme de cassis). The doctor, the midwife, and all the health professionals are careful to warn me that no one knows the minimum safe intake of alcohol, so it's best to not drink any, but 1-2 units a week is probably safe. I am WAY, WAY below that with my occasional sips of wine or beer.

It makes me laugh when my mom reminds me the "rough 'n ready" fix for Braxton-Hicks is apparently champagne, or a shot of whatever you can get hold of.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon May 16, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm awesomest because I'm posting anyway. So there, self-doubt!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon May 16, 2011 12:42 pm

Nomi is awesome because she likes lizards and reptiles, when they get a bad rep so often.
Nomi is awesome because she is generous and makes crafts for people Just Because.
Nomi is awesome because when I have a Jehovah's Witness-related question she is articulate and fair and helpful.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon May 16, 2011 12:52 pm

Awww, thank you so much! *hugs*
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon May 16, 2011 1:55 pm

Nomi is awesome
Hell yes.

Also, because she makes me laugh.

But I will only give one, in hopes she'll see all the awesome in herself and share it. She deserves to be in this thread.

As do quite a few of you who have not told me how and why you're awesome. Tsk tsk. *pointed look* You all are awesome at avoidance. :P

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon May 16, 2011 11:15 pm

I am awesome because I am constantly critical of myself and don't need self-congratulatory pats on the back saying how awesome I am.

oh no i mean wait oops
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 18, 2011 12:44 am

I am awesome because I am constantly critical of myself and don't need self-congratulatory pats on the back saying how awesome I am.

I want to ramble about this a bit.

I think there are basically three types of people in the world, to simplify things quite a bit: the overly critical (low self-esteemed), the realistically critical (healthily self-esteemed), and the overly complimentary (arrogant).

For the last group, I would classify comments one might find in this thread as self-congratulatory, because to me, that has a somewhat negative connotation. For the middle group, I would simply call it recognition; they are able to weigh their good and bad qualities against each other. For the first group, I would call it a near to completely impossible type of comment.

I see nothing wrong with people singing their own praise; after all, for most of us, we're our own worst enemies. It makes sense, then, that we should strive to be our own biggest champion. I think we should take stock of what makes us who we are and not only recognize the greatness in ourselves but also be unashamed to admit it, to own it. I know there's a fine line between pride and arrogance but I think it's important, especially for the overly critical sort, to practice or build up the positive thinking.

That is why the thread exists. Kirsten posted what I thought was an insightful post, I wanted to see it put into action.

I didn't hold a gun to anyone's head to participate, though I do wish more people would be comfortable with the idea of it. If they are comfortable with it but still don't feel like participating, that's cool, too. I figured a little nudge couldn't hurt.

With all that said, your post really was clever and I laughed when I read it (but you know me, I over-think everything and I couldn't let this be an exception!). That is part of why you are awesome. :)

(Also, if you gagged a little at all that cheese, you're not alone. Doesn't make it any less true, though.)

A more serious response to the thread for me:

I am awesome because I am courageous. Once I recognize a source of fear, I am capable and willing to face it head on.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed May 18, 2011 4:57 am

I am awesome because I am going to be a PhD and a mommy!
I posted this to further the poststravaganza, but I do really think this is true. I am balancing a PhD, two part-time jobs, and being pregnant, and this is not easy but so far I am making it work.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu May 19, 2011 2:03 pm

I got called a good role model yesterday. By a teenage girl. Completely unsolicited and out of the blue. I'd never quite thought of myself that way.

It's been Big Triumphs with Teenagers month for me. We have people learning they can break up from bad relationships, choosing not to have sex when they don't want to and expressing that assertively and clearly, going to prom stag after getting dumped and having an awesome time, graduating first in their family, and learning to face consequences in a mature fashion. And at least considering birth control.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:10 pm

I absolutely love this this, but i'm having the hardest time finding something to put here...

I'm awesome because i'm not giving up and i'm going to find something to actually contribute to this thread!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri May 20, 2011 7:15 am

I absolutely love this this, but i'm having the hardest time finding something to put here...

I'm awesome because i'm not giving up and i'm going to find something to actually contribute to this thread!
That was me exactly! Okay, I've done it for reals:

I'm awesome because I have always stuck up for those being bullied. I have no doubt that if I heard/saw someone being mistreated in public, I would say something.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri May 20, 2011 10:35 am

I'm the awesomest because I'm apparently a Liberty@Workâ„¢ fellow.

Just need to, you know, get selected at a partner organization. Or, really, the organization that made me want to apply to the program in the first place.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Fri May 20, 2011 1:57 pm

I am the awesomest because I coordinated my siblings and cousins to dress in pirate regalia to go to opening night of the new Pirate's movie tonight. Ok, so it wasn't hard to convince them, since we're a whole crew of pirate fiends, but still, it's going to be AWESOME!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu May 26, 2011 3:23 pm

I am awesome because I can read a 700-year-old document like a BOSS.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Thu May 26, 2011 3:30 pm

That IS awesome! Go you!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:33 pm

I am awesomest today because I can now list two book reviews, one minor (seriously, minor) article in a minor circulation, and being in the footnotes of an actual academic book.

Alas, the footnote is not a reference to something published, but according to my fellow students, I'm way ahead of the curve. Who knew.

I am awesome because Wee Brontosaurus is going to have a mommy with a successful career (I WILL).

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:38 pm

You rock!

I'm awesomest because I spent over a week with my SIL (who I love) and I was as supportive as possible and did not say anything negative or judgmental about her abysmal, depressing, horrible life, which she has created by her very poor decisions.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:59 pm

I'm the awesomest because I just got an e-mail that started like this:
Dear [Syphon],
It is with great pleasure that I extend to you an offer for the position of Policy Analyst at the [Think Tank].
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:02 pm

A major "hell yes!" to Bologna Boy, Ali, and Nomi. 8)
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:18 pm

Congrats, Syphon. That's really awesome!

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:06 pm

I'm not really all that awesome at all because it took me 8 years to finally get my driver's license. But I did it! I am now a legal driver. Be afraid.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:09 pm

That IS awesome. I cannot imagine not having my license. I got mine 29 days after turning 16. Yes, I was quite ready to be independent. I also moved out at 17. :)

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:51 pm

I'm the awesomest because I just got an e-mail that started like this:
Dear [Syphon],
It is with great pleasure that I extend to you an offer for the position of Policy Analyst at the [Think Tank].
I literally feel like jumping up and down!!! Yay!!

And way to go Ali, Nomi and Erica!!

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:49 pm

I can't think of a single reason to say I'm awesome. Maybe I'm being overanalytical, or maybe I'm just realistic.

I mean, I'm decent at a certain number of things.
I'm decently intelligent. Decently athletic. Decently healthy. Decently nice. Decently friendly. Decently sociable when I'm not too decently lazy to do it. Decent grades. Decent amount of friends. I've read a decent amount of books. I'm decently good at basketball. Decently fast. Decently strong for my weight. Below decent at dancing. Decently chill. Decent at debating, writing, and reading. Decently good hygiene. Decently attractive, I guess. I don't have a summer job and haven't had much practice driving yet.

I think you get the point. I'm not great at really anything. I have no real attributes I could boast about.

While I may be pretty good at Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I'm no where near high up there. I've been beaten a decent amount of times by the people who play at a more competitive level; those who go to tournaments and such.

So really, there's no genuine reason to say I'm awesome in my eyes. Don't try to come up with anything. The grass is always greener, and I'm not anyhwere near the greenest at anything.
Plus, I'm not the type to exaggerately use awesome.

(Only reason I took the time to type this out was because I was bored :wink: )
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:18 pm

You're awesome at being over-analytic. :-D

I'm just awesome. 'Nuff said.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:57 am

An awesome day all-round!

Congrats Syphon, Erica, and Nomi!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:53 pm

I'm not anyhwere near the greenest at anything.
Your avatar would beg to differ.

Alright, this being the second time you've come in here and me being genuinely frightened you'll have a 60 page thesis the next time if you don't get some attention this go around, let me bite.

Cezen, I quite sincerely think you are awesome because, unlike many adults, you have what appears to be an insatiable curiosity and also seem to go one step beyond and seek out the answers to your questions.

If you do what you typically do and start acting like a dismissive bitch over that, I'll be annoyed beyond all reason.
So raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways, all my underdogs.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:31 am

Hmmm, my first post was a joke. This last one was me being realistic (and I was bored, found absolutely no other thread of significant interest to post in).

I mean, I guess the point of this thread is a self-morale booster. A place where you can share your achievements and things that make you proud to be you. However, I'm not in any need of personal inspiration from myself.

I could see how this would be an awesome thread for someone depressed or someone looking on the bright side. Positive thinking and all. Or simply someone wanting to share something that makes them glow with pride. However, I'd rather be more pragmatic.

Now, I've barely skimmed posts here, so I vaguely remember one Neo made about being one of the coolest, principal approved professors at the school he teaches. That's awesome. If I thought I had something legitly awesome like that, I'd say it.

Oh but yeah, my point is I'm not saying I'm not awesome because I have low-selfesteem, issues, and am in need of therapy. Don't conclude my posts as a cry for help, attention, or anything like that.

I'm saying it because none of my life feats so far, are awesome. None are uniquely spectacular compared to people I know. It's quite alright, my life's just begun.

Even your proposed opinion on why I'm awesome, ignoring whether it's true or not, fails to live up to my standards of awesomeness.

....^I hope this wasn't the dismissive bitch thing you warned me against.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:49 am

Oh, but I guess this counts for the thread. My friend mentioned I'm awesome as a Facebook status near the end of her birthday
omgee!! thanks everyone for wishing me a happy birthday...it was such. special thanks to my bestie ***, *** for the delicious, ginormous strawberry ice cream cheesecake and a wonderful dinner, anddd CezeNjust because he's awesome. :]
because of a birthday poem I pulled out of my ass, and gave her as her birthday gift. It was decently good. Said it helped make it a great birthday. She's pretty much wooed at this point.

Is that awesome? Meh.
Was the poem awesome? It's not hard to exaggerate compliments to the point of bullshit a.k.a. poetry.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:43 am

She likes strawberry icecream? She is one in a million. I had no idea people like us were so rare until just this last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdkvueFUUlQ&t=28

Oh, and dude? Was a tiny bit of a dismissive bitch. We still cool though.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”