From Alvin Maker to Wyrms
KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Invasive Procedures

Postby KennEnder » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:39 pm

Okay, while roaming the store, I came across a new OSC book entitled "Invasive Procedures." I didn't see anything here on P-web about it (at least not in THIS forum, and nothing turned up in my search). He co-wrote it with Aaron Johnston.
George Galen is a brilliant scientist, a pioneer in gene therapy. But Galen is dangerously insane - he has created a method to alter human DNA, not just to heal diseases, but to "improve" people - make them stronger, make them able to heal more quickly, and make them compliant to his will.

Frank Hartman is also a brilliant virologist, working for the government’s ultra-secret bio-hazard agency. He has discovered how to neutralize Galen’s DNA-changing virus, making him the one man who stands in the way of Galen’s plan to "improve" the entire human race.

This taut thriller takes the reader a few years into the future, and shows the promise and danger of new genetic medicine techniques.
Anyone read it or know anything (more) about it?
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:51 pm

I've only heard about it on hatrack. Co-written books always make me leery. I can't help but wonder how much is written by OSC; just enough to get his name on the cover to help sales? Anyway, if it's in my library eventually I'll probably read it...
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

SaintDrogo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SaintDrogo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:23 am

It sounds kind of like Anton's Key too.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
Miles to go before I sleep

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:30 pm

Aaron Johnston wrote it, OSC came up with the story. It was still a decent read, though.
Last edited by Syphon the Sun on Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:57 pm

I know I enjoyed another co-authored book he worked on: Lovelock (which I also hear has a sequel finally coming out, although I don't know if Scott had a hand in that at all).
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:56 am

Oh, it was also based on one of his earlier short stories ("Malpractice").

CreoleBeanFan
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CreoleBeanFan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:29 pm

It sounds kind of like Anton's Key too.
I've started it - haven't been able to finish it yet. I was thinking Anton's Key, as well when reading.

Card is very good with storytelling through dialog - evoking emotion through interaction of characters. Even in some of Cards stories where I felt the story was a bit ... less interesting to me personally, the dialog almost always carries my interest.

Tcashon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Tcashon » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:29 pm

I actually enjoyed this book - it read and felt structured just like an OSC novel should. I was actually very interested in the whole genetic enhancement/healer hoo-hah. He actually kept the pace of this book up pretty well without getting slowed down into moral dilemmas like some of this other books.

Final word: If you like Card's books, definitely pick this one up and give it a try.
Yeah I got a response............er..WHAT?

turidoth
Launchie
Launchie

Postby turidoth » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:13 pm

I enjoyed it, it was faster paced, more movie-ish feel than your typical Card novel.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:42 am

A friend of mine picked this up at an airport, so I borrowed it awhile back and read it. It was just meh. It reminded me of a Dan Brown/Michael Crichton hybrid. It was fairly poorly written but with a quickly moving pace and somewhat interesting story line. I didn't sense much of Card in it. I'm guessing the other guy wrote most of it and OSC provided some guidance/editing, etc. It was okay but I certainly would not read it again.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:55 am

alter human DNA... and make them compliant to his will.
wut.

OSC did the research to sort out the mechanics of relativity and make them integral to his stories, and then serves up a story based on will-subverting DNA?
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Return to “Other Orson Scott Card Novels, Stories and Adaptations”