Somehow it's a teen's fault.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Locke_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Fill in the Blank

Somehow it's a teen's fault.

Postby Locke_ » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:20 pm

Read this short article on Yahoo news:

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/devlin/14808

It's frusterating to me... teens don't get enough sleep? Duh. The article proceeds to then bash the tv, videogame, computer habits of teens. Like that's why teends don't get enough sleep. It's not the crazy amounts of homework and studying, or the extracurricular activites and sports, or college apps and prep, or the -- God-forbidden! -- social life. None of that is why teens don't get enough sleep.

The most absurd thing about the article is completely symbolic of the way adults forget what it's like to be a teenager and habits: find solutions like the habits of the teen are a problem. It's crazy that the article could say that teens' internal clocks tend to shift to later times, and then find solutions to all sleep problems by removing a tv from a teen's room? Give me a break. They just claimed a natural, internal bodily tendency, but it's still tv's fault. The problem isn't with a teen that his internal clock is different than adulthood. The problem is the different clock, not the teen. And rather than figure out a way to work with the "problem," adults encourage methods that provide no real solution. Sure, tv definitely needs to be acknowledged as a problem of its own accord, but it's no solution to sleep deprivation. No teen would say, "alright I guess I can't watch tv. I guess I'll just go to sleep now." If a teen wants to stay awake, or is going to stay awake, he/she will.
It is not the sound of victory;
it is not the sound of defeat;
it is the sound of singing that I hear.
-Moses

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:05 pm

Your answer sounds to me like a completely stereotypical teen's answer.

The fact of the matter is that historically, teens and preteens don't get enough sleep. Regardless of the gadgets or lack thereof, teenagehood, as well as young adulthood, is a time where people are trying to do everything at once and figure out who they are and where they fit in life. It's rather normal for that stage in one's life. That also doesn't take into account the role rebellion plays into it, where teenagers want to stay up purely because their parents say not to; but that's much more difficult to argue objectively.
I hope somebody gets it...
The other truth here, though, is that the onslaught of gadgetry and electronics and ways to stay connected has embiggened this problem. You look in the room of a teenager 20 years ago versus one now and you'll see that now rooms are covered with all kinds of on lights and power cords, things that beep, boop, and sing; and lots of things that'll go off at all hours of the night (such as your computer speakers when you leave MSN connected all night ;-)). With a superbright computer monitor, and all these other doodads that can run 24/7 without so much as requiring the lights to be on you can't tell me that it is far easier and thus more tempting for a teenager to stay up late using them. 20 years ago what were you gonna do at 3am? Play your vinyl? Watch your lava lamp? No, you're gonna smoke some pot and then pass out. Not that that part's any different from todays teens, but I digress.

Nobody's stating that not getting enough sleep is gadgetry's fault or even the teenagers' fault; the point that they're trying to make is that all of these things have made an already present and quite natural issue worse than it was.

Are you really going to tell me that someone who watches TV at night (especially in their room and/or in their own bed) isn't going to naturally stay up later - on average - than someone who doesn't? I've had a TV in my room for years now, and I'm the first to admit that I'll get caught up in a movie or a show or series of shows while watching from bed and end up staying up far later than I would have had I been sitting up on a couch or something and feeling my body's desire for sleep. That's not to say that there aren't other things to do; but if you're restricted to a living room for television, it takes a lot of the comfort out of watching TV late at night and encourages you subconsciously to go to bed when your body gets tired. Alternatively, watching while you're lying down in bed is a great way for your body to rest and not bother you without getting any sleep at all.
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:29 pm

The other truth here, though, is that the onslaught of gadgetry and electronics and ways to stay connected has embiggened this problem.
Dude, "embiggen" is not a crumulent word.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:52 pm

It does sound kind of cool though.

While, yes, kids will stay up late with or without technology, it definitely adds to the problem. I know I've stayed up too late far too many nights on Pweb or YouTube, or countless other places on the internet. Not to mention the accursed minesweeper on my palm pilot that I always have to play "just one more time."

Of course, I've stayed up later reading books than doing anything else (though watching movies comes really, really close), so it clearly isn't all technology's fault.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:17 am

1) Once you get to be 15.. 16.. 17.. parents should no longer have to dictate when you go to bed and when you wake up. At this point a teenager should be capable of gaging their own needs of sleep and be responsible enough to wake up in time to go to school.

2) The amount of homework that is given out now in high school is beyond absurd. Homework does help the teenagers further absorb what they are learning, this I know, but there should be no reason for them to have to spend more than a few (2) hours per night maximum. Spread out over 6 classes the homework should not expand beyond 20 minutes of homework per class per night. Weekend homework also seems to be something that slowly starts to come about as students approach middle and high school, and I believe this is also something which doesn't seem necessary.

3) As classes get harder, studying does become more and more. The standard length of time for studying now is 3 hours of study time per week per class credit. So, for a three credit class a student should be studying 9 hours a week. Add this on top of the already insane amounts of homework (which are supposed to RE-ENFORCE what one has learned, not drill or test them), they already have lost large amounts of time post-school.

I have spoken to kids who end up spending six or more hours every night after school just doing homework and studying. They often times do not get to bed until 2 or 3 am and have to wake up within a few hours.

Further, throw on top the after-school activities, sports, etc and they run quite low of night time to do all that is assigned to them.

4) Why is it that teenagers, who need more sleep, get less of it and must get up earlier? I personally believe the younger kids should have to go to school earlier, while the older kids should go to school later. Basically swap, instead of 7 8 and 9 starting with high school, it should start with elementary.

5) Electronics are a big part of it, however if your teenager is not responsible enough to limit his or her time on these entertainment mediums and because of this they loose sleep, then you quite honestly have failed as a parent. The computer can keep me up until 2am, but when it hits that time 98% of the time I say goodbye to whoever I am talking with and go to sleep. Besides this, there is nothing good on at night anyways.

Speaking from personal experience I have learned the most from teachers whom go out of their way to put as little pressure on me as possible. School should not be a hectic rush to cram as much into your brain as you can. Ask any parent -- it was not about learning the information, it was about remembering the information long enough to pass a test. The hours following it they had forgotten almost all of it that they had strained to remember. If you ask me, this is totally and completely useless. It is no longer about learning and critical thinking.

Homework, for me, again is best when it does not take serious effort and time. I remember something better when I write it down. This does not mean me writing down and solving 25 answers that take 5 to 10 minutes each helps. School time should be for school problems. Homework should be for re-enforcement, and re-enforcement doesn't mean more school work.

Perhaps one of the problems here is that schools are trying to fit too much in too short a time. If teachers are unable to teach a concept and then allow the students an attempt to apply the concept then school needs to be structured better. One day for teaching a concept, homework is to read about what was taught, one day to apply the same concept, homework is to follow up with a short time of the same concept.

My brain literally starts to hurt after several hours of studying and homework. At this point I am no longer absorbing anything but simply drilling in autopilot. I am not attempting to learn anything, but attempting to finish. It's quite nice to have the freedom to study for as long as I feel like doing it, and then stopping and taking a break for awhile without feeling like doing so will cause me to fall behind.

</school rant>

Sum it up: If your teenager is being sucked up by electronics to the point where eating, sleeping, and school are being affected then you have failed as a parent. On top of this: Schools give insane amounts of work to send home to help the students learn and yet our schools still suck much ass all the while sucking up much time. All in the pursuit of memorizing information for tests which most likely will be forgotten later.

I'd put my money on the schools tendency to overwork and/or piss poor parenting. "QUIT SHIFTING BLAME"

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:57 am

It is, however, a perfectly cromulent word.

I don't have much to say on this, but one thing I still find ridiculous is the hour at which most high school students must go to school. My school started at 8:30, and that was later than all of the other ones I heard about in the area. Maybe some Psych people can help me out here... isn't it around that age when hormones make kids want to go to sleep later and sleep in later? I recall hearing something on that, but heresay is all I have, unfortunately.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:14 am

It is, however, a perfectly cromulent word.
Jebus help me, if embiggen isn't a cromulent word then let me be eaten by a kwyjibo.

Back on topic, as a teen I agree with..well, basically, all those who posted in this topic: it's our responsibility to leave the electronics behind and go to sleep, but you can't put all the blame on us: gotta put some on the system, which "rewards" us with homework, assignments and tests by the dozen each year. ;)

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby daPyr0x » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:16 am

It's your fault for choosing to do the homework and study. Perhaps all this homework and testing is actually just a practice of survival of the fittest, if you're not smart enough to know the material off of the in class stuff, then you deserve to fail.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:27 am

i choose to not get enough sleep. i know i could use more, and i know i can get more, and sometimes i chose to, but most of the time, i have things i'd rather do. i'll admit that having a computer connected to the internet in my room is a temptation, and i can find myself choosing it over sleep, but i'm not fooling myself. i know exactly how much sleep i get and if i end up not getting enough, i adjust accordingly. i'm not some dopey teen who's being suckered into not getting enough sleep by technology, or at least i don't think i am.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:48 am

It's your fault for choosing to do the homework and study. Perhaps all this homework and testing is actually just a practice of survival of the fittest, if you're not smart enough to know the material off of the in class stuff, then you deserve to fail.
Wait. Did you just SPECIFICALLY say that it's my fault for not sleeping if I decide to do homework and study so that I can get a piece of paper that allows me to get many more pieces of paper which indirectly lead to success in life? I mean, that IS what we do this for. Get some sort of paper that says we know something, and this allows us to get more paper which allows us to function in civilized society.

Did you just say that I deserve to fail if I am unable to completely grasp concepts the minute I see them and recreate said concepts with complete accuracy without ever having to read, write, or practice them?

Well s***. Can I get a refund on my brain? Either mine is defective, or you have the God gifted Einstein model. In either case, I guess I'll just have to go flip burgers for the rest of my life because obviously I have no chance in this world when there are people like you out there.

Seriously now. I'm sorry we're not all geniuses such as yourself and that we can't keep up with your perfection.

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby daPyr0x » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:06 am

Why yes, I did specifically say that.

...colour me thoroughly amused...
some people can't take a joke...

Locke_
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Locke_ » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:55 pm

When my parents took the tv out of my room because of grades, I picked up a guitar and learned to play it by playing until 2 a.m.-ish. TV is much more a factor with grades, schoolwork, etc. Not sleep. At least if I remember correctly.

Funny thing is, I haven't been a teen for a few years now.

dap, try one day experimenting with your childrens' academia by sharing that same philosophy. It might be neat to observe the outcome. yeeahhaha
-Moses

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby daPyr0x » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:12 pm

You both just failed the test and you don't even know why...
What hath happened to the pweb we used to know and love? Is there no such thing as sarcasm anymore?

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:28 pm

Well you seemed to have passed the cryptic test... Care to explain yourself Cam?

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:29 pm

The other truth here, though, is that the onslaught of gadgetry and electronics and ways to stay connected has embiggened this problem.
Oh the irony, you misspelled cromulent.

As to the rest of you: stfu who gives a shiz?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:37 pm

Yeah, it was a typo. It totally ruined the joke. :x

Locke_
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Locke_ » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:15 pm

As to the rest of you: stfu who gives a shiz?
Just what I'd like to ask the researching chums.
-Moses

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:04 am

Well you seemed to have passed the cryptic test... Care to explain yourself Cam?
Well, I believe he was being SARCASTIC. I know.. it doesn't really convey that well over the interwebs sadly enough.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:48 pm

Evidently homework's not required anymore, so you can't really place any blame there.
The enemy's fly is down.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:24 am

I go to bed when I don't need to, and get up when I can sleep in. I don't know why. My mom wants me in bed at around 10(though if I wanted to I'd just stay up anyway) but I find myself goind to bed around 9 to 9:30. And when I can sleep in, like on some Saturdays, I wake up early, though on week days I don't want to get up at all. :?

I read an article that teens who spend too much time playing video games have trouble falling alseep. I think it had something to do with being in front of a screen for hours. I find that after I've been on the computer for a while I dont fall asleep for a while.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:53 am

In the book Nurture Shock, they say that school should actually start later. Teens aren't getting enough sleep because they are expected to ignore their bodies natural cycle of going to bed like an adult (around 11pm), but get up to go to school early in the morning when they actually need more sleep then an adult.

They make an interesting case that the stereotypes of young people - laziness, negativity, lack of motivation - are the same as those of someone with a sleep disorder.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Maybe I should read that book.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:50 pm

In the book Nurture Shock, they say that school should actually start later. Teens aren't getting enough sleep because they are expected to ignore their bodies natural cycle of going to bed like an adult (around 11pm), but get up to go to school early in the morning when they actually need more sleep then an adult.

They make an interesting case that the stereotypes of young people - laziness, negativity, lack of motivation - are the same as those of someone with a sleep disorder.
I love that book. :)
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:50 am

Wait. Did you just SPECIFICALLY say that it's my fault for not sleeping if I decide to do homework and study so that I can get a piece of paper that allows me to get many more pieces of paper which indirectly lead to success in life? I mean, that IS what we do this for. Get some sort of paper that says we know something, and this allows us to get more paper which allows us to function in civilized society.

Did you just say that I deserve to fail if I am unable to completely grasp concepts the minute I see them and recreate said concepts with complete accuracy without ever having to read, write, or practice them?

Well s***. Can I get a refund on my brain? Either mine is defective, or you have the God gifted Einstein model. In either case, I guess I'll just have to go flip burgers for the rest of my life because obviously I have no chance in this world when there are people like you out there.

Seriously now. I'm sorry we're not all geniuses such as yourself and that we can't keep up with your perfection.
This is just the most hilarious post I've read in a while.

I couldn't just read it without noting that.

Effing hilarious
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:01 pm

I do not get enough sleep. It was luxurious when I had to go to bed/sleep by 10-12 every night earlier in the year, the permanent rings under my eyes began to fade, I was more alert and functional at work throughout the entire day. Oddly even if I slept 7-9 hours every night compared to my usual 4-6 hours (yes really, I got a bit more than four last night) I would often still wake up tired. Not wake up with my body begging for more sleep, but still waking up tired. I think my number one goal for April will be to get more sleep.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby daPyr0x » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Ah, my crypticism rarely goes off without creating some amusement for me...

Return to “Milagre Town Square”