Confessions of a 20-something mother

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:18 pm

Confession: Sometimes, I feel out of depth here, all with being a kid and only having been here for less that a year... :?
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:30 pm

Confession:
This makes me so extremely happy that my friend talked me into applying here. I'm giddy. =]
It made me wish I could apply to Yale, too. I don't know what it is about songs (and 12 colleges, study halls, suites and the likes) that make me wanna go there...

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:32 pm

Isn't Yale one of the best colleges in the US?
Congrats then! :)

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Haha, it is. I haven't gotten in, though.. I just applied by the deadline and will know this spring. Woo 10% acceptance rates....

But I've literally watched that video over 10 times in the past 24 hours. It's addicting.

And Jeesh! It's okay to feel that way! You'll get more comfortable! Just don't leave us! I'd miss you. =[

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:56 pm

*orihime huggles Jeesh into her nurturing bossom*
:lol:

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:54 am

I love that I can see when two posters are actually the same person. Makes my day.
Not going to make a thing about it, but... I don't like when mods seem to do this so casually.
Confession:
This
...made me think of this. (collegehumor video; so, crude and probably a bit nsfw)
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:06 pm

You've given me something to think about, zero.

To be slightly defensive, when I was not a mod, I just assumed that any alternate name I made was known by the mods.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:02 pm

Confession: I'm trying to coax myself in to going to the local mental health association location today. I don't even really know why, just that I'm not satisfied as I am.

Confession: Remembering the mods could see through the veil of the Confessions username, I took extra efforts toward my anonymity.
The password is "guilty"

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:35 pm

confession: I had never played Kings until saturday, how did I miss out on this drinking game for so long? way better than beer pong or flip cup.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Bonito, if you like the colleges aspect of Yale, you might want to consider Rice.

There are 11 colleges, they all have cheers/chants/songs/slurs, commons, relatively decentralized dining (though, I'd recommend eating at one with a servery- serves a couple colleges at once, because selection is bigger), fun inter-college competitions, etc.... also, equal academics and a smaller pricetag!

not that I'm biased, or anything.

(Go Owls! BSWB!)
-Kim

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Confession: I'm not a big fan of a lot of the images that people like Cezen and Satya post, those internet memes and motivational type posters and whatever else they're called. Caption pictures? Doesn't matter.

I don't hate them, I probably don't dislike them actively enough to say that I dislike them. But if I were asked if I would take 'em or leave 'em, 99% of the time it'd be "leave 'em."
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:54 pm

Confession: Even though I know "meme" is pronounced "meem", I still say "me-me" in my head.

Also, I agree. Once, it's worth a chuckle. Any more than that and it starts to get old... so three years ago old.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:48 pm

Confession: I stayed up until 11pm just to get a Whataburger Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:09 am

Confession: I'm not a big fan of a lot of the images that people like Cezen and Satya post, those internet memes and motivational type posters and whatever else they're called. Caption pictures? Doesn't matter.

I don't hate them, I probably don't dislike them actively enough to say that I dislike them. But if I were asked if I would take 'em or leave 'em, 99% of the time it'd be "leave 'em."
Ditto.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:56 am

Confession: certain recent discussions on a forum member's gender made me extremely uncertain on a matter I thought I had long put to rest in my own mind. I only just now remembered that I could just cruise through "Girly Stuff" and look for this specific poster.

I was correct. Stupid uncertainty!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Confession:

After listening to Memories of the Futurecast, I suddenly remembered that when I first watched Star Trek I wondered what the "O.A." in O.A. Team meant.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:57 am

Confession:

After listening to Memories of the Futurecast, I suddenly remembered that when I first watched Star Trek I wondered what the "O.A." in O.A. Team meant.
How was it? I never was a big TNG fan, but I am a bit Wil Wheaton fan.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:09 pm

I've listened to a few of them. They're pretty funny- funnier if you're familiar with TNG. His thoughts on Wesley are pretty hilarious.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:00 am

Confession: If it snows, it will bring back memories I don't even have.
The password is "guilty"

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:15 pm

I have two things to confess:

First: I officially have 227 books on my bookshelf, compared to the normal 20 on any other teenagers shelf. Plus the ones strewn around my house... Yeah, I counted. (and on most days, I'm convinced I need more)

And Second: Earlier, someone told me it was April Fool's Day, and I believed them at first. Then I looked at the date on my watch, and realized that it's February 1st not April 1st.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:19 pm

First: I officially have 227 books on my bookshelf, compared to the normal 20 on any other teenagers shelf. Plus the ones strewn around my house... Yeah, I counted. (and on most days, I'm convinced I need more)
What's this normal 20 thing? My books are double stacked and falling off my book case! And my mom is making me give away a box of them because they don't fit and she's moving soon.. =[

But still, that's a pretty nice number!

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:32 pm

We probably have around that many, if not more. And I think we'll have an increase in that number after we visit Powell's tomorrow.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:14 pm

Just looked at our cataloged library (which has about three-quarters of our books): 700+ titles, not including textbooks. Excellent.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:44 pm

I don't know when it happened, but talking to any of my family has become such a chore. No matter the time, medium, subject, nor which one of them it is I'm talking to. Even if it's one of them I like.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:55 pm

I just built a new bookshelf to hold all my DVDs, it's 2 feet wide and 7 feet tall and has nine shelves, at least five of which are double stacked. there's some room on the bottom shelf for some overflow. My living room is now nice and symmetrical

I have an equal sized bookshelf that holds my books, also all double stacked. I now need to build another bookshelf (I'm thinking 3.5ft high by 8 feet long) to hold all the books I still have at my parents that I've yet to bring back to los angeles). all told, I probably have close to 500 DVDs and 500 books, though I think the books may be an underestimate.

And I just completed my Terry Pratchett/discworld hardcover collection yesterday when I finally got a British Hardcover of Hat Full of Sky. :D

unlike Syphon I have not catalogued all my books, (though I have a catalog kid, someone semi-thoughtfully, semi-are-you-for-real? gave me a while back) but I do put all my hardcovers in library mylar.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:15 pm

We've slowly been working on it. The vast majority of them were cataloged when we moved, since I was already packing them, it took a nominal effort to stamp them and enter the ISBN. I did the same with a number of our DVDs. Of course, the closer it got to moving day, the fewer boxes I cataloged (two years later, we still have boxes of books sitting around). And most of what has been purchased or received as a gift since then hasn't been entered.

I'm hoping to have everything finished before we move again, but actually doing so feels onerous when there's nowhere to put them except back in the box.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:52 pm

My friend told me she had about 10 books on her shelf, and 6 of them are picture books. She obviously isn't a book person. And I guess my numbers aren't so incredible here with all of you nerds :P Nah, I'm kidding. I'm a nerd too.

Syphon... You catalogued your books? He, that's kind of cool actually to have so many books you just catalogue them. I suppose if my family combined all of our books (throughout our house we have about 10 huge shelves chock-full of books), we could definitely catalogue them. We also have a bunch of DVDs, but we already have them organized prettily. Instead of keeping all of them in the box on a shelf, we have two big disk cases with pages of sleeves. We have a case for the kiddier stuff and one for the more PG-13 stuff that are both arranged alphabetically.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:50 pm

We need to recatalogue ours. Well, mostly an update. But I figure I've got a hundred-odd books kicking around undocumented, and I've no idea how many Brent has in his file, or how many he's got undocumented.

I'm guessing we're in the ~1600 range, give or take a hundred.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:35 pm

Confession: somewhere, deep within my heart, I'm upset that I've never been told that I look like a celebrity so that I can do this Facebook doppelgangers thing.

Confession^2: well, I haven't been told I look like a celebrity since middle school when the Harry Potter movies came out. But I no longer look like Daniel Radcliffe one iota.

Row--row.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:40 pm

Confession: I feel like I missed a memo, because I have no idea why everyone is changing their profile pictures to celebrities they look like.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:14 am

I didn't go to college and I don't know if I ever will.

I am ashamed of this fact and constantly get embarrassed when it's brought up in casual conversion.

I also think of my friends who have gone to college, and are exactly where I am in life.

I still feel embarrassed.
The password is "guilty"

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Confessions » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:06 am

I always feel like a hypocrite. I tell my kids "get a job" "go to college" "find a nice intelligent spouse". But they always say but you didn't so why should I. I don't know what to say after that!! Help!!
The password is "guilty"

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:17 pm

I feel very tempted to say MY GOD IS BETTER THAN YOUR GOD in the Religion forum.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:47 pm

I didn't go to college and I don't know if I ever will.

I am ashamed of this fact and constantly get embarrassed when it's brought up in casual conversion.

I also think of my friends who have gone to college, and are exactly where I am in life.

I still feel embarrassed.
You can use this to your advantage if you feel like making people feel awkward when they bring this up (you know, to get back at them).

"So, where did you go to college?"
"I didn't go to college. *serious stare*"
*awkward silence*

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:38 pm

On my way up the memberlist (by total posts), I temporarily slowed down my posting so I could see my username by someone else's username for a little bit because it gave me the false, quacky sense that it somehow made me closer to them. And then I realized that's creepy and not so unlike writing G D <3s [username] on my binder, high-school style.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”