Dreams, visions, etc.

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Dreams, visions, etc.

Postby AnthonyByakko » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:59 pm

Driving through an unfamiliar street, in the dead of night, I notice something in the sky ahead of me. It's puzzling; I know it's past midnight, but there before me is the sun. It's burning bright, but darkness is still all around. I get out of the vehicle; I don't seem to have a choice. I'm drawn to stare. Others are as well, coming out of their homes to gaze upwards. But it doesn't stop there - the planets begin to come into view, aligning towards the midnight sun, crowning her in a circle; their shadows playing tricks with what light I can see. Their monstrous forms imposing, space begins to bend around them; the sun burns ever hotter, flares reaching out and scorching the sky around it before the whole ball erupts, setting the planets encircled around it in flame. As the planets burn around the sun, I stumble backwards, back into the car and racing away, trying to get home to be with family before what seems to be the inevitable end of this world. I think, just hold off a few minutes, God; brighter and brighter the flaming cosmic disturbance glows; oh s***, I forgot - HELL!. But before the planet can be doomed to destruction, I wake up.

So. What does it all mean? Lemme tell you, it was far too vivid for my tastes, at least with that particular subject matter.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:17 am

It means: smoking weed is bad :lol:

Seriously now: dreams don't mean anything. They are just constructs of your mind, your creativity, and the best way you can use them is capture some ideas to write stories, draw comics of film movies.

Edit: comments regarding to the physics of your dream: to see a bright sun in the middle of darkness, you would need the atmosphere to have been stripped off the Earth. If not all, a good chunk of it. The kind of circumstances you describe could only be caused by a terrible gravitatory disturbance... that can't happen. Even if the sun had massive enough to implode into black hole, we wouldn't feel a single change, gravitatorily speaking, as long as we were outside the event horizon. When our Sun becomes a red giant, the only gravitatory effect we will feel is a slight decrease in the attraction, and an increase in the friction of our orbit.
Also, gravity acts very slowly, and the changes that happen in your dream hardly can proceed in a few hours. A few years maybe... if you find a way to introduce such powerful gravitatory disturbance.
Last edited by jotabe on Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:25 am

Specifically, jota, it was the influence of sleeping medication I think. Trying to sleep during the day (for night shift job) wreaks havoc on my brain and so I usually use sleep aids. They almost always cause crazy dreams like this one.

BUT, this isn't the first "apocalyptic" dream that I've had, even this month. I frequently dream of themes like war or crime or the end of the world, and it disturbs me. Some people think dreams have meaning, and this makes me wonder if it has any validity, and if so, why mine are so intense and revelatory.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:30 am

Well, maybe you should ask your doctor if this is a normal side effect. I guess it all depends on how much angst they cause. I guess that i would be enjoying the sights, had i such dreams lol.

For physical comments, if you wish to use it for some kind of sci-fi creation, see the edits in my previous post.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:36 am

I have a book I keep with me at work called "10,000 Dreams Interpreted" and it gives a lot of good information on the nature of dreams, the mytho-historical background, and so on. It's arranged so that you look up something you have seen in a dream, and it gives possible meaning (if meaning exists for dreams.)

“If the sun appears weird… there will be stormy and dangerous times, but these will eventually pass.”

“…a weird and uncanny moon denotes unpropitious lovemaking, domestic infelicities, and disappointing enterprises of a business character.”

- 10,000 Dreams Interpreted, G.H. Miller

As to the physical aspects, that seems like a correct description of the situation. However, aren't there other ways in which the sun would appear in a dark sky? If the sun weren't nearly as bright as it currently is, wouldn't our sky appear dark even if the sun were out? I'm not sure about it, luminosity and whatnot isn't my speciality. The planets seemed to align all around the sun; could their gravitation influence cause it? I mean, without getting into some Star Trek style stuff (even though the sky did appear to 'warp' around the phenomema in a weird, dark purple-ish nebula looking thing.)

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:37 am

I had a dream the other night that there was a bear. And it was trying to eat me. It failed.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:39 am

I can distinctly remember 3 dreams in which bears tried to eat me. Uncanny.

Edit: "A bear is significant of overwhelming competition in pursuits of every kind." - 10,000 Dreams Interpreted

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:43 am

It was a black bear. Does that mean my dreams are racist?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:49 am

H_k, it's a pity it wasn't a penguin instead. It would have taught you French.
:D

I can't think of any other circumstance... maybe in world nuclear aftermath, the dust cloud around the planet could cause that, but the Sun would be seen not nearly as bright, almost a faintly bright disc.
Maybe, with all those planets so close, the tidal forces would be huge, so maybe in that moment Earth's atmosphere was very thin in the place you were. This could help with that "warp" visual effect: an undefinite, but very thin atmosphere, potentially changing its shape very quickly, would act as a distorting lens.
It's all i can think of.

Sparrowhawk
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sparrowhawk » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:51 am

It was a black bear. Does that mean my dreams are racist?
no, it just meant the bear wanted your wallet so it could buy some crack.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:53 am

Man, all of those outcomes are pretty depressing...

Although, seeing the sun set every planet in the solar system on fire as it burned during the night was pretty depressing in the first place. I think I'm hanging around the "religion" forum too much, it's giving me Revelations.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:06 am

*rimshot*

Sparrowhawk
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sparrowhawk » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:12 am

at first I thought you said rimjob; then I realized Limegiver didn't come to this board anymore.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:10 am

I had a dream the other night that there was a bear. And it was trying to eat me. It failed.
I had a dream years ago about a polar bear trying to eat me. It was snowing so all that I could see was its eyes and nose, until it bit my hand.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:48 pm

Mine was trying to get at me through a door, but i shut the door on its face. How it got on the second story of an apartment building, I don't know.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:12 pm

at first I thought you said rimjob; then I realized Limegiver didn't come to this board anymore.
It's good to have you back, Otaku.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:25 pm

I wonder... Did you really believe that I was Otaku, Jeebs? I recall at that time I was playing the role of Sparrow and AB to great effect. I never did figure out if I had really pulled it off or not.

On another note, looking back at those days was like stepping back into a time machine. I'm not the same person I was (or was pretending to be) anymore, but damn...
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:39 pm

I think for a short time I believed the Sparrowhawk username was being used by Otaku returned, but I don't think it was too long before I discovered it was you (most likely by you or HA telling me). But I'm not sure if I was being serious in that post, or if I was speaking to your reimagining of Otaku, it having been three years ago and all.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:45 pm

Good times. I never did have the killer instinct to play both roles for long. Soon enough though we'll fire up the ol' fun machine and give it another go. See what we can come up with, this time with no facade. Gird your loins.

Crazy Tom: C Toon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:45 pm

eh. Have any of you dreamt your own death? I have, twice now in the past couple months. In the first, im driving with some friends, a tornado hits from nowhere, and the car is picked up, slammed down, then slowly folded over me. I remember honestly thinking I was dead because of how real it was. In the second, I'm watching a little kids play, I walk away, then I'm in this room, and a little kid, playfully, slashes me with a knife. I get mad, try to take it from him, and he just keeps cutting me up till I'm bleeding my life out on the floor. I'm not on any medication or doing any drugs, but I seem to be getting lots of vivid dreams of my death. comments?
Under the spreading chesnut tree
I sold you and you sold me:
There they lie, and here lie we
Under the spreading chesnut tree.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:04 am

Try not to wake up during or right after the dream, you won't remember a thing :wink:
God, am i a poet or what!

But, onto the meaning of the dream, it means you should stop being conservative and start supporting Hillary Clinton instead.
True story.

Edit: ok, ill give an appropriate answer :oops: there is nothing to be worried about because of weird and vivid dreams. Nothing at all. Being vivid or not just depends on which sleep stage you are IIRC. And remembering depends on how close to waking up they take you.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:45 am

It's weird, I don't dream(or remember them, since I remember hearing that we dream every night, but just can't remember).

The last time I dreamt was before going back to school, either after Thanksgiving or the beginning.

However, I wish I could dream. Even a nightmare would suffice.
It just makes me seem like I'm missing out on something that everyone does.

Not to mention, I might just start back up my research and attempted practice of controlling my mind, when I'm dreaming, if I got some indication that I'd be dreaming a significant amount of the time.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:16 am

It really is a lot of fun if you can control your mind while you dream. It's like living in the matrix: do whatever the heck you want simply by controlling your mind to let you.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:01 pm

CezeN, have you read the short story "The Threshold"? I haven't read all of it, just a passage in a practice ACT, but here's a quote that reminded me of you just now.
The woman never dreams and this makes her intensely miserable. She thinks that by not dreaming, she is unaware of things about herself that dreams would surely give her. She doesn't have the door of dreams that opens every night to question certainties of the day. She stays at the threshold, and the door is always closed, refusing her entrance. I tell her that in itself is a dream, a nightmare: to be in front of a door which will not open no matter how much we push at the latch or pound the knocker. But in truth, the door to that nightmare doesn't have a latch or a knocker; it is total surface, brown, high and smooth as a wall. Our blows strike a body without an echo.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:12 pm

Find a book on lucid dreaming. Helped me.

I practice all the time and have good success in recalling/becoming aware in dreams.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:19 pm

CezeN, have you read the short story "The Threshold"? I haven't read all of it, just a passage in a practice ACT, but here's a quote that reminded me of you just now.
The woman never dreams and this makes her intensely miserable. She thinks that by not dreaming, she is unaware of things about herself that dreams would surely give her. She doesn't have the door of dreams that opens every night to question certainties of the day. She stays at the threshold, and the door is always closed, refusing her entrance. I tell her that in itself is a dream, a nightmare: to be in front of a door which will not open no matter how much we push at the latch or pound the knocker. But in truth, the door to that nightmare doesn't have a latch or a knocker; it is total surface, brown, high and smooth as a wall. Our blows strike a body without an echo.
Well, except for the "intensly miserable" part, that sounds about right.

And Satya, I just don't see hte point of it. I mean, when I researched, it was about realizing you're dreaming while in the dream.
If I don't even get to the "threshhold", is there any point?
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:11 pm

Ok, if there are any shrinks or anything; anybody that studies dreams, please help. I just dreampt, for like the third time in a couple months, my death. I have not had any previous dreams about death, and I have not changed my diet. I am also not on any drugs or medication. Any explination?

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:17 am

No explanation. Dreams mean nothing. If you dream once about something that upsets you, and you are unlucky enough to remember it, and it starts worrying you to the point you have it in the back of your mind, your chances to make it recurrent increase, of course.

But really, dreams mean nothing. Noone communicates with us through them, not even our subconscious, if such thing existed.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:08 am

cool story bro

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:48 am

pot, kettle... you know how it goes
:roll:
Feeling in a trolly mood lately, Satya?

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:14 pm

Ok, if there are any shrinks or anything; anybody that studies dreams, please help. I just dreampt, for like the third time in a couple months, my death. I have not had any previous dreams about death, and I have not changed my diet. I am also not on any drugs or medication. Any explination?
Deep down, you want to sleep with your mother.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:32 pm

pot, kettle... you know how it goes
:roll:
Feeling in a trolly mood lately, Satya?
I heard you like mudkips

Soldier
Soldier

Postby Crazy Tom: C Toon » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:46 pm

I don't actually fear death, and I discovered this when I actually thought I had died. (I suspected so before, but I had no way to prove it until I died in my dream.)

Death doesn't worry me, and I don't really think about it except when I recall these dreams.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Carrot hamburgler

Postby Graff^ » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Is it bad that you dreamed that you bled in a field covered in white roses turning red?
Where does friendship end and love begin?

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:52 pm

Yes, it's bad. Terrible. You're probably going to kill everyone you care about.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”