PWEB Portraits 2.0

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:39 am

Congrats!
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:58 am

I love it :D Congrats
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:11 am

a portrait of my apartment, or at least the living room/kitchen.

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:16 am

I can see similarities but Paul's brother looks better.

And Jeebsy, I hate you a little bit; you're like Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way. a******.

:wink:
Perfect? That's ridiculous. I don't have giant bat-wings, or the ability to shoot lasers out of my eyes, or gills, or any of that cool stuff. I don't even have three arms so I can clap and punch someone at the same time.

No, I'm pretty far from perfect, Alea.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:52 am

That is such a pretty ring! I love the simple ones the best.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:53 am

It's a very pretty ring! Congratulations!

Your apartment is pretty too Adam, I guess :P
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:39 pm

Lovely ring, Kirsten. :)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:55 am

So, I went out the other day looking for some dressy clothes for interviews and such, bought something a little different (for me) so I took a picture...

Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:14 pm

I wish your tie was more visible; I think I'd like that.

Also, it's a bit strange seeing you with longer and more hair but strange in a pleasant way. Lookin' sharp, and bright, Cameron.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:21 pm

Awww, Kirsten!
-Kim

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:01 am

Thanks, everyone!

I love it, so I can't help showing it off :)

It's far and away the nicest piece of jewelry I've ever owned. So, it felt really weird wearing it with sweatshirts and jeans all weekend (we went to a small local amusement park on Saturday to kind of celebrate.) Mom says I'll get used to it, and I'm sure I will, but I'm still in the self-conscious, can't-stop-staring-at-it phase.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:24 am

Elf...I hate to say it but you're kicking my picture-posting ass.

You know how some people get a glow from being pregnant? I get that way from Chicago; we're in love, you know.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/ ... V34321.jpg
Darn you for having two weeks to pull a lead! That's a very nice picture though :) Where in Chicago did you find such amazing greenery?

Jeebs: I spotted those cunningly disguised lazer eyes instantly. Now your lie is revealed:

anyway, this isn't strictly me, but I took it across the road from my driveway when I was home for Columbus day weekend.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:44 pm

Where in Chicago did you find such amazing greenery?
It's in the Loop. More precisely, it is a garden just south of the Art Institute on Michigan Ave. It is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful little areas I've been in.

But apparently I haven't been to your driveway. Wow. I'm jealous.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:41 pm

My driveway is a beautiful big area ;) 1/4 mile+

But it's nice to know there a little pockets of greenery scattered around for you urbanites to enjoy. If I ever end up in a city, I hope they have something like that to keep me sane.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:52 pm

But it's nice to know there a little pockets of greenery scattered around for you urbanites to enjoy. If I ever end up in a city, I hope they have something like that to keep me sane.
The chances of that are very high. There is a very interesting history behind green spaces (parks) in American urban areas, with Central Park in NYC being an early example of urban planners seeing the need to set aside green space for residents. There are different styles, so to speak, of parks that emerged over some distinct periods of thought over the years so some cities not only have the more common, smaller sized parks of more recent times but have the large, strolling parks (such as the aforementioned Central Park) of the "put open space in cities" hey days. Then there are also avenues, lined with trees and the like, that came into popularity about the same time, for much the same reasons.

Strangely enough, we covered this for my major and although I've lost quite a few of the details, I still find the topic fascinating.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:33 pm

Have grown out hair and beard since these 2 were taken in August, but otherwise pretty much it. Trying to get under 170 (80 kg for you limies or 12.5 stone, whatever the hell that is) before Jan 1. From where I used to be 2-3 years ago, 250 to 275... well it's a helluva lot nicer. Also have a bet that I will not shave until the new year as well. I'm guessing from where it's at now after 3 weeks, I'll end up somewhere between ZZ Top and Grizzly Adams.
Image[/img]
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:41 pm

In my Gi before martial arts class; Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:43 pm

s*** me that's some change. Looking ripped man.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Huh, I used to do some taijutsu a few years back, before I moved. I quite like its approach.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:19 pm

It's what I would consider one of the "good" martial arts. Of course, I take it because the teachers are good, both very open minded and use whatever techniques will work, regardless of what art/country it may have originated in or what it looks like. We fall under the heading of Dr Masaaki Hatsumi's Bujinkan, a school of Ninjutsu. Our particular dojo has the attitude of "If it works, it is Ninjutsu."

The man himself: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x60qoh ... sumi_sport

Our dojo (Kyodai-na Karasu, "Mighty Raven") site: http://ninpowisconsin.homestead.com/ninpowisconsin.html

My avatar is our insignia.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:44 pm

Today, with my gun.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:11 pm

Ahem. Okay, I'll bite on this one: yowzer. Like the hair grown out to that length and like the facial hair.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:35 pm

Thankee kindly. I've never grown my hair or facial hair out, really. It's always been a close shave and a short buzz. I only did it on a bet but I kind of like it and other people seem to as well. I might keep it. The color is a little weird though, my hair is medium brown, looks darker the longer it gets, but my facial hair is a mix of brown and almost gold-colored hair. I'll have to see what it looks like when it's thicker and fuller. Maybe I'll compete in those beard contests.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:42 pm

uhmm.... guns are scary.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:34 am

Glad to see you exercise your right to keep and bear arms! 8)

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:18 am

Guns ARE scary. But lots of things are scary. Carnival rides. and SATs and job interviews and visiting in-laws. It doesn't stop us from doing those things. And lots of other things are scary too. Zombies. Politicians. Murderers. Rapists. Rioters. Looters. Thieves. You know what they all have in common? A weakness to bullets. I'm a lot less scared of my gun, which I alone have access to and keep in a controlled, locked environment when not in use and which I am practiced and well versed in said use, than I am of any of the aforementioned list. Yes, guns are scary. They're weapons. That's their purpose. I want the other guy(s) to be afraid when they see me point it at them. And I'll be afraid as well - that's for the best. I don't want to shoot someone. But if the choice is them or me... I'll stuff them with mud.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:31 am

... in-laws...
Also have a weakness to bullets.

I'm just saying...

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:45 pm

Maybe we need a gun control thread...
Homer: A gun is not a weapon, Marge! It's a tool. Like a butcher's knife or a harpoon or... uh, a... an alligator. You just need more education on the subject.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:31 pm

Tsk tsk... so many videogames have distorted your perception of reality: Zombies don't have a weakness to bullets.
Shotguns on the other hand...

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:58 pm

Yea, everyone knows a shot from a handgun will only buy you one backstep from a zombie. Just enough of a head start to make it to your barricaded location with seconds to spare to lock the entrance down before their grasping hands get a chance to tear your jaw from your skull.

Sure, a handgun will save you from your garden variety menaces, but if you don't have a shotgun, or at least a chainsaw, you can forget about surviving any impending zombie apocalypses. FACT.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:17 pm

Yea, everyone knows a shot from a handgun will only buy you one backstep from a zombie. Just enough of a head start to make it to your barricaded location with seconds to spare to lock the entrance down before their grasping hands get a chance to tear your jaw from your skull.

Sure, a handgun will save you from your garden variety menaces, but if you don't have a shotgun, or at least a chainsaw, you can forget about surviving any impending zombie apocalypses. FACT.
.50 cal DE.

And of course, in the case of a zombie apocalypse, you're going to have a shotgun anyways.

And you have to have a melee weapon, they never run out of ammo. Chainsaw, aluminum baseball bat, etc. I prefer katana. Once you cut off the head, what's the zombie gonna do? It has to bite you to turn you. Good for vampires, too.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:41 pm

Well I suppose it depends on the manner in which the zombies have been turned into these walking soulless terrors. If some kind of disease that severely affects their behaviour is the cause and they still require a brain to fulfill their endless desire for delicious human flesh, then sure a katana to the neck could do the job.

However, f they've been magically reanimated then cutting off the head will stop them biting you, but it won't step them holding you down while the rest of the legion of unholy lichen feast on your innards like spaghetti bolognese. You'll have to cut off the legs to effectively reduce their threat, and for cutting through two big, tough, undead thighs, I think I'd pick a chainsaw over a katana.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Also, a katana requires a certain level of training. So I would hope that in general my fellow survivors that I've joined up with are equipped with chainsaws, as it's unlikely they would have the appropriate ability to dispatch such a nightmarish monster with a sword.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Well, I would have to assume that amongst the survivors of a zombie horror are going to be a large number of martial artists, proportionately distributed among the most deadly arts. Therefore, there should be a good number of highly capable fighters to wield the cold steel of a blade. Granted, your run of the mill rednecks and survivalists will last the first wave as well, what with their propensity for firearms and a shoot-first-ask-questions-later attitude, and they can handle the chain-sawing duties.

Secondly, I would assume this scenario depicts your standard zombie uprising - mindless, soulless cannibals with some manner of brain-damage or neurological virus driving their impulse to feast on the flesh of the living. Therefore (under standard zombie-ology) a severed head renders them incapacitated. Double-tap to the head with most firearms will do as well. Single good blast with a shotty is the gold-standard, of course. Anything that effectively severs the connection between the grasping, wretching limbs and the corrupted brain. The other kind of zombie you mention seems to imply some kind of magical influence, like a necromancer or voodoo, in which case, you skip the reanimated undead and go straight for the source.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:59 pm

Last edited by CezeN on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Return to “Milagre Town Square”