High School Reunions

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

High School Reunions

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:57 pm

For those of you who are old enough to even consider: would you go to or have you gone to a high school reunion?

It's still a few years until my ten year but my school already has a myspace page for people to reconnect before the actual reunion and most of my friends are really excited about the page and the reunion. One friend is like me and has not only not joined the myspace page, we're both serious about not wanting to go. If either of us do, it'll be because the others have pressured us into it.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:26 am

over 20 years... and haven't gone to even one!
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:57 am

I still keep in touch, and occasionally hang out with most of my close friends from high school. There's not really a need for me to go to a reunion when I see most of them a few times a year.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:56 am

I'd definitely go, but I haven't heard a single peep. I have a couple years to go until 10, though.

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:03 am

I will probably never go to a reunion. Yuck. I didn't keep in touch with anyone and I'm happy to keep it that way. Besides, most of my friends in high school were either a year younger or a year older than me.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:14 am

The suburb I grew up in is so enthusiastic we actually had a 5 year reunion for my class back in 2005, which I did attend--much against my will.

It was not nearly as bad as I anticipated, but I think it depends a lot on the mentality of your class. For example: my 5 year reunion took place in the back room of a pub in Boston, which we all rented out. There were darts and a pool table. We all wore jeans and drank pitchers. We sat around on barstool and reminisced about who cheated off who in junior English or whether or not so and so are still dating. Everyone was fresh out of college and still fumbling around the mechanics of adulthood. The girls all looked a millions times better (even the ones who were gorgeous to begin with) and the guys INVARIABLY looked worse. It was good natured, and amusing and I actually enjoyed myself quite a bit.

My best friends from high school (with whom I am still exceedingly close) are predominantly from the classes both directly above and below me, with only one or two of my very good friend being in my own graduating class so I actually didn't keep in touch with most of the kids in my class. It was nice to hang out with them again in a laid-back venue for one evening.

The year below me, however, had a completely different mentality. And when they had THEIR 5 year reunion they rented out a banquet hall and everyone dressed to the nines and danced and drunkenly hooked up with one another in the coat closet (absolutely 100% true).

I'll go to my next one, sure. I think it will be more interesting since people will actually have done something different by then. The last time I saw a lot of those people was at graduation, and there everyone is like: "I'm about to go to this college!" And five years later, all that's really changed is that now people are saying: "I just recently graduated from this college!"

Yeah. I rambled a lot up there, didn't I?

Anyway. I say go for it. A lot of the old pretenses fall away since you're not locked up with these people five days a week for 12 straight years anymore. It's a lot more comfortable and enjoyable than I thought it would be. I had a good time. So, hell, give it a shot.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:35 pm

My ten year was in 2004 and I thought about going but it seemed lame. It was at a rented banquet place and fancy and stuff. And there is really no one that I wanted to see. So, yeah, I guess it's all just a matter of if you WANT to. Some people are into it and some aren't.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:23 pm

I am not in touch with anyone I was friends with in high school.

I went to one high school reunion - the only one I ever heard about. Most of the people I was friends with in high school were not there. There was one person I was friends with and I spent most of the time hanging out with her and her husband. There were a couple of other people who I was somewhat friendly with and we did chat. I had an amusing time sharing stories with a woman who I had known from cheerleader tryouts (neither of us had made the squad). The people I hadn't gotten along with in high school I mostly still didn't get along with. Although one guy that I had only known marginally in high school asked me to dance and we had a good time.

One former high school overachiever, now a high-powered lawyer, blew me off the moment I mentioned that I was a stay-at-home mom (which I was, at the time) - and frankly, I felt the same way about her. :P

I found out that one woman who had graduated from high school with me is now married to the owner of the garage where we have been getting our car repaired for years and years. One Friday afternoon, after the reunion, my husband went to pay for a car repair. He was in our second car. Mrs. Garage Owner followed him home in one of our cars while he drove the other, so we wouldn't have to make a separate trip to pick up the car. I told him I went to high school with her and offered to show him her picture in my yearbook. He said, "She won't look the same." I said, "She looks exactly the same, just a little heavier." After he saw the picture, he had to agree.

That's my high school reunion experience.

Apparently there had been other reunions of my high school class before the one I went to, but I never heard about them. After the one I went to, there was a cruise reunion for several graduating classes including mine, but I couldn't afford it. Since then I have heard nothing about any high school reunions for my class, despite scanning the neighborhood section of my paper where these things are commonly listed. (One wonders why I keep looking for them, considering my experience the last time. :P)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:26 pm

I didn't realize that reunions could be so fancy. I still have awhile before any of mine come up, but if it's anything fancy, I probably wouldn't go. Otherwise... maybe. I still keep in touch with some people (we'll see how long that lasts...), so it could be fun.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:32 pm

I hang out with my high school friends about once a week when I'm home. I have no desire to see any of the other people I went to high school with.

If we have a 5 year, I won't go. If we have a 10 year, I probably won't go. I'm just not interested. I didn't like high school and see no reason to go hang out with a bunch of people I didn't like then and probably won't like now.
-Kim

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:49 pm

I really don't foresee going to a high school reunion. I have little interest in most everybody I went to school with, and I am still in contact with those few exceptions. Really, the people who track me down on Facebook are more of a high school reunion than I ever particularly wanted.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:15 am

There are three people I care about from high school. One is my best friend, one is a friend I wish I knew better but can talk to anytime, in theory, and one refuses to talk to me. A high school reunion doesn't appeal.

High school wasn't particularly fun.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:39 am

This seems like a common thread. Did everyone here hate high school or something? While I am a firm believer of the "life gets better after high school" saying, high school was still pretty fun. Is it common for most people to hate the experience?

dgf hhw

charles
Launchie
Launchie

Postby charles » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:02 am

My school was fairly small, so I'm not so sure it will make for a good reunion. I keep contact with the people I want to anyway.
"I consider myself a perpetual English major, but I also get into bar fights." - Ted Leo

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:44 am

Did everyone here hate high school or something?
I certainly didn't hate high school, but it wasn't a great time either. My best friend went to high school with me but I already knew him from before that. I met my college roommate in high school, we became really close in college, but he has changed and I don't talk to him as often anymore. Other than that, I really don't have any friends from high school. Maybe I talk to some online every once in a while or bump into someone when out at the bar, which is fun to do, but that is about it.

As for a reunion, I think I would probably go depending on where it is. Because like I said, it is fun when I bump into my old friends from high school.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:27 am

I didn't hate high school but the part I enjoyed was the learning and classes and stuff. I did NOT enjoy the social crap. Most of the close friends I had were from outside of school. so the few people in school that I was friendly with were just for during school hours and it didn't extend much beyond that. I was quite happy to be done with high school.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:06 am

Exactly, Luet.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:33 am

This seems like a common thread. Did everyone here hate high school or something? While I am a firm believer of the "life gets better after high school" saying, high school was still pretty fun. Is it common for most people to hate the experience?

Actually, I thought high school was pretty fun, too. My social life in high school was great. I wasn't super popular, but I was well-liked; I had good friends, two steady relationships (over the course of four years--not at the same time!), good grades, and was the president of every extracurricular activity ever.

My home life is what completely crashed and burned in high school. Anytime I wasn't in school--I had to be at home. And that was NOT where I wanted to be. Which may be why I became so social during those years.

Middle school, on the other hand... ::::shivers::::

Social HELL. There is no one meaner in the world than pre-teen girls. No one. I HATED middle school.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:23 pm

I enjoyed highschool, and it makes me sort of sad that people didnt like it.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:39 pm

Middle school, on the other hand... ::::shivers::::
Agreed.

I didn't hate high school either, but I found that soon after high school all my relationships from there dissolved. I didn't like my life much in high school, but it wasn't because of the people there. I'm just not keen on the idea of hanging out with a bunch of people I don't know and don't really plan on making life-long friendships with.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:43 pm

Middle school was probably my favorite of all! HS was okay, but I was "new" the first year (we moved half way across the country), and I went to Sweden in the third year, so...
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:14 pm

I enjoyed highschool, and it makes me sort of sad that people didnt like it.
Me too. Honestly, best years of my life so far. My high school friendships are still the strongest ones I have.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:37 pm

It isn't that I didn't enjoy high school... I mean, I didn't love it, but I didn't really hate it, either...

I just have no desire to see most of the people there ever again. And the ones I want to see, I still do see. (Every thursday night that I'm at home...)

Middle school was horrible, however.
-Kim

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:02 pm

I was happy enough in high school, but after I got to college I realized how superficial all of my high school relationships were. I still hang out with my best friend from high school when we're both home and when neither of us are busy which isn't that often, and there are a few I see every now and then, but I don't make much of an effort.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:07 pm

I didn't hate high school but the part I enjoyed was the learning and classes and stuff. I did NOT enjoy the social crap. Most of the close friends I had were from outside of school. so the few people in school that I was friendly with were just for during school hours and it didn't extend much beyond that. I was quite happy to be done with high school.
Hmm, I've never really enjoyed classes (anything else is still a rather odd idea to me), so perhaps my friendships formed in those years were just a result of common suffering. People I knew seemed pretty much the same way.... Heh, maybe you like high school.... if you hate high school?

Apologies for derailment!

dgf hhw

Olhado_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Just Another Chris

Postby Olhado_ » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:03 am

I plan to go to my 10 year reunion, in a few years, and I am even debating about going to an informally reunion, next weekend, which was organized through Facebook.

For me High School was one of my worst times; but I have also done a lot of growing since then, so I look forward to showing people that and seeing how much they have grown as well.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:42 pm

I too agree that middle school was far more hellish than HS. Maybe this is more true for girls than guys, due to the reasons Kelly said.

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:23 pm

I had a lot of fun at my 5-year High School Reunion. I'll probably go every time that we have one. I knew nearly half the people there. It was kind of depressing that I was still single, and a lot of my High School friends were married.

I liked High School. It was the first time that people liked me, and no one made fun of me. I didn't get depressed so easy in High School as in Elementary and Jr. High. People probably didn't see me as popular, unless they were to find out how many people knew me. I get along well with different types of people, so I ended up knowing a good portion of my graduating class. If only I understood how to date back then ...

However, I only kept up with a few close friends, so its good for us to all get together again.
A signature so short, it's
Slim

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:35 pm

My 10 year is this upcoming year. 2008.

No.

Absolutely not.

I would rather be forced to chew tinfoil while listening to recordings of people noisily chewing alternating with fingernails down blackboards.

I hated high school. Events since high school have caused me to hate my former home town. And I can't stand the idea of being surrounded by people who are either actually succussful and prettier than me or people who are still working at Walmart, but feel more successful than me due to marriage and children.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

NO.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Return to “Milagre Town Square”