Ignacio Ramos & Jose Compean

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Ignacio Ramos & Jose Compean

Postby Bevis » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:31 am

http://news.google.com/news?svnum=10&as ... earch+News

These two border patrol agents have recently been sentenced to 11 & 12 years in prison for shooting a man who was trying to smuggle drugs into the U.S. I can't find any news stories from when it actually happened. All of the ones I've read about the sentencing imply the two were acting well within reason. Currently, there is a lot of push towards Bush to pardon the two agents. I've included a link below to a petition through grassfire to be sent to Bush requesting just that. If anyone has anymore info on this or remembers hearing of the incident when it actually happened in 2005 please post it here.

http://www.grassfire.org/142/petition.a ... 6439&NID=1

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:43 am

So they only injured him, and they're in prison for over ten years? Come on! Hell, sex offenders have gotten less time. That's just ridiculous. I may not agree with some of the measures being taken in regards to border patrol, but shooting a drug seller in the butt is not a prison worthy offense.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:30 pm

I hadn't heard about this case before, but I clicked on the first link in your Google News list and read the proudly biased account of a discussion of the shooting on Fox.

Now, from that link I'm led to understand firstly that they didn't know they were shooting a drug smuggler, which means this has to be taken out of account when considering their actions, and secondly that they shot him in the back.

I do think the sentence was extremely harsh considering the fact that the drug smuggler sounds barely injured, but I don't think they were undeserving of jail time.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”