Perceived intelligence

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
eggbalancer
Launchie
Launchie

Perceived intelligence

Postby eggbalancer » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:04 pm

While typing a response to my wife's topic, I came to the realization that I communicate differently in text form than I do verbally. I use much bigger words when I'm typing, and generally use longer sentences as well. And I definitely use a lot more commas.
Sometimes I worry that people who only know me through reading my posts will think I'm overly intellectual and have a dry sense of humor. But I'm not. And I don't.

Does anyone else notice that about themselves? Or do you try to sound exactly the same while typing as you would if you were speaking? And is "in person" different than "over the phone?"
"I probably wouldn't pillage someone for just their wallet."

Ithilien
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ithilien » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:39 pm

Strangely yes! I think its harder to notice it with myself, but I sometimes reread my posts and start to think I sound a lot nastier than I ever intend to be.

Mostly, I have noticed it with a good friend of mine. We go to school together and are part of the same forum. When we start passing notes to each other in the middle of class, its like her forum persona revived - like a different person with a different tone of voice. I feel like I'm responding to her username rather than herself!
"You can't dig a hole and then hide the dirt in the hole you dug. Then it wouldn't be a hole anymore!"

- on secret tunnelling, Empire

"I cannot eat these two eggs. They are completely different sizes!"

- Hercule Poirot

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:14 pm

A recent study found that brevity is often interpreted as intelligence.

Ithilien
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ithilien » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Shakespeare can attest to that.
"You can't dig a hole and then hide the dirt in the hole you dug. Then it wouldn't be a hole anymore!"

- Hercule Poirot

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:44 pm

I have a deep loathing of Shakespeare.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Ithilien
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ithilien » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:48 pm

Before, met too, but Midsummer Night's Dream changed my mind about him. But Romeo and Juliet...everyone in my class couldn't stop rolling our eyes at their death. How tragic are today's youth?

- Hercule Poirot

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:51 pm

Really? Romeo and Juliet is the only one that I really liked.

Ok, so I just like the Leonardo DiCaprio/Claire Danes movie, but that's as close as it's going to get.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Ithilien
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ithilien » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:56 pm

Mmm, the movie is good. Better than the Midsummer one (despite Christian Bale being in it). But most of my class remained relatively untouched by the romance. We claim to be more practical people and less inclined to kill ourselves for some other person.

- Hercule Poirot

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:08 pm

I find I can gather and articulate my thoughts better in writing/typing. Typing basically eliminates speech errors, which I'm (irrationally) insecure about. I like the written me better than the spoken one -- sometimes the latter just sounds stupid, or makes points that she can't follow up. Ugh.

As for Shakespeare... you know, I read The Taming of the Shrew in high school, and I got a B on the short report I had to write on it. Apparently I didn't understand that it wasn't actually sexist... but then again my teacher wasn't that bright. I haven't re-read it, so I still don't know whether I mis-interpreted it or she did. :P Anybody have any input?
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:09 pm

I always liked Macbeth.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Ithilien
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ithilien » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:48 pm

Anybody have any input?
Only on English teachers. I have a personal vendetta against the ones in my school.

I thought Macbeth was okay. I thought the forest bit was a little predictable, but the witches were fun.

- Hercule Poirot

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:40 pm

I always liked Macbeth.

*turns around three times, spits over shoulder* "Angels and ministers of grace defend us"
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:54 pm

Last time I checked, this isn't a theatre.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Locke_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Fill in the Blank

Postby Locke_ » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:55 pm

I think I tend to ype how I talk. I would have said that sentence. And that one. And most of my good friends can tell by the way i'm IMing what kind of mood i'm in.
It is not the sound of victory;
it is not the sound of defeat;
it is the sound of singing that I hear.
-Moses

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:56 pm

ype?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Locke_
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Fill in the Blank

Postby Locke_ » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:57 pm

Yeah I wouldve said ype instead of type.

It's exam time. And I'm tired. :P
It is not the sound of victory;
it is not the sound of defeat;
it is the sound of singing that I hear.
-Moses

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Virlomi » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:20 pm

Well, I write in horrifically long run on sentences strung together with heaps of comas which are in no way gramatically correct... and I talk in almost exactly the same way, in outragously long speeches with tiny bits of breath to break them up, but never long enough that anyone could add a word in edgewise, as I'm sure any pwebber who's talked to me will happily agree. I tend to use larger words when I'm speaking though, not because I attempt to change my speech but because when I go to type them I'm sure I'm spelling them wrong, and lord knows my spelling is bad enough already without adding enormous words into the mix, so I backspace and spend a good while trying to find some way to say what I want to that I can spell correctly. Pathetic, I know.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:24 pm

Shakespeare can attest to that.
In the words of Polonius, anyway. And we all know the Solomon that he is...
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Cleetus
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Cleetus » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:50 pm

peeples sez to me dat i does typs smarter den I do talks
Most folk will never eat a skunk but then again some folk'll, like Cleetus the slack-jawed yokel.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:26 pm

I really have an odd way writing posts and IMs...as you can see I have that whole '...' thing going on...I didn't always do it...I don't know how it started...I don't remember when it started...but it is just habit now...it takes a lot of effort to not do this when writing papers or emails to professors or anything that is somewhat important...yeah so...

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:35 pm

I think I'm more aggressive in type than in person.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:09 pm

I think I am definitely more calculated when I type than when I speak. I think a lot more about what I am saying and tend to review, edit, and try to catch typos.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

eggbalancer
Launchie
Launchie

Postby eggbalancer » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:52 pm

I think I am definitely more calculated when I type than when I speak. I think a lot more about what I am saying and tend to review, edit, and try to catch typos.
I'd have to agree with that phraseology...if that's a word. I take the time to use the exact wording that I want to use while I'm typing. While speaking, however (and my wife will attest to this) I pretty much say what I think I'm thinking the way that it happens to come out...and then spend several sentences...if not weeks...trying to repair the damage.

And thanks for creating a separate Shakespeare thread. I was starting to wonder that only the first couple of replies were actually going to be about my original topic. So thanks for "re-railing" my topic. :)

And Virlomi cracks me up. :lol:
"I probably wouldn't pillage someone for just their wallet."

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Virlomi » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:10 am

Aww. :oops: :D Thanks!

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:32 am

I tend to have a hard time typing the way that I talk. When I start typing anything longer than what I'd say on IM, my brain automatically switches into "paper-writing mode", so I come out sounding really formal.

Also, Hamlet is amazing.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sibyl » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:38 am

A recent study found that brevity is often interpreted as intelligence.
"It is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

That isn't original, but I can't remember who said it.
It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Sibyl

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:36 am

So my tendency towards shorter posts proves I'm a genius? I'm sure my ego would love to hear that.
Well, I write in horrifically long run on sentences strung together with heaps of comas which are in no way gramatically correct... and I talk in almost exactly the same way, in outragously long speeches with tiny bits of breath to break them up, but never long enough that anyone could add a word in edgewise, as I'm sure any pwebber who's talked to me will happily agree. I tend to use larger words when I'm speaking though, not because I attempt to change my speech but because when I go to type them I'm sure I'm spelling them wrong, and lord knows my spelling is bad enough already without adding enormous words into the mix, so I backspace and spend a good while trying to find some way to say what I want to that I can spell correctly. Pathetic, I know.
Yep yep yep, but you're cute so it's ok. ;)
The enemy's fly is down.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”