Upgrades

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Tech_zeroguy
Techie
Techie

Upgrades

Postby Tech_zeroguy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:38 am

So, a few things:
  • I upgraded phpbb to the current version, 3.1.9.
  • I installed the American English language pack, and set it to the default. I was annoyed that British English was the only option.
  • Our old style broke, because it was for phpbb 3.0.x, and doesn't work for 3.1.x. Sorry. I just modified the default style to put the old header image in. It doesn't look great just kinda plopped in there, but at least the image is still there?
  • Registration has changed so that new users require admin approval (this is all "techies", mods, and Gravity Defier, I think?). This is to avoid the near-constant spam stuff, since we don't exactly get many legit new users. Maybe we should just turn off new registration or something, I dunno.
If anyone would like to help modify the style or figure out a better antispam system or something, let me know. The best way to do that is probably to contact Gravity Defier :) . I don't see an easy-to-install phpbb module for google's reCaptchav2, or else I would have just used that. (The current module is for the old reCaptcha system, which is broken by bots as far as I know.)

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re: Upgrades, and signup changes

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:55 am

Thanks Zero! The site looks pretty great! You could maybe change the color behind the banner image to be darker and that would probably make it blend better... idk.

As for new user sign up, the constant spam is a problem, but I wouldn't turn off registration altogether... if only for the selfish reason of my girlfriend is working her way through the series and I want to bring her on when she finishes. Honestly though, I think its good that we get the occasional new blood, even if it is a rare occurrence.

Oh, also: are we going to bring back chat at any point? if we don't plan on doing it officially, I might try get a room started offsite and just link to it in the battleroom for people to hang out.
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Tech_zeroguy
Techie
Techie

Postby Tech_zeroguy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:16 am

Oh, also: are we going to bring back chat at any point? if we don't plan on doing it officially, I might try get a room started offsite and just link to it in the battleroom for people to hang out.
Looking around the old site files, I found what I think was the chat software we were using, and installed it to chat/. Does that look right?

I'll maybe look at the header and colors and such when it's not 2am. We did endure that mysterious screaming woman up there for years, though, so maybe this isn't so bad.
Last edited by Tech_zeroguy on Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:16 am

Thanks Man!

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:38 pm

Holy schmolios, this is quite the change. Thank you!
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:18 am

Nice! Thank you for your hard work.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:14 am

This was certainly a surprise to sign on to! Thanks for continuing to keep us running.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Thanks for all the behind-the-scenes work that you do for us, zero!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:59 pm

Wow!!! Thanks! Is the mobile site new, or have I somehow avoided using it all this time?

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:54 pm

Thanks for the upgrade! Looks good!

Is it possible to get a lighter background color for the index page? I find the blue a bit hard on my eyes.
Pweb member since 2000

Tech_zeroguy
Techie
Techie

Postby Tech_zeroguy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:53 pm

Wow!!! Thanks! Is the mobile site new, or have I somehow avoided using it all this time?
The new install of phpbb has better mobile support ("more responsive"). Or it's just the new theme maybe; regardless, I assume it's new.
Is it possible to get a lighter background color for the index page? I find the blue a bit hard on my eyes.
I changed a couple of things, but I don't know too much about what I'm doing. Is this any better, worse, or the same? I'm not sure if I get what specific color you're talking about, though; all the blues seem very light to me. Like pastels.

Also, you can change what theme appears for you by looking in your preferences. If you click your username in the top-right of the page, and click "User Control Panel", then go to "Board Preferences", then see "My board style". (Or click this link, and look for "My board style".) prosilver_pweb is the current default and the only one I spent any real time with, but you could try the others to see if any are less aggravating.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:51 pm

Thanks for changing the background color on the banner panel area. Looks much better. :kisses:
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:09 pm

I just wanted to let everyone know that we've had three attempts at registration since zero changed things around, and I've been contacting them individually to try to verify they're people, not bots. So far, one has not responded and the other resulted in a delivery failure. The most recent one was just sent, so a response may come yet.

Just wanted to reiterate, zero and I are open to alternative methods of allowing registration if anyone has ideas that wouldn't take too much effort/time.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:58 pm

I changed a couple of things, but I don't know too much about what I'm doing. Is this any better, worse, or the same? I'm not sure if I get what specific color you're talking about, though; all the blues seem very light to me. Like pastels.

Also, you can change what theme appears for you by looking in your preferences. If you click your username in the top-right of the page, and click "User Control Panel", then go to "Board Preferences", then see "My board style". (Or click this link, and look for "My board style".) prosilver_pweb is the current default and the only one I spent any real time with, but you could try the others to see if any are less aggravating.
Looks better to me. Thanks for your work!
Pweb member since 2000

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:46 pm

Glad to see this forum is still around...nice update!
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:14 pm

Thank you Zero for all the hard work. I want to come back here. I miss you guys.

I also started a discord server because I hang out there a lot. I guess anyone who makes it in here is fine to see the link:

https://discord.gg/EeMRay6

It's half chat/half forum. I don't want to replace pweb but it's like a ghost town here and if there's a way to link the two I'd be all for it!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Tech_zeroguy
Techie
Techie

Re: Upgrades

Postby Tech_zeroguy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Testing, testing... phpbb upgraded to v3.2.5. It looks like everything went smoothly; give a shout if something seems broken.

Edit: also, HTTPS/TLS has been turned on. I've made it optional, so you need to manually go to https://philoticweb.net/ to use it, if you want.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Tue May 21, 2019 8:46 pm

Thanks for keeping the lights on Sandwich Boy. 😀
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Tech_zeroguy
Techie
Techie

Postby Tech_zeroguy » Sun May 22, 2022 7:51 pm

...oh hi there! phpBB upgraded again after some stuff broke (3.3.7). Some stuff needed some manual fixing, but it all looks alright now? I think?

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:43 pm

Looks good to me!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat May 28, 2022 9:26 am

ZERO! I miss you! Even though I've never met you!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Tech_zeroguy
Techie
Techie

Postby Tech_zeroguy » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:17 pm

Posting was broken for many/most/all people, but it should be fixed now. If you got an error while trying to post because your IP address was "blacklisted", that shouldn't happen anymore.

...and there's my post for the year. Still made it in 2023! :stoned:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:31 pm

Thanks zero!!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”