Quarantine

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Quarantine

Postby Satya » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:45 pm

I hope everyone out there in self-isolation is well.

Are you catching up on reading? Binging some shows?
Discord ID: AJ#0001

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Re: Quarantine

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:00 am

Trying to entertain an almost one-year-old while my husband works from home and I finish up my last class (online) for medical school graduation.

I wish I had time to binge watch... I am trying to read some books!
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:51 am

It's been interesting.

I fell like we should have it relatively easy;

three adults working from home and one 4.5 year old (so I don't have to home school, just keep him alive and not 100% TV all day).

But

My Husband and sister have offices upstairs and my work desktop has not wifi so I'm downstairs plugged into the modem and spend most of my work day taking care of Ronan.

I've started working split shifts. I work from 9am-4 pm with a long 2ish hour lunch. then work from 9PM to midnight after Ronan is asleep

I get more done in the three hours at night.

and I'm really tired.

and feel like I'm not doing enough. (and its all kinda mind numbing) :bash:

and just want to sleep all day. :shrug:

BUT we're all healthy! And my parents and siblings and family living elsewhere are all healthy so far (though they are all in different "hot zones".

And Chris' mom made us some sweet masks to wear.

And we are well stocked on all the foods.

and all three of us still have jobs.

so all in all were good. but i'm TIRED

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 pm

I'm glad to hear you're both healthy and safe!

Yeah, filling time and adapting are the toughest so far. Having just come off the stroke and being shut-in for awhile anyway, at least that change wasn't new for me. As far as school, the clients I was working with in some physical rehab/therapy type of things, most are immunocompromised in the first place so that department was shut down early, switched to all online-classwork like everything else since then.
Been watching Picard, Dark Side of the Ring, and watching all the seasons of Angry Video Game Nerd that I never watched. Playing Hollow Knight, Ghost of a Tail (highly recommend).
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42 pm

Likewise don't have the time or energy to binge or read as much as I'd like.

My workplace is closed and has been since mid-March, but I'm still pulling regular hours, and having to train not one but two new staff, which is more exhausting from home. Also still have my work-related volunteering, which takes a few hours of my day many days.

I live for weekends, when it seems everyone has agreed to just not work.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:24 pm

Hope you're all staying safe too! And I hope all of yall have been doing well the couple years since I've been here.

Mostly still working 50 hour weeks, just remotely. A small bit of reading (Poe's Mask of the Red Death was the most recent. Waiting on a friend to pick a book for us to read together). A wide variety of podcasts. Netflix binging during meals... sometimes when I work too (keep that on the DL). And here I am popping back onto my old forums; you all were first on my list.

Mostly, I've been writing. The boring tediousness of work became a catalyst for my creative side. And, half-way through last year I stumbled across my once-in-a-lifetime idea for a book/book series that hasn't really been done before (far as my research), so I've been working on that. Recently had some concept art done for one the characters.

Also working on a short story and have been writing a poetry series I call "Pandemic Poems" since the start of this month. Done four so far.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:16 pm

Quarantine has been incredibly stupidly hard. My workplace shut down a week before CA shutdown, so we had a head start on remote work, but I’ve pulled so many long hours and split hours it feels like I don’t know when work ends and home begins anymore. It wasn’t too bad in April, but then we started season two to begin production simultaneously with season one in May, so double the workload with no additional personnel and that was insanely hard especially as they had me working two job titles simultaneously, luckily I fobbed off the visual effects editing on another poor sap and just got to spend time on season two the past three weeks, but we were so behind it’s really only this last week that has been less than fifty five hours per week. Not that they’re paying overtime (my job is on a 55hr/wk contract so OT kicks in after eleven hours worked). Not that I even know what overtime is anymore when I have to leave work to do dinner and bed/bath routines for a couple hours and then go back to work how do I even know when an eleven hour shift is up? Do I work the full eleven hours even if on the lot we were only working nine or ten? What is a lunch break or a coffee break anymore they’ve all just gone away. On top of trying to parent two high intensity kids while my wife also has a full time job.

Perhaps the most infuriating thing of all is just how little the elected leaders even in Cali care about people, rent/mortgage forgiveness/assistance have failed in the legislature with a majority of yes votes because half of democrats simply voted present (meaning no absolute majority). I’ve been complaining for years that not electing renters was terrible of voters and here it is having elected only landlords is causing incredible strife and accelerating the housing crisis. And don’t even get me started on the blase indifference of our leadership to schools and childcare, the lack of planning and leadership in those two areas is just staggering.

On the other hand in April I got to spend a ton of time with the kids which was good.

Dreading the coming second wave and horrified that the government is totally fine with 1000 deaths a day. So long as they have the equipment capacity to let us die they’re completely cool with a high death status quo.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:33 pm

This is a heck an experience, isn't it? I'm incredibly fortunate in that my job (enterprise technology sales) can be done anywhere and working in the A&D space my potential customers are still investing in technology. Add to that my wife already stayed at home with both of our boys (9 and 6) so aside from me shifting to fully remote work instead of going into the office, it hasn't been too much of a disruption.

That said, now that we're four months into this thing and missed out on things like Kindergarten graduation, 3rd grade graduation (my oldest will go to a new school next year), and summer time activities, it's really starting to weigh on the kids. Which, of course, means it's starting to weigh on all of us. We tried to safely re-introduce an element of normalcy, but with the number of cases spiking again in Oregon we're playing it a lot safer again. It's just not worth it.

As far as catching up on reading and stuff, I'm reading a lot less, but watching more TV. My commute was an hour each way, so I'd listen to 20ish books a year on top of reading 10-15 others. But without that commute time, I'm not getting thru nearly as many books. That said, we have watched The Witcher, Goliath, all nine seasons of Suits, and another show or two that I can't remember which is way more TV than we usually watch. At this point, I'm counting down the days until baseball and basketball comes back - even if I'm torn of whether or not it should.

-Craig

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:20 am

Quarantine is basically over for us, which is weird because our local situation is basically the same as it was in April. Except we have a lot more testing and no major PPE issues. We’ve fortunately not been hit hard—just a steady low number of cases with occasional long-term care facility outbreaks they try to respond to as quickly as possible with variable success.
I started residency, so I’m at the hospital every day (no patient contact in my area). My husband is alternating weeks working from home and in the office, so our 1-year-old is back in daycare full time, though with only half the number of kids that used to go there.
Both our jobs require masks except in private offices. But aside from that, things feel pretty normal. Except the world is very not normal. And I have no idea what the bottom half of my new coworkers’ faces look like.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:54 pm

Despite being in one of the currently safest places in the US (Addison County, Vermont), it still feels weird to interact with people.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:55 pm

I get my first dose of the COVID vaccine on Tuesday :stoned:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:51 pm

Yay! Glad you're one step closer to safety.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:58 am

I had to reschedule my first dose as we are quarantining due a daycare outbreak. Hopefully I can get it late next week or the week after though!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:54 pm

\o/
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Return to “Milagre Town Square”