Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Re: Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:28 pm

(shameless family-member promotion commencing)
Okay, so I think this is the right place for this:

My dad has a new novel coming out.

It's the first in a series he's been working on for essentially my entire life, and he finally got a publisher for the first three in the series, but unfortunately they're not doing very much to promote it. I would be forever grateful if you guys would give it a read, and if you like it, suggest it to your friends. There are a few more books that he has planned / partially written, but it's unlikely that they'll make it to print if this one doesn't do reasonably well.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:04 pm

I'll see what I can do!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:02 pm

Wish my particular work community was more literacy-friendly...then I could suggest our Adult Services department purchase it for the collection. But, I'll do my best to spread the word.

Good luck to your dad!
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:27 pm

Thanks guys :)
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:08 am

Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler is amazing. Read it. :stamp:
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52 pm

From The Mabinogian, a collection of ancient stories, collected into the first examples of Welsh literature, around the 12th century, is one of my favorite passages; in it, Arawn, the god of Death, Prince of Annwn - the netherworld, speaks to a mighty hunter-king, Pwyll, whom he has enlisted to aid him in a cosmic struggle against Hafgan, his rival, with whom he is too evenly matched to defeat himself. Prior to this titanic conflict for the fate of the world, Arawn discusses the veil over the eyes of humanity to the supernatural world:

Arawn said: "No man has yet truly worshipped any God. In essence all Gods are the same, and One; but few mortals have glimpsed that Untellable Glory, and no human mind may hold it. So around the little they can remember those seers fashion poor clumsy unlikenesses in their own image, and preach of these to men."

Arawn looked at him, and in the measureless depths of his strange, sun-bright black eyes were a sorrow and pity beyond man's understanding: the pity of a man for a child's sorrow, and the pity of a God for his suffering creation. The misery that he has caused all creatures by creating them, and must share, or be less than God or man.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Return to “Milagre Town Square”