Things I Don't Understand

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Things I Don't Understand

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:06 pm

Why the condo is suddenly infested with fruit flies. Seriously. They just showed up sometime last week, it seems, and have made themselves at home. zero is pretty much anti-killing of anything (though doesn't say anything to me if I do it), so I try not to but they're not really listening to my verbal requests to pack up and move out.

I'm half-tempted to get some spiders.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:58 pm

It starts with spiders, then you're getting birds, cats, dogs, goats, cows, kits, cats, sacks and wives...it never ends!
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:10 am

But if you brought spiders into the condo, you'd have to do this...

Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:10 am

:D

I do not understand how two weeks passed without me finishing a single book until last night/this morning. My average tends to be a book every other day.

I also do not understand how my Comics and Graphic Novel MOOC is already, for all intents and purposes, over. I need to wait on three scores to know my grade but the work is done and the lectures are done. We just started!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:22 am

I do not understand why academics feel the need to be so unnecessarily difficult in the language they use.

If you want to tell me that John is an adult and will learn to read (and more!) if he is given real world context instead of random, unrelated sentences in a primer like "Mary has a ball.", just say that! Why do I need 20 pages on praxis and John being more aware of the world than an animal and having the ability to decode and decodify (similar words with different meanings) and interiorizing (can't we say internalizing?) the culture of his dominator and needing to negate their culture with his culture, which he can't do unless he learns how to decodify -which is infinitely better for him to do than simply learn to decode, etc?

I feel like readings are just a test of a student's patience more than a test of their ability to understand anything.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:45 am

GD,

Wait--I'm confused.

That whole second paragraph, the one that follows your concern over "why academics feel the need to be so unnecessarily difficult in the language they use;" is that YOUR paragraph? Or are you making fun of such words as "decode," "decodify," "interiorizing," "internalizing," and "culture of his dominator"? Etcetera. Seriously--most of those words do not show up on my spell-check.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:03 pm

Or are you making fun of such words as "decode," "decodify," "interiorizing," "internalizing," and "culture of his dominator"? Etcetera. Seriously--most of those words do not show up on my spell-check.
Making fun of, though "internalizing" is my replacement for the less clear, when related to people, "interiorizing" that the article used. Those are pulled straight from the reading I just finished. The second half of the article was political in nature, so slightly easier for me to grasp but still used words from the first part. Conscientization was also one that they threw around all willy nilly.

There were some half-serious cries of "Please just use English!"

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:12 pm

There were some half-serious cries of "Please just use English!"
Hear! Hear!
--Boothby

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Another school-relating lack of understanding.

Students were sent this, as part of an email before our boot-camp next week:
It is highly recommended that you complete most of the readings by the time you arrive on-campus. These readings are embedded within each week of the course space. Students in past semesters have suggested that students take notes in the margins of the articles to aid in discussions during your on-campus week and to assist in other assignments while you are here.
I bolded the part I don't understand. Who wouldn't take notes as they read, either in the margins or otherwise? How else do people remember what they've read? It's a lot of reading to try to remember.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:20 pm

I just don't take notes, period - I find it highly distracting. I think this is just a case of different brains processing things differently.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:20 am

I think this is just a case of different brains processing things differently.
Yeah. :)

For me, active reading/note-taking makes it much slower going but the payoff is I can glance at my notes in the margin or my own-worded summary I do on the back and recall what I read quite easily whereas not taking notes leaves me scratching my head wondering what was included in that particular reading despite having read it. Especially if it's as many readings in so short a time as this was for me. If it were a reading or two a week, it'd be slightly different for me, I think.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:11 pm

I am the high bider on a lot of stuff that was ordered and stored at a freight company by a big big hog farm. So i'm happy n all because I got the big variable speed head milling machine I want for my shop, and damn cheap too . The bad all the wierd stuff the big factory farm bought before they went broke thats stored there went with. Sometimes I get lucky and use up the random stuff or re-sell it but sometimes I have no idea what the hell the stuff is. I got this huge crate hauled th the feed plant warehouse and tore it apart and it looks like this big kiln of some sort and runs on LPG and 3phase electric. I and some costomers n friends have all been stopping by and guessing and Iv'e heard it all I thought and then our local vet came by and solved it and it's totally creepifying. It's a brand new shiny cremating machine! Just about puked when he said it! It's built like for big farms where I spose they can't dig a hole or they have like a whole lot of dead livestock! How I'm going to sell the thing I have no idea. :shock:

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:00 pm

I think I understand how Ender felt to get so damn old. Time keeps going by faster even the weeks fly by with blurring speed. Why can't we spool it down a bit breathe a little slower, savor the ice melting ,smothing out the scotch.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:25 am

I think I understand how Ender felt to get so damn old. Time keeps going by faster even the weeks fly by with blurring speed. Why can't we spool it down a bit breathe a little slower, savor the ice melting ,smothing out the scotch.
Better get yourself a near-C spaceship, eh?
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:35 pm

Can ya hook me up Elf? I'll put you on my crew, I promise high adventure, thrilling heroics and of course trouble. :angel:

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:47 pm

I don't understand how I can be in a party planning business with my 2 close friends, but yet none of our acquaintances seem to realize that, not only am I apart of the business, it was MY idea in the first place to get together and start planning parties. I'm baffled! This week, while chatting with 2 friends about a mass of birthday parties in their families all together, one mentioned how she wanted to hire my 2 friends to do one of her parties. I'm happy that our business is getting out, but I'm hurt that no one thinks I'm involved.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:03 pm

Our oldest girl Vickie is getting married again this August and I don't like or understand it.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:41 am

I could tell something was up at dinner last night. Julie n I only have 3 girls left (of our own) in the house, after passing me the bread Sarah tells me she's going to move in with her boyfriend n starts tearing up when she looks up at me then Kylie blurts out that she's moving in with CJ her boyfriend and of course she's crying cuz Kylie always crys! It's time I suppose but I hate it. Sarah is teaching now and has not been sleeping at home a lot so I quess she has been kinda slowly moving out for a while, but Kylie is a suprise I thought she would stay till she is done with school and be able to work as a full blown Geologist. So all the girls are crying thinking theyre gonna break me, and I am damn sad, but If my Maddie ever grows up and leaves I'll cry for shure, She's a senior this year and she is busy and gorgeous and boys are crawling out of the woodwork looking after her. Someday the farm is gonna be too damn quiet!

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue May 17, 2016 10:26 pm

Where in the hell are all you bums hiding! :deadhorse:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 18, 2016 9:41 am

:wave: Not hiding. Just perpetually exhausted by work, dog, and house-buying. Still here, though.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed May 18, 2016 1:45 pm

I'm not hiding on purpose! Just busy/lazy. I really do need to post more!

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed May 18, 2016 3:38 pm

I'm around, more or less.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Wed May 18, 2016 4:37 pm

I'm not hiding either! And still check PWEB more or less regularly. I just find I don't have much to say anymore :(.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 18, 2016 8:57 pm

Awww. I like all of you people. Seeing posts from you made me happy. :)

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu May 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Good to see a burst of posting, I miss ya all too! i

Return to “Milagre Town Square”