#001 - The First Battle School Engineer (Stephen Sywak)

A new podcast featuring interviews and news of interest to the Ender's Game fan community.
Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

#001 - The First Battle School Engineer (Stephen Sywak)

Postby Taalcon » Sat May 26, 2012 6:42 am

How to subscribe (it’s free!):
1. Open iTunes
2. At the very top click “Advanced”
3. Move down and click “Subscribe to Podcast”
4. Copy this link into the box (without quotation marks): “http://endersansible.com/category/podcast/feed/
5. Hit “Submit”

THE PHILOTIC ANSIBLE: Episode #001 - The First Battle School Engineer
Other listening options here at Ender's Ansible

We are very pleased to present the first of (we hope) many podcast features resulting from the partnership of The Philotic Web Ender Fan Community, and Ender’s Ansible.

This, our first, features an interview by Alea (GravityDefier) with Steve Sywak (Boothby), one of the original Five Founders of The Philotic Web over a decade ago, and the first ‘official’ Battle School Engineer. His designs, science, and practical explanations of Battle School technology were featured at Orson Scott Card’s EnderCon 2002, an in depth chapter on Battle School technology and design for The Authorized Ender Companion, and are the basis for the designs of the Battle School as seen in the Marvel Comics adaptation of Ender’s Game (see below).

Listening options here at Ender's Ansible

In this insightful podcast, recorded a few months ago, Steve explains his history, background, and experience, such as being lead mechanical engineer for the Cirque Du Soleil show Ka, which, according to Steve, featured the best, and closest approximation to live Zero G Battle sequences he could have imagined. (After listening to his description of the “battle belts” Steve engineered for Ka, you might re-visit OSC’s set visit, and description of the Zero G fight system being used in the film!)

Steve's Work, as realized by Darian Robbins, Marvel Comics, and himself!

NOTE: While Steve has worked with OSC on developing this material for the Ender fan community for over a decade, as far as we are aware, his visual designs have not been utilized by Summit Entertainment for their film version of the Battle School (Much to Steve’s great disappointment). Thus, what you see below most likely has no connection with the film’s version of the Battle School.

Last edited by Taalcon on Sat May 26, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Re: The PHILOTIC ANSIBLE PODCAST Thread

Postby Boothby » Sat May 26, 2012 11:27 am

It looks great, Dave! Thank you.

A few points: I didn't just engineer material for Ka. I was the lead mechanical engineer for the show. I also did the engineering on the "battle belts" that OSC recently mentioned, regarding his trip to the set. Those were originally developed by Cirque, for Ka.

Also, since we don't actually know if my designs are or are not being used by the production, I'd love to see a more vague reference to that, if you could...
:stamp:
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Sat May 26, 2012 12:04 pm

Great job Dave, Alea and Steve! You guys are awesomeeeee :D
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council
http://endersansible.com

Taalcon
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Prodigal Son

Postby Taalcon » Sat May 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Steve, I slightly edited the copy above and on the main page based on your notes. Hope that's better.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun May 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Finally had a chance to sit down and listen to this and it was awesome and interesting, of course. It was cool finally hearing your history, Steve, since I don't think I've ever seen it all in one place. Something is up with your mic, though! For reals. You should have that checked out.

Man. Completely forgot about that Bugger drawing, though.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Mon May 28, 2012 7:51 am

yeah, I noticed that the microphone adds a lot of "umms" to my speech.
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Thu May 31, 2012 11:23 pm

Mich I posted that bugger drawing in my fan art section!

Also here's how to subscribe manually:

How to subscribe:
1. Open iTunes (
2. At the very top click “Advanced”
3. Move down and click “Subscribe to Podcast”
4. Copy this link into the box (without quotation marks): “http://endersansible.com/category/podcast/feed/
5. Hit “Submit”
"Even though faith is above reason, there can never be any real disagreement between faith and reason, since it is the same God who reveals the mysteries and infuses faith, and who has endowed the human mind with the light of reason." -The Catholic Church, Session III, Chapter IV, Canon 5 of the First Vatican Council

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Re: #001 - The First Battle School Engineer (Stephen Sywak)

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:01 pm

So I'm finally listening to this, and it's weird hearing people's voices for the first time.

Boothby sounds pretty similar to what I would have expected, but Alea sounds much girlier!

Also Jane's intro is great.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:12 pm

As long as "girlier" is not synonymous with "ditzy" or similar, I am okay with this. :)

Hope you like what Steve had to say; he was interesting to talk to.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:18 pm

As long as "girlier" is not synonymous with "ditzy" or similar, I am okay with this. :)
Haha, of course not :)
Hope you like what Steve had to say; he was interesting to talk to.
It was very interesting to listen to! I have a couple minutes left, and I've definitely enjoyed it so far :) Though I was hoping he'd use "Sunshine" as an example of good-story-and-awful-science.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Boothby » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Some 20 years ago, Polish scientists sent a mission to the sun to collect data.

To avoid having their ship burn up under the intense light and heat of the sun, they launched it at night...
--Boothby

Cassandra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cassandra » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Alea sounds much girlier!

Also Jane's intro is great.
Ha! Wait until the next one... I sound 10.

& I agree, I love Jane's intro.
Some 20 years ago, Polish scientists sent a mission to the sun to collect data.

To avoid having their ship burn up under the intense light and heat of the sun, they launched it at night...
DANG IT. I thought I was going to be the first one...

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:20 pm

thank you for posting up the podcast I'm late but I subscribed to it
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

Return to “The Philotic Ansible Podcast (In association with Ender's Ansible)”