Hard and Heavy

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Hard and Heavy

Postby AnthonyByakko » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:51 am

While this bastion of nerdity, this geekdom of PWeb has it's share of the light-hearted, I'm sure there are some metalheads lurking about, hiding their dark souls. Bare them in this thread to metal.

Some of my particular favorites, to ignite the conversation...

Dimmu Borgir
Morbid Angel
Lamb of God
Trivium
Children of Bodom
Dethklok (bonus points for those who know)
Slayer
Diary of Dreams
Fear Factory

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:07 pm

Fear Factory's Obsolete
Acid Bath
Cradle of Filth's Midian

Most metal band's only have an album or two I care for. Unless TOOL counts as metal.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:51 pm

It counts in my book.

Did you buy 10,000 Days?

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:02 am

I like power metal, namely Demons and Wizards. I especially like their album Touched by the Crimson King. In that vein, i also like Iced Earth, as the lead singer from Iced Earth is also the lead singer for Demons and Wizards. I like fast metal like that a bit more than mainstream metal. I am a drummer so I like stuff with fast and intricate sounding drums. If anyone has ever heard the title track the D+W's Crimson King, there is a double kick thats just amazing. K imma shut up now.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:36 am

I like power metal, namely Demons and Wizards. I especially like their album Touched by the Crimson King. In that vein, i also like Iced Earth, as the lead singer from Iced Earth is also the lead singer for Demons and Wizards. I like fast metal like that a bit more than mainstream metal. I am a drummer so I like stuff with fast and intricate sounding drums. If anyone has ever heard the title track the D+W's Crimson King, there is a double kick thats just amazing. K imma shut up now.
Demons and Wizards rock fo' sho'. I didn't like Crimson King as much as I liked previous work, namely Blood on my Hands, Fiddler on the Green, etc, but D&W are great.

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:02 am

I enjoy listening to Metal every once in a while, but only certain kinds. For example, if it sounds more like the singer is screaming than actually singing, I can't stand it. Right now, I'm listening to Lordi, who are just amazing.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:12 pm

It counts in my book.

Did you buy 10,000 Days?

Perhaps you remember the announcement of 10,000 Days release in the fall of 2004. I preordered it then. And waited, like, what, ten thousand days. But it was worth it. For weeks I'd blurt out "Fetch me the spirit, the son & the father" with a snooty well-to-do in my voice. I love every track on that album. It feels a lot more like AEnima (my first TOOL experience) then Lateralus & Salival.

I've managed to see them twice already but would go again in a heart beat. Have you read the lyrics for Rosetta Stoned? It's some of the funniest stuff Maynard's ever written.

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:18 pm

Hey Byakko, did you pay any attention to Killing Joke's last 2 albums?

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:37 pm

I'm not really a big fan of Heavy Metal, but I do like the fictional band Deathklok from Metalocalypse on Adult Swim.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:46 pm

No Bevis, I've never really heard much about Killing Joke. What style of metal are they?

I should probably add Nightwish and Dream Theater to my list...

Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bevis » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:00 pm

First off, I'm only vaguely aware of thier early stuff. What music I've heard of thier's from the '80s sounds like new wave punk.

Thier last 2 albums (Pandemonium & Killing Joke) were harder. Dirtier riffs, cacophonous additives similar to NIN, droning rythms and the occaisoinal math reference. The vocalist reminds me a lot of Lemmy of Motorhead but a bit lower. Lyrical content is very comparible to TOOL without Maynard's comic lean.

I particularly like Pandemonium (the title track is 8 minutes of repetitive bliss). There self-titled album is decent but they let thier politics control most of it and I usually find that to be an annoying distraction. Dave Grohl did the drums on that one, if you care for him.

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:45 pm

Grohl's a talented guy. The Foo Fighters aren't really my style, but you can't deny the ability to make good songs. I'll check it out.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”