Brontosaurus Lays an Egg

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Re: Brontosaurus Lays an Egg

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:33 am

I am honestly a bit relieved to hear all of this from you. I felt like such a grinch the whole pregnancy! It's okay to be grumpy as hell about it all, at least in my opinion! :kisses:

Also, :stoned: for more baby movements!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:31 am

I spent some time last night trying to write you some bad, personalized lyrics to BEP's My Humps
You too, eh? I have no intention to rewrite the whole song, but for the past couple months or so whenever I read this thread or talk to Kirsten that song starts playing in my head with the line replaced by "my lovely baby bump".
The enemy's fly is down.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:33 am

As always when I open this thread, I think "Baaaaaaaabieeeeeeeeeeessss!"
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:23 pm

You guys, you guys! Nom is smiling now!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Awwww! :love: What a big girl!

And, frankly, I am grateful you went through all this first, Ali, so that I am not totally caught off guard.

Also, now I have BEP in my head. But that's so not a bad thing! :D
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:34 pm

Damn you, VA Operations Center, and all of the websites you block!
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:35 pm

Damn you, VA Operations Center, and all of the websites you block!
That goes for you too, Sabic!
The enemy's fly is down.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:51 pm

Had the one-hour glucose test today. It wasn't that bad. Got there, drank some stuff that tasted like flat orange pop, but sweeter. Bleagh. The lab lady was really nice and SO talkative, and so that distracted me while I drank, which was good. Chugged the last third of it just to get it over. I had my doctor appointment right away afterwards, so I didn't have to do a lot of waiting around in the lobby for her to take my blood. Also, the nurse strongly approved of my having cottage cheese and almonds for breakfast. I was kind of shaky when we left - sugar crash - but some scrambled eggs, toast, and a nap set it right.

Doctor's appointment was fine. My urine looks good. My uterus is measuring on target, exactly. Little Bit's heartbeat is strong and where it should be. They're happy he's kicking and not surprised that I only feel him a few times a day. My blood pressure is exactly perfect textbook normal. I've gained too much weight, but not scary too-much. For my carpal tunnel, she recommends wrist braces, ice, and childbirth. She sympathizes with my acne and knee pain. I think I am boring my doctor to bits, really. That's probably good. Although, no idea what we're gonna talk about at our two-week appointments if things keep sailing along like this.

NOT that I'm complaining. Lord, really, please let my worst pregnancy problem be that I don't have anything interesting to tell my doctor.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:59 pm

So, I'm starting to read giving birth books seriously. I started going through a book on Bradley birth one night in Barnes and Nobel, and I'm starting at home with the book Natural Hospital Birth by Cynthia Gabriel. So far, so good. I'd recommend it based on the first three chapters. Will let you know if the recommendation stands later.

It is making me rethink my kind of namby-pamby stance on what I want to have happen. Basically, I keep hearing from people about how I have to be flexible, yadda yadda, because I don't want to be disappointed and birth is unpredictable. And, if you'd asked me an hour ago, I'd have probably said something to the effect of how I was struggling with trying to be committed to natural birth because it's what I want, while not being so committed that I end up being disappointed and upset at the end if we end up with a healthy mom and healthy baby. And I guess I still am wrestling with it, to a degree. But the author takes on those two pieces of argument very well -- the "don't be disappointed" and "birth is unpredictable" -- points and, in short, says that you might as well commit and make your desires known, because there's a chance you'll be disappointed anyways, if medical intervention needs to happen, but at least there won't be as much self-recrimination if you prepared and tried for what you wanted instead of feeling pushed into doing things. Which I hadn't really thought about. So, yeah, still struggling with it, but less afraid to think hard about what I'd like.

However, I would really appreciate it if I could get through more than a few pages without tearing up. Happened with the Bradley book in Barnes and Noble, too. Not sobbing or copious crying, just very quietly tearful. I'm not crying from fear or anxiety, and I'm also not crying from happiness or joy. I don't know what these tears are. But whenever I really start to think about the birth process, I get misty for some reason that I can't quite name. Damn, it's happening again. Maybe I'll figure out what it is as I go on.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:21 am

Doctor's appointment was fine. My urine looks good. My uterus is measuring on target, exactly. Little Bit's heartbeat is strong and where it should be. They're happy he's kicking and not surprised that I only feel him a few times a day. My blood pressure is exactly perfect textbook normal. I've gained too much weight, but not scary too-much. For my carpal tunnel, she recommends wrist braces, ice, and childbirth. She sympathizes with my acne and knee pain. I think I am boring my doctor to bits, really. That's probably good. Although, no idea what we're gonna talk about at our two-week appointments if things keep sailing along like this.
:love:
The enemy's fly is down.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:57 am

I keep forgetting to ask...Kirsten, have you gotten to see the documentary The Business of Being Born yet? There is also a book by the two that did the movie (Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein) called Your Best Birth that I have heard good things about but haven't read. But since you are in to reading birth books now, I thought you might want to check that one out.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks, Nom. I'm kind of debating looking at the movie again. I saw part of it a few weeks ago and then had to turn it off. Raised my anxiety level too high. It WAS thought-provoking, though, and I think is part of why I'm taking the "research options for giving birth" so seriously.

The reviews I looked at on the book on Amazon kind of make me nervous to touch the book until after the baby is born.

(Okay, Nom, the rest of this is sort of my thoughts on everything I've looked at so far, so please don't take this personally as a rejection of your recommendations. Just kind of what I'm going through in reading things and learning things and trying to choose what I learn.)

I DO believe births are too medicalized, and I DO understand that the rates of c-sections in this country are abhorrent. Also, I know scary-well the business side of the mental health field, and I have a feeling those insights can probably be extrapolated to the physical health field. That said, I know that there are wonderful, professional people who honestly want the best for their clients within the mental health field -- and this is the majority -- and I do imagine the same is true physical-health wise.

So, long story short, I want to have my baby with a doctor attending and with the option of a c-section seconds away if I do need it. I'm probably going to go to a birth center that's attached to a hospital if my pregnancy remains low-risk. I absolutely do not consider home birth to be an option, at least, not this time around. Feeling safe is a big part of the experience, and I think I would panic if I were at home and didn't have the knowledge that there were all sorts of people around whose job it was to make sure we're going to get through this.

Good news is that I have two friends who gave birth at the center -- one naturally and one with epidural/c-section -- and both had excellent, excellent things to say about the experience. Also, their policy is to give immediate skin-to-skin contact and they at least SAY they're supportive of natural birth. Although, my friend who did so WAS treated like something of an anomaly.

Anyhow, my desire to have a birth with the security of medical professionals around means I'm gonna have to find a way to work with the system and all its scary medicalness to still get a natural birth experience. And, therefore, I'm trying to find as many ways as possible to make that happen. I need to know what the common practices are, how to request and be supported in asking for something different -- and I also need to not feel like the professionals are my enemies, when they want me and my baby to be healthy and so do I. So, I'm kind of being careful to just dip my toes into the, "Look What Modern Medicine Has Done" water. It's a weird balance. It's what I'm liking about Natural Hospital Birth. It's firmly pro-natural birth -- but not anti-medical establishment, even though it's very honest about the difficulties with having both.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:53 pm

So, long story short, I want to have my baby with a doctor attending and with the option of a c-section seconds away if I do need it. I'm probably going to go to a birth center that's attached to a hospital if my pregnancy remains low-risk. I absolutely do not consider home birth to be an option, at least, not this time around. Feeling safe is a big part of the experience, and I think I would panic if I were at home and didn't have the knowledge that there were all sorts of people around whose job it was to make sure we're going to get through this.
Honestly, I think I would feel this same way were I to ever give birth. I mostly liked that movie because it was informative, while not being clinical. I am a huge fan of doctors and medications. Seriously, I take tons of drugs! But I'm also a terrible patient, in that I don't just do what I'm told without question. I want to know everything about what is being done to me and why. I am a big advocate of being informed. And I never doubted that you would be and that you would make the best decision for you and little bit. *hugs*
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:09 pm

Big yes to being informed :)

~~

So, one of the exercises I'm reading about is to write or talk out your dream birth scenario. I mean, REALLY dream birth scenario. If there were no risks of complications and you knew you'd have enough strength to manage, where would you give birth, who would you want to be there, would that change as labor progresses, etc.

I was talking about it with Donny last night, which led to the following exchange:

Me: I'm supposed to be imagining where I'd like to give birth if I could do it anywhere in the world, but I don't know where I'd be.
Him: Well, you'd be in water, right? Maybe on a beach. And Jimmy Buffett would be there and singing "Cheeseburger in Paradise!"
Me: I don't want to give birth in the ocean!
Him: Well, okay, I know, but one of those big tub things, right? So, you'd have the water and Jimmy Buffett.
Me (actually trying not to hurt his feelings): Well, um, the thing is, I also think I'd want it to be really quiet so I could focus, so I don't know about Jimmy Buffett, hon.
Him: Well, of course, baby, Jimmy Buffett would be playing "Cheeseburger in Paradise" unplugged.

And this is where I dissolved into giggles.

Him (continuing): And it doesn't have to be Jimmy Buffett! Oooh! We could have Stevie Nicks come sing to us! And maybe Kenny Rogers could stop by!
~~~

So, I'm not making a lot of headway on imagining my ideal birth, but I'm learning a LOT about his.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:17 pm

Wow, that is hysterical. My husband would probably want The Cure singing at mine.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:21 pm

I'm pretty sure I laboured to my Heather Dale playlist. It got turned on and then switching up the music was not a priority, so I think it cycled 3 or 4 times.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:31 pm

One of my highschool best friends gave birth in one of those tub things and there were some pictures of the labor on FB (no nudity) and they are f****** terrifiying.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Oh man, I so don't want anything to do with a nautral birth. Better living through chemistry (and epidurals and wonderful wonderful pain control.)
-Kim

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:05 pm

I am watching Gone With the Wind.

I am also busy thanking God that I am not Melanie Wilkes, trying to give birth while Atlanta is being shelled and then getting driven in a horse and buggy over miles and miles of dirt road.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:04 pm

Oh man, I so don't want anything to do with a nautral birth. Better living through chemistry (and epidurals and wonderful wonderful pain control.)
I'm the exact opposite, I want to have a completely natural birth. My mother gave birth to me and my 3 siblings naturally and each year on our birthday she tells us the story of our births and they are all positive and wonderful stories (sometimes terribly long winded, but thats just my mom being mom). And I want to have the same experiences for myself. I'm not completely ruling out medications or c-sections if they become medically necessary, but I also believe medical interventions are sometimes pushed on mothers and not with there best interest in mind.

So I know things may change someday when I actually get pregnant and give birth but for as long as I can remember I have always wanted a natural birth.

Like Kirsten I would like to give birth in a hospital, preferably at a birthing center next to a hospital. I'm not against home births but I know my husband would never be comfortable with it and if he isn't happy or comfortable I won't be. We have talked about it we agree that a natural birth at a medical center of some sort is what we want. He will do everything he can to support me in a natural birth by advocating for me, listening to me, and making sure the Drs listen to both of us.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:11 pm

I am watching Gone With the Wind.

I am also busy thanking God that I am not Melanie Wilkes, trying to give birth while Atlanta is being shelled and then getting driven in a horse and buggy over miles and miles of dirt road.
One of my all time favorite movies! I've seen it countless times : )
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:48 am

Yes! So glad that I'm not Melanie Wilkes.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:48 pm

He finally kicked Donny!

Me: Did you feel that?
Him: I felt you burp.
Me: I didn't burp!
Him: Well, then I felt you hiccup?
Me: I didn't hiccup.
Him: Oh. Then, yeah, I guess I felt him!
Me: NOW do you get why I was never sure if it was him at the beginning of all this? :)
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:08 am

Huh, you don't need the whole url. Live and learn.

So much has happened in the past two months, I have no idea how to recount it all. Naomi is enormous now. And yet, when people comment on her in the street or wherever, they always call her so tiny! I know she still is, but she seems so, so big now to me. Her little fingers have chubbed out, and she's on her way to outgrowing the "newborn" sized clothes. Things I would have sworn she'd take months to fit into are rapidly becoming too small for her. She still has beautiful big blue eyes, and oddly enough, her uncle's eyebrows.

I still get a decent amount of sleep, for a new mom. She usually sleeps for 4ish hours overnight, and on a good night, 5 or even 6 hours. Once this week she was out for almost 7 hours, and I woke up and had some breakfast "while I could", and then got another 20 minutes' sleep before she started squeaking. Today has been all smiles from her! :stoned:

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:50 am

I love her. It's official.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:04 pm

:love: :love: :love:

Baby smiles! Beautiful!

She's so adorable. So's mommy's voice :)

~~~

27 Weeks! Not much to report. Getting bigger and bigger. Waiting patiently for stretch marks to appear. Reading SO MUCH about birth stuff right now. Atticus's movements are still not terribly frequent, but definitely stronger. Today I felt like inside of me was an enthusiastic little drummer boy, beating and kicking on everything in reach. Only lasted a little while, but rather funny.

Overemotional? Maybe a little. I get teary nearly every day right now. Not hysterical crying like happens when I get down about our job/financial situation, but just teary. Reading about birth or hearing something on the news or whatever. Especially when I read things about having your partner helping you in labor. Just anticipation, I think. Of this thing we're going to be going through together.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:24 pm

I love the little creature warming baby hats that are out right now. The little owls, penguins, racoons, bears, etc... I want one so bad! I hope they're still out next year! Buying anything baby stuff now would seem to much likea jinx.
-Kim

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:28 pm

What if one of us buys one and keeps for maybe-kimmie-maybe-not? Would that be a jinx?
Yay, I'm a llama again!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Hmmm... I will have to consult the jinx gods, but I think maybe it isn't?
-Kim

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Having others buy things that would be a jinx if bought by oneself is not a jinx if and only if the purchases are not given until the jinx-able period has passed.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Better living through chemistry (and epidurals and wonderful wonderful pain control.)
Eek. Only for certain definitions of better!!
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Well, drat. I'm playing phone tag with a nurse. The only thing she could have to be calling me about is the blood glucose screen. They informed me that they would NOT call me unless there's something to call about.

f****** f***. I'm going to have to do the fast and the three hour test, aren't I? Not to mention the possibility that it's going to turn up positive.

I KNEW things were going too smoothly.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:11 pm

*hugs*
I hate waiting to find out something like that. Let us know as you know!

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:14 pm

ETA: Right after I posted that, I got a call from the nurse.

1. I'm anemic and need to start taking an iron supplement twice a day.

2. My blood glucose was too high -- 174 instead of 130 -- and I do indeed have to do the three-hour test on Monday. Goody.

ARGH.

Today is making me quite displeased. This is sort of icing on the cake.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:17 pm

*wryly high-fives her pregnancy buddy*
Anemia for the win!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”