Dead Winners

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Bevis
Soldier
Soldier

Dead Winners

Postby Bevis » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:21 pm

http://www.adn.com/news/education/story ... 7091c.html

I've been searching news sites reading about dead candidates who still won whatever seat they were running for and found this article. It says originally there was a tie between the two candidates, one of whom died the day of the election. The disturbing part to me is that the tie-breaker is a coin toss. This is Alaskan state law & seems really silly. (Granted, I live in Indiana and can't buy carry-out alcahol on Sunday.) Shouldn't other elected officials perhaps vote in the case of a tie. I'm sure there has to be a better solution than a coin toss.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:15 pm

Not to degrade them, but it was only a rural school board. There are very few kids in the district anyway (43 according to http://www.greatschools.net/). A coin toss is rather silly, but it works. And in this case, it really wasn't necessary. Still, if the coin toss applies to the state legislature and mayors and such, it is getting a little too chancy with a lot more people.

Still, coin tosses are fair. I would hate to be one of the candidates whose position was determined soley by chance....
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Postby Paul » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:46 am

Heres one that makes me proud to be from Missouri. A couple years ago John Ashcroft lost his senate race to Mel Carnahan, even though he died about 11 days before the election.

The position was given to his wife.

<rant> Though, in the long run, im not sure that we did the right thing, right after he lost, W made him the attorney general, a position where he was able to do much more damage.... That was actually one of my first major gripes i had with bush. </rant>

Paul
Soldier
Soldier

Dead Man Wins County Board Seat By 12,000 Votes

Postby Paul » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:31 am

Geez, heres a new one...

Just saw this one on Dig.com. Dead Man Wins County Board Seat By 12,000 Votes
heres the link: http://wcco.com/watercooler/watercooler ... 30434.html

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:08 pm

I love the Mel Carnahan story, but yes, I wish that Ashcroft had not become attorney general.

Paul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Paul » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:20 pm

ah man, the hits keep on coming... heres another one from dig

Dead Democratic Candidate Beats Republican Incumbent in South Dakota
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061108/od ... 1108233829

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:31 pm

You know the republicans are on hard times when a dead democrat beats a living republican in South Dakota.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Paul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Paul » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:01 pm

You know the republicans are on hard times when a dead democrat beats a living republican in South Dakota.
you aint kidding... Its kinda a crazy switch. Heck, it wasnt to long ago that it seemed like the Dems couldnt win a race if their life depended on it...

Return to “Milagre Town Square”