Forum Structure

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Forum Structure

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:12 pm

I wanted to throw some thoughts out about the structure (not the design) of the forum. If we're going to move things, it may not be such a bad idea to clean things up when we do.

I think the books and movie parts of the forum (everything above the community) should stay as is.

However, I think Religion and Science boards should be reintegrated with Milagre. They just don't get enough action to justify being separate.

Jan will have control over the FAQs and we'll have the capability to get forum generated birthday information so the Foyer can, and probably should, be archived. The few new people we get can pop into Milagre to say hi.

I think the battle/game room should be moved from the Jeesh Lounge to the Community, so that the community would have the two sub-areas of Milagre and game room.

The Foyer archive could be moved to the Jeesh lounge, where all the archives can go. What other archives, you ask? Book and movie clubs, which we might combine and throw under the header of "(Disbanded) Clubs" or similar to help maintain a uniform look of two topics under each main heading.

I also think this little part of the board, the Discussion area, can probably be archived once everything is said and done since we should only need to worry about submissions -which would remain an active area- after the move, though if it wasn't archived, I'd be content with that.

Would anyone be terribly offended or dismayed by such changes? Does anyone have any other takes on how to clean up the forum? Opinions would be appreciated.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:15 pm

i agree for the most part.

i think the movie and book club elements would have better success in milagre anyway. the worst part is that they will get lost in page 2 and 3, but that's how all threads go.

games, science and religion were fine in milagre too for that matter. though i understand wanting to keep the really post heavy things separate. we just don't have so many active members right now that it should matter a whole lot. but it's good for when there's a bunch of members active. so i guess reintegrate the club section and science and religion with milagre and keep games separate so it's easy to erase posts or make posts not count towards post count. whatever.

for the most part we had the most success before we separated everything.

so i guess once the new board is up, we don't need the article section cuz it'll be fairly irrelevant rename community the jeesh lounge and have it just be the foyer, milagre, and the battle room. and the stuff that's currently in the jeesh lounge (aside from the battle room) should be put back into milagre. streamlined pweb easy peasy japanesy.
Ubernaustrum

waffleman
Soldier
Soldier

Postby waffleman » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:09 am

Remember one thing though. A new stream of members might be joining with a more attractive website. With more members you will have more posts and sections that have 2 or 3 posts will get more active.
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.
Pablo Picasso

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:52 am

The religion forum was created, IIRC, because we needed extra policing at the time. I haven't seen that sort of problem in a long while, though, so we can just possibly make a note in the FAQ that religion and/or hot-button topics are watched more carefully than other threads and that the member agreement is strictly enforced.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:54 am

My opinion on how the forum structure should be:

COMMUNITY
- Foyer
- Milagre
- Battle Room

OSC WORKS
- EnderVerse Novels and Stories
- Other OSC Works
- Movie Discussion (Official and Speculation)
Simplify it down lots. Put the religion and the science topics back into Milagre. Keep the Foyer for new people to introduce themselves in. Keep the Battle Room for all the stupid stuff.

Combine the two movie forums together and put them into a combined section with discussion on OSC works.

The Jeesh Lounge I don't really visit or care about, so whatever with that.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:13 pm

I vote for Jebus' structure. Simplify, simplify, simplify. If we should ever actually start attracting streams of new members, we can make it more complicated as the need drives us.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:01 pm

I'd say with the Lounge, just put it at the bottom as Jeesh Lounge, and have the various branches only visible from inside it. Other than that, I like Jebus' structure.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:36 pm

I'd say with the Lounge, just put it at the bottom as Jeesh Lounge, and have the various branches only visible from inside it. Other than that, I like Jebus' structure.

Where the "you" is really me, of course.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Me like this?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:02 pm

Yep. It's the new "royal We."

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Yup. I am entirely on board (heh- see what I did there?) with simple. I have wanted to make those kinds of changes for ages and this is the perfect excuse.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:09 am

I'm on board with it, as well. And this would definitely make for rational timing.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Sounds good - combining the two movie threads is especially a good thing, given we haven't had any actual news in years.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:44 pm

And it seems unlikely that there will be extensive or even rapid updates on the matter anytime soon.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:58 am

Indeed, though we live in hope.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:24 pm

http://forums.philoticweb.org/

I modified the forum so you guys could see what the new structure might look like. Little confused to do with the two clubs at the bottom though.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Bean_wannabe » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:38 pm

Looking good - will the icons be different for the different boards?

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Looking good - will the icons be different for the different boards?
YES.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”