From Alvin Maker to Wyrms
Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Treason

Postby Ela » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:05 pm

Has anyone read this book? My mother bought it at a library book sale, read it, and passed it on to me - where it sat on my coffee table for months, cause I was put off by the cover art. :P

I finally picked it up and read it last month. Very interesting story, and not at all what I expected! I won't say more right now, and will wait to see if anyone else has read it and has something to say. :)

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:42 pm

I read it and don't remember it at all. I own it! There are a couple of OSC's books I should really reread.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:08 pm

I have read it a few times and while it definitely has a different style, being one of OSCs earlier works, I found it very entertaining. It is more action-orientated but still makes you care about the characters. It's one that I would reread every few years, which is not something I would do for, say, Wyrms. That one is probably a two readings in a lifetime book for me.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:59 pm

I found it to be very different in style from other OSC works I have read. It's also a story with many unexpected twists and turns.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:10 pm

I certainly enjoyed the book. I have read both "versions" of it, and I'm not sure right now I could tell you what the differences were... I like them both and wouldn't mind reading it again (it's been quite a few years).

I, too, think reading Wyrms twice in a lifetime is about right. So far I've read it once, so maybe in another 10 years I'll do it again!
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:05 am

I liked Treason. I felt it may have dragged on a bit during the ending, but still rather enjoyable.

Is Wyrms bad, or just more memorable? I've heard of it, but never read any of it.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:46 am

For me, Wyrms was kind of...harsh or raw, or something. Almost difficult to read because I didn't like what was happening to the characters. It was just very different from anything else I've read of OSC. And not very pleasant for me personally.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:41 pm

truly, it's one of my favorite books by OSC.
Ubernaustrum

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:25 pm

Wyrms or Treason?

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:21 pm

I was wondering the same thing. :)

I am guessing he means Wyrms. I've never read it, myself.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:39 am

For me, Wyrms was kind of...harsh or raw, or something. Almost difficult to read because I didn't like what was happening to the characters. It was just very different from anything else I've read of OSC. And not very pleasant for me personally.
For some reason, this has given me great motivation to read Wyrms. Hm...

dgf hhw

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:01 pm

i was speaking of treason. sorry for the confusion.
Ubernaustrum

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:35 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. It would be very interesting to hear that someone's favorite OSC book was Wyrms.

zero, let us know what you think of Wyrms when you are done with it!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:12 pm

I JUST realized that I had totally confused Wyrms with Hart's Hope. I don't really remember Wyrms but everything I said about Wyrms, I really meant about Hart's Hope. I obviously need to reread Wyrms since I don't remember it at all.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:48 am

zero, let us know what you think of Wyrms when you are done with it!
Nearly forgot about this. Although I know you were talking about Hart's Hope at the time, eh, what the heck. I found it enjoyable, but I, as well, may not put it on the "re-read" pile. I feel kinda the same as I do about Songmaster and Treason. Something about those... I dunno, maybe it's just the endings of them that I don't really like. That's certainly the case with Wyrms, as I definitely preferred the first half-ish (up until about Will started talking more often) than the latter half. And honestly, I wanted to see the Angel/Will thing go the other way.

But oh well. The various races were certainly interesting, if a bit underexplored. Perhaps I'll pick up Hart's Hope sometime and see how I feel about that.

dgf hhw

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:06 am

Interesting. Songmaster is one of my favorite standalone (well, in the top 5) and I've probably read it 3-4 times. I really liked Treason too but in a different way as I think OSCs writing style was still in it's infancy then (I think I've read 2-3 times). I would give them both another chance someday.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:28 pm

I didn't love Songmaster at all. Too much gratuitous violence, IMHO.

One of my favorites is Pastwatch.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:07 pm

Hmm, I guess I conveniently forgot the violence. But yes, Pastwatch and Worthing Saga are probably my favorite standalones.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:50 am

**spoiler warning!!!**
I have read Treason four times now. I enjoy this novel very much. While it does not carry the same quality that, say, the Enderverse books carry, I would have to say this was the most enjoyable OSC book I have read. I love the character of Lanik and think that the book carries a very interesting viewpoint. OSC says a lot about Human character in this book, despite it being about a fictional planet with obviously fictional ideas. The first-person storyline makes it easy to understand the main character and his interactions with the different families on his planet. Told from this viewpoint, it is very easy to see how prejudices arise between different races over a given time-frame. I liked how the character resolves conflicts and overcomes his preconceived notions of the different races and cultures and comes to love them. He understands the difference between good and evil and in the end does what is ultimately right by destroying the Andersons and the Ambassadors. Despite it being one of his first, I think that Treason is one of Card's best novels due to it's statement about human nature and our tendency to despise what is different. We as humans tend to dislike any idea or culture that differs from our own, but we overlook the points of these that may coincide with our thoughts.This is true about the cultural interactions that Lanik faces during his travels. He sees the differences and, due to his outcast status, decides to embrace them. In doing so he finds that differences aren't all bad, and in many ways, helps him on his journey.

In short, I found, as I have time and again, that Treason is a great novel for the beginner to sci-fi and can be read again and again with something new to share each time.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:05 pm

There isn't much different in Planet Called Treason and Treason. He played with the POV a bit, made a few edits here and there, but by and large, it's the same book. So, what's the deal? Well, in his naiveté, he sold away most of the rights to the book, including any regarding an overhauled copy. So, he changed it enough to not be embarrassed its on the market (keep in mind: Treason was released shortly after he was gaining popularity with Ender's Game), but not enough that he'd put so much work into something he'd see no return from.

At any rate, I loved the book(s). It's rough around the edges, but everything I love in Scott I can find between the covers.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Ela » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:51 am

wigginboy, I agree with your assessment of Treason. I found it a very worthwhile read, for many of the reasons you mention.

CreoleBeanFan
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CreoleBeanFan » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:09 pm

I'm about two thirds of the way through, right at the part where Lannick arrives in Briton. This book has some of the best one-liners I've ever heard from OSC. I always end up laughing uproariously at random times when I'm reading

CreoleBeanFan
Launchie
Launchie

Postby CreoleBeanFan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:55 am

Finished it last night. Loved it. The ending was the best. OSC is the only author that consistentlys brings tears to my eyes with the emotional impact of his storytelling.

This book is a gem - it's going to be one of my favorite OSC works.

Return to “Other Orson Scott Card Novels, Stories and Adaptations”