magic. hart's. empire.

From Alvin Maker to Wyrms
Scott
Launchie
Launchie

magic. hart's. empire.

Postby Scott » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:40 pm

I got the following books from the library but I don't have time to read them all, can you recommend or rank them by personal preference for me? Thanks

1. Empire
2. Hart's Hope
3. Magic Street

Sorry, I wanted to add I am not looking for a review, just whether or not you enjoyed them.
Live every week like it's SHARK WEEK

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Re: magic. hart's. empire.

Postby Sibyl » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:10 pm

I got the following books from the library but I don't have time to read them all, can you recommend or rank them by personal preference for me? Thanks

1. Empire
2. Hart's Hope
3. Magic Street

Sorry, I wanted to add I am not looking for a review, just whether or not you enjoyed them.
1. Magic Street
2. Empire
3. Hart's Hope

But that's just me. I loved tracking the Christian Allegory in Magic Street, and I'm really into Urban Fantasy in general. I don't read military-spy stuff at all, unless it's OSC. And Hart's Hope is the kind of Myth/Mystic thing I also don't get. (again, worth reading, for me, because it's OSC.) For a person with different personal likes and dislikes, the order might be reversed or scrambled. I did enjoy all three.
It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Sibyl

Scott
Launchie
Launchie

Re: magic. hart's. empire.

Postby Scott » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:32 pm

1. Magic Street
2. Empire
3. Hart's Hope

But that's just me. I loved tracking the Christian Allegory in Magic Street, and I'm really into Urban Fantasy in general. I don't read military-spy stuff at all, unless it's OSC. And Hart's Hope is the kind of Myth/Mystic thing I also don't get. (again, worth reading, for me, because it's OSC.) For a person with different personal likes and dislikes, the order might be reversed or scrambled. I did enjoy all three.
I will try Magic Street first. Empire really doesn't sound like my cup of tea. I'll put Hart's Hope on the back burner.

Appreciate the input. Thanks.
Live every week like it's SHARK WEEK

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sibyl » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:46 pm

I've been feeling a little guilty about the response I posted here, and feel a little more clarification is in order.

I'd say "Hart's Hope" might be considered Great Literature, given another generation or two for the academics to notice it. But Great Literature isn't always"enjoyable." Either here or on Hatrack River I posted a list of books one probably should have read first, either one or more of them, to appreciate it, while my previous answer in the thread is a little slighting to it.

OSC is a fine, and _very_ diverse writer, and all three books are fine, each of its own kind, and probably _above_ most of their kind. Hart's Hope might even be the "best" of them (and Dark, and haunting), but it's too powerful to be "enjoyable".
It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Sibyl

Return to “Other Orson Scott Card Novels, Stories and Adaptations”