New OSC Interview

From Alvin Maker to Wyrms
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

New OSC Interview

Postby locke » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:06 pm

since I don't think we can update the main page at all, here's some interesting news.
Q. In light of the current market, are you tempted to write one of those enormous fantasy epics which continue to be the most successful series at the moment?

A. Not just tempted. I have wanted to do so for a long time. But I love working with contemporary fantasy, where characters from our world have to deal with magic from other times and places, as in Magic Street and Enchantment. So ... look for something rather soon from my "Mithermages" universe (only "Sandmagic" has been published from that world, though a soon-to-come anthology edited by Gardner Dozois will include the story "Stonefather," which is one of the best I've written in years).
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/2006 ... rview.html

Sandmagic is one of my favorite short stories, I'm very interested in his expanding that universe.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:20 pm

Between sf and fantasy, though, the differences are paper-thin. If you're writing fantasy well, it will be as intellectually rigorous and inventive as science fiction -- perhaps more so, since every speck of belief in magic systems must be earned and re-earned throughout the book, while scientific speculations don't require as much support to be accepted by the reader.
Wasn't it Ollie who said that at one of the writing workshops, OSC said the difference between fantasy and scifi was "replace trees with startships"? I kinda like that response better, heh.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Return to “Other Orson Scott Card Novels, Stories and Adaptations”