From Alvin Maker to Wyrms
wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

What next?

Postby wizzard » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:04 am

Hey folks. I'm writing my Christmas list, and I need a little advice on what OSC works to ask for.

I have read and enjoyed:
The Ender Series
Alvin Maker Series
Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus
Enchantment
First Meetings

I have read and hated:
The Shadow Series
The Homecoming Series

Please advise

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:45 am

I didn't really like the Shadow and Homecoming (sorta) series either... so, my recs:

Songmaster (which I'm reading right now)
Treason
Maps in a Mirror
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:54 pm

Treason is good.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:56 pm

I'll add my vote for Treason, though it can be hard to find.

You might like the Women of Genesis series, wizzard.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:54 pm

Sounds like Treason should be on my list.

I keep meaning to read the Women of Genesis series, and I'm sure I will eventually, but I can't ask for it for Christmas. I'm pretty sure my parents wouldn't approve.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Tcashon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Tcashon » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:15 am

Doesn't he have a new book out...."Empire" maybe? Check that out, it looked pretty interesting.

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:52 pm

Lovelock
Treason
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:08 pm

Lovelock too. For a quick read, I'd suggest First Meetings. Good, fun Ender background.

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sibyl » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:52 am

Sounds like Treason should be on my list.

I keep meaning to read the Women of Genesis series, and I'm sure I will eventually, but I can't ask for it for Christmas. I'm pretty sure my parents wouldn't approve.
As a parental (and grandparental) and religious (Christian, non-LDS) and Bible-History enthusiast and SF-freak type myself, I'm curious as to why you think your parents wouldn't approve? My own daughter learned to read from Piers Anthony's Xanth series, having the books read to her, and wanting more than the chapter (or three) per night that she got read aloud.

Sibyl

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:04 am

You should go with Treasure Box as well. I read it this week. Very good. It is hard to put down and it's not your typical OSC. (From the short list of books of his I've read, anyway.) (Come to think of it, is there a typical OSC?)

Yeah, I know it's past Christmas, but surely you got Christmas money, right?
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Re: What next?

Postby luminousnerd » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:18 pm

Hey folks. I'm writing my Christmas list, and I need a little advice on what OSC works to ask for.

I have read and enjoyed:
The Ender Series
Alvin Maker Series
Enchantment
First Meetings

I have read and hated:
The Shadow Series
The Homecoming Series

Please advise
Eek...I can't believe anyone could dislike the Shadow series OR the homecoming series!! XD

I like folk of the fringe, but it's definitely definitely mormon. Still good to read though, even though sometimes he tries to make you feel all good inside and if you're not mormon you just feel sick to your stomach.

Ua Lava
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ua Lava » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:15 pm

For a quick read, go with Empire. If you want something a little deeper, Worthing Saga.
We are only human. Nothing more, nothing less.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:27 pm

I hated the Worthing Saga. It was alright untill the end, when he started shoving Mormon theology down our throats
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:46 pm

I hated the Worthing Saga. It was alright untill the end, when he started shoving Mormon theology down our throats
I haven't read it, but Folk of the Fringe is this way too. What a tragedy :(
Knowledge is bliss. Ignorance just doesn't know what bliss means.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:18 pm

I liked Worthing until the end, however, with FotF I hated it from just about the first page.

luminousnerd
Soldier
Soldier

Postby luminousnerd » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:37 am

I liked Worthing until the end, however, with FotF I hated it from just about the first page.
Well I really really liked the first "chapter" (don't know what else to call them), until it started getting grotesquely mormon. I don't have a problem with mormon characters, but when the author relies on the hope that you'll feel all wholesome when someone is converted, he fails to make other areas interesting.
Knowledge is bliss. Ignorance just doesn't know what bliss means.

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:07 am

Well he layed it on pretty thick with the whole "Wah. The baptists were mean to us. Wah!" it was no fun.

Sibyl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sibyl » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:12 pm

Well I really really liked the first "chapter" (don't know what else to call them), until it started getting grotesquely mormon. I don't have a problem with mormon characters, but when the author relies on the hope that you'll feel all wholesome when someone is converted, he fails to make other areas interesting.
I can't agree here, really.

Digressing, it's not a novel with chapters, it's a collection of short stories, and in the edition I read, at least, he had another piece that explained how they came to be written, not in the "historical order" for that universe, but filling in back story with other stories. I think he also said in something somewhere else that he'd been wanting to do a universe about Community, specifically Mormon Community, since that's the one that he fits in and knows best of any.

I wouldn't call it "grotesquely" Mormon, it's just plain Mormon. And as a Christian, I _did_ feel all wholesome about the Baptism, even though it's not my kind of Baptism, as I also did in Lost Boys. It could just as easily have been a Christian Church Baptism, if that had been the community that Teague fell in with, and found a home and a community within.
Well he layed it on pretty thick with the whole "Wah. The baptists were mean to us. Wah!" it was no fun.
And I'd call that just plain offensive, trivializing the survivors of a genocide-- and yes, I do believe that Baptists as a group are capable of genocide, as are most human groups when they fall prey to mob psychology (which he also portrayed in one of the Speaker books, aimed at the piggies).

Card was recasting Mormon history of persecution, which is a part of American History that I've known all my life, first before the migration to Utah, and a couple of generations later when the Army went to Utah, shattered polygamous families by force, and put the husbands and fathers of those families in jail. While I'm not necessarily in favor of polygamy, and it can be very cruel to some women, given the nature of human males (not all of you) to regard women as property and not human, some women (with some husbands) function in that system very well. Ideally, I'd think the feds should have _asked_ the women, individually, if they wanted to opt out, and arranged for transportation and support of those who did, with the children who went with them, somewhere else, thus not taking a hard-and-fast line. In general, it _was_ persecution, and before the migration, there was quite a lot of mob-violence, blood and murder and lynching.

You're right about one thing, though, genocide is not "fun", no more than is Xenocide "fun."

And btw, just in case folks haven't noticed, I'm not a Mormon, though I've studied them some, my mother-in-law's brother was RLDS and Baptized her (I don't think it took: she was secular to the end of her life, but she said it made him feel better about her soul).

But I'm an Episcopalian.
It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Sibyl

shadow_8818
Soldier
Soldier

Postby shadow_8818 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:29 pm

I have read and enjoyed:
The Ender Series
Alvin Maker Series
Enchantment
First Meetings

I have read and hated:
The Shadow Series
The Homecoming Series

Please advise
You don't like the shadow series
Daniel- you know speaking in the third person has proven that your crazy.
Rodney- crazy like a fox

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:04 pm

I have read and enjoyed:
The Ender Series
Alvin Maker Series
Enchantment
First Meetings

I have read and hated:
The Shadow Series
The Homecoming Series

Please advise
You don't like the shadow series
That is the most obvious statement ever, since he already said that he didn't like the Shadow series. If you meant it as a question, go view the post I made for you in the "Question for Christians" thread in the "Religion" forum.
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Glass
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Glass » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:32 pm

Lovelock too. For a quick read, I'd suggest First Meetings. Good, fun Ender background.
Teacher's pest from first meetings was enjoyable
"...there silence suggested that they didn't want to talk about what they didn't want to talk about."

-from Teacher's Pest

Glass
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Glass » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:34 pm

I have read and enjoyed:
The Ender Series
Alvin Maker Series
Enchantment
First Meetings

I have read and hated:
The Shadow Series
The Homecoming Series

Please advise
Eek...I can't believe anyone could dislike the Shadow series OR the homecoming series!! XD

I like folk of the fringe, but it's definitely definitely mormon. Still good to read though, even though sometimes he tries to make you feel all good inside and if you're not mormon you just feel sick to your stomach.

Ender > Bean
"...there silence suggested that they didn't want to talk about what they didn't want to talk about."

-from Teacher's Pest

perspicacious.emperor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby perspicacious.emperor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:52 pm

I have read and enjoyed:
The Ender Series
Alvin Maker Series
Enchantment
First Meetings

I have read and hated:
The Shadow Series
The Homecoming Series

Please advise

Ender > Bean
Bean > Ender

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:55 pm

This can go on forever! But since the characterization of Ender hooked me into the Enderverse in the first place...

Ender > Bean.

Though I'll admit, Bean is a great character.

And also, for Pl14, post 600.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Return to “Other Orson Scott Card Novels, Stories and Adaptations”