Whats next?

From Alvin Maker to Wyrms
Froth
Soldier
Soldier

Whats next?

Postby Froth » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:04 am

Ive finished EiE. I got it Saturday night at about 9 and finished Sunday at about 5. And that's with a full nights rest of 8 hours and many lunch breaks, a nap, and church. But now I ask all of you OSC fans, what should be my next read by the great author we all love? I havnt read any of the short stories of Ederverse, nor anything outside of the Enderverse. Should I read those? Or should I move onto another one of his series? Or maybe just one of his single novels?...
*Insert hilariously accurate quote about the way the world works and a tad sexist about woman, that 99.9% of the forum wont laugh at, but Ill rofl for hours at*

such is me and my humor.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:15 pm

For our recommendations to other users, feel free to browse:

http://www.philoticweb.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1315
http://www.philoticweb.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=423
http://www.philoticweb.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=511

It's really not as though we can do too much personalizing in recommendations, though I suppose there can be some.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:18 pm

Screw those recommendations; listen to me! Worthing Saga, Maps in a Mirror (collection of short stories), Songmaster. I think I've also heard nothing but universal praise for Pastwatch, though I still have yet to read it myself.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:54 pm

Screw those recommendations; listen to me! Worthing Saga, Maps in a Mirror (collection of short stories), Songmaster. I think I've also heard nothing but universal praise for Pastwatch, though I still have yet to read it myself.
I started to read Pastwatch to glowing recommendations from a friend, but could never get into it. It's a very interesting premise, though, so I normally recommend it.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Froth
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Froth » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:46 am

My bad. >_> Should have read around a bit and looked for those other topics.
*Insert hilariously accurate quote about the way the world works and a tad sexist about woman, that 99.9% of the forum wont laugh at, but Ill rofl for hours at*

such is me and my humor.

wigginboy
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 2-2004

Postby wigginboy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:19 am

I started to read Pastwatch to glowing recommendations from a friend, but could never get into it. It's a very interesting premise, though, so I normally recommend it.
Pastwatch is an excellent book and a brilliantly developed idea. It took me a while to get into it but once I did, I was fascinated. The parts that deal exclusively with Columbus can be tedious as Card attempts to weave his story into actual history. When I read this book over, I tend to skip past the Columbus parts as they are less interesting to me. Indeed, the best work of the book shines through in the parts where the two histories meet and this is where the main conflict comes out and is resolved. In my opinion, it is well worth the read if you can get through a bit of boring historical fiction.That said, Worthing Saga is also an amazing read. I very much enjoy the way the stories are told and how they all come together to form a complete narrative. The universe described and the characters that inhabit it are complex and intriguing. One can also taste a hint of Mormon ideology in many of the themes, though, in my opinion, this is minimal and does not detract from the story. Card took the idea of space travel and planetary colonization to a new level and created a series of interweaving plot lines to tell a powerful and complex story that will thrill and delight readers.

I am partial to Treason, Lost Boys, Treasure Box and Empire as well as the aforementioned.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:45 pm

I <3'd Pastwatch. I'm actually a big fan of (well done) historical narrative though, so maybe it makes sense.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Return to “Other Orson Scott Card Novels, Stories and Adaptations”